“Fantastic hotel” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #6 of 338 Hotels in Siem Reap
Los Angeles
“Fantastic hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2010

Our experience at the Shinta Mani was excellent, from the minute we arrived. The staff greeted us with hotel scarves and a delicious fruit drink when we arrived. Our room was clean, spacious and elegant. Our room was right off the lobby, which concerned me initially, but hotel is very quiet. The restaurant has excellent service as well; the included breakfast is extensive, with plenty of hot/cold items, made-to-order omelet bar, fresh juices, fruit, muffins, etc.

There's also a small, peaceful pool area. The service at the pool is amazing, too: towels at every recliner, staff that take your drink order poolside. The spa is right next to the pool area, with reasonable prices.

The hotel runs a hospitality school that trains at-risk young people, then employs them at the hotel, so in addition to experiencing a great stay, you're supporting a great community program. The school must be excellent, considering the level of service we were treated to; we took a 530am tour of Angkor Wat and the staff offered to prepare a to-go breakfast for us - fruit, pastries, muffins. There's also a small library (lend/trade) and free Internet available.

The hotel is also close to the main street; the Night Market (highly recommend) is a 10-minute walk away; it's also a 5-minute walk to the Foreign Correspondents' Club, which is great for cocktails and/or dinner. Can't recommend Shinta Mani enough.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with friends
3 Thank Lillehammer09
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (644)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2010

“Shinta Mani was one of my most pleasant hotel experiences of my life. I stayed there for three nights and the hotel was a welcome retreat from the heat at the temples. The property is centrally-located and offers easy walking access to Pub Street, the Royal Gardens, and the riverside.

The most charming aspect of the hotel is the staff. They are genuinely considerate and welcoming. Perhaps this is because of the training school that exists on the property. During my stay, I had the chance to see the school and meet the culinary students who train there as part of the hotel's corporate social responsibility programs.

One my second night, I dined in the restaurant for a BBQ buffet. The choices were expansive and delicious, offering a good mix dishes with Asian and Western flavors. I also had breakfast at the hotel, which was also very enjoyable, although I would prefer a larger selection of decaffeinated teas.

On my last day at the hotel, I took a half day package at the spa. The treatments here are sublime. The quality of the therapists outmatched any of my previous experiences in the US. Each of the three treatments was perfectly balanced. I spent the entire day in a state of complete relaxation.

While I took the more expensive of the options, the price was still very reasonable compared to spa prices elsewhere. I would return to Cambodia simply to go back to this spa.

At the end of my stay, I was informed by the front office staff that the hotel would be renovating in April. While the additions for a larger pool and upgraded facilities sound nice, I hope that they do not change too much. I enjoyed the hotel perfectly the way that it is.”

• Stayed February 2010, travelled solo
5 Thank SEA_LION_PRIDE
Palo Alto, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 March 2010

I have travelled through 50 or 60 countries and stayed in accommodations ranging from backpackers' hostels to 5-star business hotels. Shinta Mani was among my best hotel experiences ever. My room was clean and spacious and, the pool formed the perfect conclusion to a day visiting the astonishing archaeological sites, the service was Khmer hospitality at its very best, and its name, which translates as "tranquility," is entirely accurate.

I have experienced faster Internet connection in Tokyo and a better wine list in Napa, but I believe that a hotel must be judged in the cultural context in which it is located. By that standard, Shinta Mani could not have been a better base from which to explore the treasures and pleasures of Cambodia.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled solo
2 Thank bkatz
Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 February 2010

You really can't go wrong. It's well under half the price of the Raffles and much less of a scene than the Hotel de la Paix (same owners as the Shinta Mani though, strangely enough). The reviews have already said it, but it's got a lovely little spa and the restaurant was a nice surprise. Breakfasts are great, and the coffee is fantastic. We did have lunch there one day -- green papaya salad is yumminess on a plate.

Provided you remind yourself about the service to the community that the hotel is trying to provide (read: do not expect a 5-star experience), I can't imagine a better place to spend a few days in Siem Reap.

Location is great. Walkable to the gardens (drinks at the Raffles), walkable to the FCC (drinks on the terrace) and the cute galleries there, and of course walkable into town.

Sidenote: we also had a great lunch at a place called Butterfly across the river. Had the whole garden to ourselves, quite a nice atmosphere and would recommend.

Stayed January 2010, travelled with friends
4 Thank SFinSing
Japan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 February 2010

My friend and I stayed at the Shinta Mani for four days last week. We spent a lot of time investigating all the various hotels in the area ahead of time and found that this hotel was a very good choice for us. We wanted to stay near the night scene but not right in town. The Shinta Mani is within walking distance of Pub Street and the markets. When it was too hot to walk we just caught a Tuk Tuk which were always available in front of the hotel. It was easy and inexpensive to get around that way. The hotel has two bicycles and I used one for touring around the hidden roads off the beaten path one day. However, I thought the bike would be free, but found out there was a minimal charge. Be sure to ask first as they didn't tell me ahead of time.

The staff is always eager to do whatever they can to help make your stay the best it can be. The lady manager wasn't always the most pleasant though. We set up tours with them and our guide was excellent and proficient in both English and his knowledge of Cambodian history. Even though it was a bit pricey the guide was worth it. The drivers were good and the vehicles were of recent vintage.

We had a pool side room which was spotless and in very good condition. The mini bar is stocked with soft drinks and is refilled every day free of charge. We were given a fruit basket filled with local fruits, chocolate truffles and a bag of locally grown cashews as a welcome gift which was a very nice touch. There were new bottles of water placed in the room every day too. It had a very nice shower, good air conditioning and a lovely view of the gorgeous pool. The pool was a little on the small side for real exercise but was refreshing and lovely to look at! The water fall added a soothing feeling which was great for relaxing.

The dining room puts out a lovely breakfast and you can order eggs in a variety of styles, including Eggs Benedict and delicious Eggs Florentine. We only ate breakfast there so I can't speak about other meals, but for breakfast there was always a fresh variety of fruits, breads and sweet rolls and cereals, coffee and juices. As an included meal for the price of the room the breakfast was exceptional. It would be great if they offered a Cambodian style choice for breakfast too though.

One of the nice things about a small hotel is that they can provide a personal touch unlike a big hotel. My departure flight was at midnight, but unfortunately I couldn't get a late check out since the hotel was full, so I checked out of the hotel at noon. They were kind to hold my bags and allowed me to continue to use all the facilities. I enjoyed sitting in the lovely open air library upstairs to write postcards and to read and relax. There is a computer there for the guests' use which I found to be a little finicky but it got the job done. I was able to use one of the spa rooms to cool off in the A/C, take a shower in one of the beautiful outdoor showers and change clothes after a full day of touring. I was very grateful for that prior to my flight!

We both had a facial at the hotel spa and it was a deluxe experience. We booked a half hour for the facial and also received a shoulder, head and neck massage which brought it up to close to an hour. After the treatment we were given hot tea and fresh spring rolls to enjoy. That was totally unexpected and very welcome! We had also tried some of the massage places in town and nothing compared to the Shinta Mani in cleanliness, professionalism and special treatment.

Because this is a training hotel, patience is a wise course. Also, be attentive to the exchange rate you receive when changing money. All in all it was a very good experience. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled with friends