Book In Advance

from US$ 68.00
from US$ 93.00
from US$ 51.00
More Info
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 12 January 2017 via mobile

Visit before sundown. In January see the flamingos. Have a tea picnic as you watch the sunset, but be sure to look at the mountains on the opposite side. Wear sneakers, shorts, a light jacket, sunglasses, a hat and sunblock.

1  Thank Cedar32
Reviewed 6 December 2016 via mobile

Awesome spot, incredibly quiet. Apart from the busloads of Tourists all wearing either just-bought-at-the-airport outfits, or high-fashion. Both vaguely inappropriate. Mind you. My stupid wide and effective hat, heavy biking boots and full cover dusty clothing was appropriate for the climate, but won't find me any dates soon. Or ever.
The info centre is well laid out, and the short walk with intermittent stopping spots just long enough. Spent an hour here, breathing, fully loving the scenery, and trying to stay away from the tour bus victims. Didn't help that some of them clearly didn't hear the guide indicate a clockwise route. The place isn't designed for idiots to walk the wrong way, and they are very particular that you not step off the narrow path into the actual salt field. However, they do encourage you to feel, smell and even taste the crystals and rock around you. There was a tiny fissure on the path through which I could see running water. Had to taste that. Yee gods, I shall never need salt again.

Reviewed 6 December 2016 via mobile

I'm from Antofagasta . So I'm used to desert. And to be honest I don't like it.. till I went to salar de atacama . Just there I could realize how beautiful the desert can be, so I totally recommend it.

Reviewed 5 July 2016

Every salar that we visited looked different and Salar de Atacama had its own beauty. The rough surface, with colorful puddles and lagoons, is magnificent to behold both up close and from far away, Chaxa Lagoon (reviewed separately) is a great place to experience Salar de Atacama.

1  Thank FactotumDellaCitta
Reviewed 19 March 2016

They say that the sunset views are different every day but always remarkable. For safety reasons they have zoned off the surface from walkers, so no repetition of my previous visit when I rescued a lady's hat which had blown off! Visits are usually part of tours to Laguna Cejar, which is less saline than the Dead Sea but impressive nonetheless.