“Good lamb, awesome Chilean empanadas, friendly service!”

Parrilla Los Ganaderos
Ranked #24 of 201 Restaurants in Punta Arenas
Price range: US$ 20 - US$ 40
Cuisines: Chilean
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 25 March 2017

Punta Arenas is almost at the "end of the world" so to speak, so while you will find awesome spots to eat, bear in mind the population in Punta Arenas does not sustain expensive eateries by itself, so everything you find will have some tweaks to meet tourist tastes.

Parilla Los Ganaderos offers a great parilla style restaurant (grilled game, meats, etc.) A lot of people have never eaten lamb before and they mistake it for something similar to beef. It is not, while it is a very tasty type of meat you have to eat it shortly after coming out of the grill. Otherwise the fatty tissue will begin to harden and the meat will began to whisper some sort of spoiled milk taste (I'm exaggerating, but somewhat like that). Also, this meat once cooked will NEVER taste the same if you reheat it. So if you are going to order lamb, make sure it has just left the grill or that it is specially cooked for you. Otherwise you will not have the same experience and therefore you'll read some of the critiques below.

If you don't want lamb, no one eats lamb twice in a week. They have beef, pork, fish and chicken dishes. One thing not to miss (here or anywhere in Chile) is to open your order with empanadas, either cheese or ground beef, etc. You'll love them.

Reviewed 14 March 2017

This steakhouse doesn't open until 8 PM. We had a nice evening here; but don't be in a hurry, you are here for the evening. Service was initially prompt but as the restaurant filled up with patrons, it became difficult to get a waiter's attention.
I had what they called a fillete but it was not a tenderloin, more like a rib eye. They cut their meat differently than in North America. It was cooked to medium rare as I had ordered and was quite good. My wife had the lamb that they featured and she was quite happy with her meal.

Reviewed 11 March 2017 via mobile

Saw a lot of locals coming in here and the parrilla so thought they should know how to cook their meat but how disappointing. Ordered the fillet need steak with chips and onions. Given South American meats was expecting something great but what a bad cut of meat it was. Asked for medium and the middle was raw like just thawed out of freezer. Extremely expensive, plus bottle of wine came to US$50. Waiters were nice though. But look elsewhere.

Reviewed 27 February 2017

We stayed in Punta Arenas for 3 nights last week, with a final night last week after visiting Torres del Paine. On our final night, we decided on a meal at Parilla Los Ganderos. The meal was average to very good. But I gave it an average because of the following... We arrived at 8 pm (opening) for dinner and were one of 4 tables seated . Our server was prompt and took our order right away. We ordered the crab appetizer and it was delicious, but needed salt. It was lacking in flavor, but freshness was good. Served on a bed of iceberg lettuce with fresh lemon wedges and two bug dollops of mayo? Also bread slices and a bit of butter and a small dish of chopped tomatoes and onions. We ordered our meal- a fillet and a t bone steak and some vegetables. I ordered mine medium, and it came out very rare.There was a bit more fat on my filet than I would expect at an upper end steak house. My husband finished my meal, it was too rare for me. The vegetables were sautéed in a lot of oil and vinegar, I was hoping for some steamed veggies... By the time we were served, it was packed in the restaurant, and the table next to us came in about 10 minutes after we were seated and never had their order taken. They ate the bread and finally got up and left. As far as I could see, the restaurant was understaffed and the service was very very slow. If you have several nights, put this on your list of places to try, if not, I'd stick with Luna Luna or Mesita Grande. Good food at other restaurants with better service and lower prices.

Reviewed 27 February 2017

The restaurant is very nice with a view to the water. The service is great - but the highlight is the lamb BBQ .