“Putting this meal into perspective...”

Parrilla Los Ganaderos
Ranked #25 of 202 Restaurants in Punta Arenas
Price range: US$ 20 - US$ 40
Cuisines: Chilean
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 27 February 2017

We stayed in Punta Arenas for 3 nights last week, with a final night last week after visiting Torres del Paine. On our final night, we decided on a meal at Parilla Los Ganderos. The meal was average to very good. But I gave it an average because of the following... We arrived at 8 pm (opening) for dinner and were one of 4 tables seated . Our server was prompt and took our order right away. We ordered the crab appetizer and it was delicious, but needed salt. It was lacking in flavor, but freshness was good. Served on a bed of iceberg lettuce with fresh lemon wedges and two bug dollops of mayo? Also bread slices and a bit of butter and a small dish of chopped tomatoes and onions. We ordered our meal- a fillet and a t bone steak and some vegetables. I ordered mine medium, and it came out very rare.There was a bit more fat on my filet than I would expect at an upper end steak house. My husband finished my meal, it was too rare for me. The vegetables were sautéed in a lot of oil and vinegar, I was hoping for some steamed veggies... By the time we were served, it was packed in the restaurant, and the table next to us came in about 10 minutes after we were seated and never had their order taken. They ate the bread and finally got up and left. As far as I could see, the restaurant was understaffed and the service was very very slow. If you have several nights, put this on your list of places to try, if not, I'd stick with Luna Luna or Mesita Grande. Good food at other restaurants with better service and lower prices.

Reviewed 27 February 2017

The restaurant is very nice with a view to the water. The service is great - but the highlight is the lamb BBQ .

Reviewed 8 February 2017

The experienced traveler can, in certain situations make big mistakes!
If you go to this restaurant you will make the same mistake!
Don't get distracted by the very nice decoration of the restaurant! You are going there not for the decoration, but for the MEAT!
In Patagonia, with one of the highest quality of lamb meat in earth, it is offensive, for the meat and to the customer to serve re-heated meat like this restaurant (it doesn't deserve the name) is currently doing
The meat deserve respect in roasting it! Every meat lover knows.
Beside the poor treatment and the offensive treatment of meat, this restaurant is extremely expensive.
If you like to have a good dinner better go beside it, to Sotito's restaurant, and you will enjoy the money you will spend.

Reviewed 6 February 2017

This was by far the best tasting cordero we tried during our entire time in Patagonia. It is expensive, but well worth the prize. Come with time to spare, so you can linger of the amazing meal.
We asked the waiter (great English, certainly better than our Spanish!) to help with the order and he suggested the potatoes (delicious) and the Chilean salad as sides to the cordero. It ended up being a delicious meal.

Reviewed 5 February 2017

I was wondering where to have my last meal in Punta Arenas and reflected that cordero is really the typical meat produce here. I was not disappointed to have decided for cordero at Los Ganaderos.
They have a huge open fire in a special room where the lambs are grilled strapped on metal crosses. A special cook officiates and turns them over, upside-down or recto-verso at regular intervals.
This ends up on the menu as the "cordero barbecue". Not cheap at 18000 clp but it consists of 3 dishes, served sequentially: chops, thigh and shoulder. These dishes are simply delicious. You get he crunchy roasted crust and the tender lamb meat inside cooked to perfection. This represents a rather huge amount of meet so there is no need for other foods although I could not resist a salad.
The is a very adequate wine-list and the service staff is kind, efficient and multilingual