See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 15 December 2016

My daughter and I stayed for two nights mid-week in mid-December. We booked at an extremely good price, the "phone" added $18.50, and the tax was $8.22 (see description of wifi and TV below). This hotel is not a "Rodeway Inn", but easily meets the standards of that organization.

The hotel had guests, but was clearly not heavily booked (the weather was supposed to be unfavorable this week). Getting off the AC Expressway, we must have passed two dozen hotels on our side of US-30.

The hotel's location on busy US-30 also has a railroad behind it and is under the AC International Airport's flight paths. This seems to have been allowed for in the buildings' construction (which was solid), as (on the first floor) we heard nothing -- except the one time (mid-day) that two Air Force fighter jets took off (there's an Air Force Reserves fighter wing based at the airport).

The hotel's exterior presented a neater appearance than those we'd passed, except for the top chains (Best Western, etc.). However, there were a few cosmetic signs of ageing. The walkways are nicely carpet-covered, despite being external.

Although we arrived earlier than I'd planned, check-in was a very firm 3 pm.

The room was as promised, a non-smoking one with two queen beds. We asked for first floor and got it (#104 specifically). The room was very, very clean and had no odors. The carpet is dated, but in very good condition for that (only an industrial-grade cleaning could do better). There is a small hangar nook (with the TV mounted above it). The beds were very good.

The furniture was matched -- solid and large, with granite tops. The dresser (with a very large mirror above it) was of a very good size, the rectangular table was similar (we used it as a computer desk -- it would take two laptops) and had two outlets beside it, and the small round table by the front window was suitable for small card games. A roll-around "office" chair and two solid wooden chairs (all padded). The curtains were solid and in good condition. The room is of a good size, but no more furniture will fit!

Note: the electrical outlets are two-prong. If using two laptops, bring a four-foot power strip with cheater-adapter.

It was cold out -- but the room's large AC/heater (which does show outward signs of much use) was in good condition and very, very powerful. The tall mini-fridge is in good condition, and the microwave very usable -- although the turntable-plate inside is missing a wheel and so turns a little lopsidely (which wasn't a problem for us, even though we used it extensively). (Note: bring ceramic cups/bowls.)

Wifi has a password but appears unencrypted -- it is barely okay for casual use, but definitely not for streaming videos/movies or for gaming. The seemingly-very-new TV-monitor (Comcast cable and HBO provided) is a nice 31-inch-diagonal and placed up high on an arm -- no neck-straining to see it! The TV-monitor has both USB and HDMI ports, so we connected a long HDMI cable from our gaming laptop, selected HDMI2 on the Inputs, and watched DVDs (only techs and gamer-geeks should attempt this).

We slept late, and did not sample the continental breakfast. We had gone across US-30 (we had to drive, even though the stores were almost right across) to both a Shop-Rite grocery (decent) and a Dollar Tree (great buys on snacks, tomato juice, etc.), so we had plenty.

Now, I want to compliment the housekeeping and maintenance in particular. The bathroom (where problems will show up quick), had obvious strong efforts applied to the drop ceiling and bathtub (and shower curtain). There was marring of the paint on the main room's back wall, where someone had clumsily moved the table, but that appeared to be recent (we did request a specific type of room).

My daughter and I are split on whether there is a slight draft from the bathroom when the door is open. In any event, the massive AC/heater will quickly heat the room right down to the carpet.

Note: a Jacuzzi Suite is available (2nd floor, I believe). Given the solid, quiet construction of the hotel, and it's good location yet Not Quite in Atlantic City, this might make a nice place for a new couple on a budget. The nearby Garden State Parkway provides fast access to the beaches at Wildwood (the only ones in New Jersey that don't require "beach tags") or even Cape May (with its ferry to Rehoboth Beach in Delaware). Route 9 will also take you up to the Historic Smithville shopping/restaurant site.

Room tip: Non-smoking rooms, and the suite has a jacuzzi.
Date of stay: December 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank Steven H
Reviewed 17 October 2016 via mobile

Stayed 3 nights in early October. Room had king sized bed, full bathroom, flat screen TV with ample cable package, microwave, and cold AC. Shopping center across highway which was a plus, I did not have to eat all my meals in restaurants as there was also a ShopRite for groceries. Enjoyed my stay at Empire Inn very much, about 8 miles to Atlantic City's casinos and beaches. "Breakfast" was a real disappointment with tiny cinnamon rolls out of a plastic package and so-so coffee. Overall, a very competitive price and value for your money.

Date of stay: October 2016
Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed 4 October 2016

We found this place based on the price (and reviews). It was a good price with decent reviews. I was nervous....what do you get for a room that was $20 (The weekend nights were a bit more pricey). We checked in and I was VERY happy!!!!!! We had no problem. I had paid ahead through a booking site and the gentleman that checked me in made sure that I knew that I was signing a paper that had 'zeros' in the price since I had prepaid. He also made sure I saw the spot on the paper that showed how many nights we were staying. (Most hotels are not that thorough...and I was very happy that he took that time, it made me feel much more secure!) The room was actually better than I expected! The carpet was a bit frayed around the edge of the tiles (by the sink)...but seriously...it's the end of the season...I know ocean hotels take a beating during the season. The only real issue we had was that the thermostat was covered and locked...and set on 74 degrees. WARM. We talked to the manager/owner and he was willing to change it for us but when we said we like to adjust it based on the time of the day (cooler in the evenings...warmer in the mornings since I like it warmer than my boyfriend) he agreed to take the cover off for us to allow us to be comfortable and make the adjustments that allow the two of us to co-exist peacefully. We would definitely stay here again should we be in the area again....in fact if we had less responsibilities at home (AKA returning to work) we would have asked to say another night!

Date of stay: October 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 September 2016

I can't find anything to complain about with this hotel & seen none of what others complained about. We checked in on Sept 13th a little after 7pm. The lady at the desk had my reservation ready & was super nice. We pulled over to our room. The room had the clean smell when we opened it, it was clean, our beds was perfect for me. We enjoyed the deep tub in our bathroom for a nice soak after our long day on the beach or casinos. The TV was a flat screen & they had satellite so had over several hundred channels to watch. We stayed until Saturday & never had any issues at all, it was very quite & the area was a nice location. Is this place fancy or for the particular, absolutely not. If you like a decent, clean room & on a budget & like a cheap price, then you will be completely satisfied. The only complaint is there was no coffee pot in the room for late evening coffee, but it is available each morning along with some muffins & Mcdonald's is next door & Burger King & Arby's across the street so that complaint was easily rectified. The hotel is very convenient for all the attractions & stops including Atlantic City, Gardner's Basin, Brigantine Beach, Historic Smithville, etc. We enjoyed sitting out in the beautiful Gazebo in front each evening when we returned. The pool had closed for the season but it was also nice. We will be staying here again on our next trip to the Jersey Shore. Can't wait

Date of stay: September 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 28 August 2016

nothing good to say about this place. i booked online, was told i could check in early since id be arriving early. i traveled 3 states away. the arab lady at the check in desk was pissed because she was woke up at 6am to assist me. during this time she told me to just cancel my reservation. i explained no im not i already had paid with my card. the breakfast, wasnt even a CONTINENTAL BREAKFAST, one muffin with warm coffee... it wasnt even hot. warm at best. the thing that really got to me was when i left my room to go to atlantic city... i arrived back to my room with my stuff all over and gone through. NEVER AGAIN will i ever stay at a empire inn & suites. I'd sleep in my vehicle rather then spending a penny on this place.

Room tip: dont get a room here and you'll save yourself the hassle
Date of stay: August 2016