All reviewschobe rivergame driveson stiltslarge double bedboat cruisemosquito nettingthree nightssharonbushbuckcampsiteguineafowllodgetripsbotswanaguidemealsanimals
Reviewed 16 October 2010

the bungalows are situated in a very nice garden, where banded mongoose, bushboks etc, were browsing. A good restaurant, with riverview(Chobe). very friendly people. Good gamedrives (the gamedrives organized by the Garden Lodge were slightly better). One inconvenience: Our bungalow was sitated at the perimeter, it took 15 minutes before we got hot water.
The vic Falls are nearby.
Ask at the reception for a guided tour.
regards. schliek

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 September 2010

The lodge located between Kasane and the Zimbabwe border sits in a nice large park like area on the banks of the Chobe River. The rooms are what they call chalets - buildings on stilts. They are equipped with toilet, shower and a fan - no airconditioning. The bed got a large moskito net. We had just booked the B&B arrangement. Upon arrival we were informed for what all things we have to pay extra - very lengthy and repeatedly. We booked B&B intentionally and we know what it means! After checkin I wanted to use one of the luggage carts outside the front office building to take our luggage to the rooms - it was taken away from me by the staff so I had to carry the luggage all the way (I have to admit I did not ask whether I could use it). When I enquired about the 15:15 afternoon boat cruise at about 14:45 I was told it has left already. When asking where there was an ITM in Kasane I was simply told "yes" - no further information given also when asking again. We went elsewhere for dinner - coming back we were asked twice when we will go to the restaurant for dinner!
In the morning breakfast starts at 7:30 - that means they will start arranging breakfast at 7:30. Going on a Vic Falls daytrip this meant by the time we had to leave the restaurant (1/2 hour earlier than indicated due to the unriliability of the time info given) all we could have was bread, butter and cheese as well as fruit and cerelas. When asking at the front desk where to wait for the departure at the trip we were told to wait at the parking lot. Which we did sitting on the railing. Other people were sold a private guided tour to the Vic Falls and were booked on the regular shuttle transfer on which we went too (which is what we wanted). The pool was dirty and cold.
I had they impression that they want to sell their "all inclusive" package - if you don´t you are not welcome, so at least they want to sell their meals. Management is indifferent about the issues and did not reply when I complained. To sum it up: no service, not organized, no communication and indifferent - what a pitty at this nice location! they will not see me again!

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
4  Thank udo_h
Reviewed 23 August 2010

The Kubu Lodge was wonderful. This was not our first safari experience and for the money it was an excellent value. From the time we arrived we felt welcome. My husband and I were traveling with my brother and to save money we had booked a triple room. Sharon, the manager, offered us an extra chalet at no extra charge. How thoughtful! We chose the all inclusive (room, 3 meals, laundry, and 2 activities per day) which was a good price compared to the other lodges around Kasane. We paid around 150 USD PPN compared to other lodges that were 400 USD ppn.
The food was excellent. Breakfast was great with an assortment of fruits, yogurt, cereals, cheeses, and breads along with a hot choice (eggs, bacon, sausage, beans, toast). Lunch was excellent, with a choice of fresh salads......also there was a hot option but we never selected because the salads were great and filling. Dinner was very elegant. It was a fixed menu but there were 2 options for the starters, 3 entree options (included a vegetarian options), and 2 dessert options. We brought our own wines (22 BWP/ 3 UDS cork fee which was fine as the wines avaliable were expensive. Our last night there we had dinner at the boma. It was gorgeous, we ate our dinner by fire light.
The staff was always very friendly and accomadating.
The Kubu Lodge is right on the river and the surrondings are gorgeous. It is very relaxing to sit by the pool and soak up the sun.
The chalets were very comfortable and cozy. Each chalet has its own bathroom that had a nice hot shower. They also have a large deck with umbrella and seating so you can relax outside. All the beds have mosquito nets. We were there during the dry/winter seaon so it was not too warm. During the summer I could see it getting hot because there is no aircon.
For our activities we did 2 game drives and 2 boat rides. The activities are through another company. If you like your guide you can request him/her for your other trips if they are avaliable. We had Moses...he was excellent. He understood that we didn't want to see impala or other animals that we had seen a million times.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank abagirl
Reviewed 15 August 2010

We stayed 3 nights at The Kubu Lodge in Kasane while we visited Chobe Park and Victoria Falls. Only one thing I can make any complaint about and that's the cost. It is slightly high at $100 per person per night, and €20 for dinner. Very convenient to Chobe and visiting Victoria Falls, but for dinner it's tough to eat anywhere else due to the fact you are outside of town and it's advised you shouldn't drive after sunset. But everything else is well above average. I would probably try another place if I visited the area again (like the Waterlily, which is where I originally wanted to stay but there was no availability). That said, I wouldn't be hesitant to stay again at Kubu Lodge.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 June 2010

After reading the negative reviews, felt I had to even out the response. We stayed here last year, and loved the peacefulness, the high quality of the food which the chef uses as much local produce as possible. We especially liked that there were only about 12 bungalows. So no crowds, and were able to spend time just relaxing.

The only minor downside was the office staff who seemed a bit confused and/or reticent to assist which meant that the manager had to come out and deal with stuff. The bar staff, restaurant and porters, etc were all lovely; and more than willing to assist.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple