All reviews water park lake cafe deck bar indoor waterpark horseback riding lake darling outdoor activities ice skating recommend this resort sunday buffet all ages great resort room was spacious large group the past years extended family cottage
Reviewed 13 August 2018

We stayed 2 nights in a one bedroom suite for a family reunion. We have previously stayed in a townhome off season and it was great. The lodge does not appear to have been remodeled in MANY decades and is lacking. We were on the second floor with a nice balcony and good size - plenty of room. However, the laminate flooring in the dining area had some warping that was like stepping on bubbles in places. The carpet in the living room area was brown all-purpose that had snags and was fraying where it met the laminate. The shower had mold in the grout and on the shower curtain. The shower curtain rod was a pressure rod which broke during out stay (they did fix it quickly but just put the old moldy curtain back on a new rod) and there is no clothes line to hang-up wet swim clothes. The linens were not impressive - a duvet cover with no duvet in it and a sheet was all that was on the master bed. The "kitchenette" is a mini fridge, a small microwave and a sink with random dashes (one fork, one bowl and lots of glasses and spoons). The door to the room wouldn't close easily so when the maid cleaned it, she/he actually left it unlocked (nothing was stolen). The beach is great for little kids but no dock or float and no rope around the swimming area although it is a very gradual drop-off. We paid $10 to rent a paddle boat and discovered that one paddle didn't work half the time which made it challenging. When we got back, I complained to staff who said they would look at it but then saw another family trying to use it so clearly they hadn't done anything. Water park is small, best for 3-10 yr olds but our groups of kids up to 18 had fun for an evening in it. They are remodeling the indoor pool and hot tub, so it was closed. I hope this is a sign they will remodel the rest of the lodge!

Room Tip: get a townhouse if you can afford it.
  • Stayed: August 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank Sonja S
arrowwoodgm, General Manager at Arrowwood Resort & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded 23 August 2018

Thank you for returning to Arrowwood and for your helpful comments. I'm sorry you were disappointed with your suite on this visit. We will be addressing the maintenance issues you pointed out with your room. Thank you for letting us know about the paddle boat. They do get a lot of use and this was fixed prior to us renting to another guest. We are remodeling the indoor pool and hot tub area. We chose to do this in the summer while our guests still had access to the outdoor pool and the Big Splash Indoor Waterpark was still open every day for our guests to enjoy. We are excited about the indoor pool area renovations and it's turned out beautiful!
Thank you again for your comments. We hope you return to Arrowwood Resort again soon so you can enjoy the level of service and accommodations you would expect and deserve from Arrowwood Resort!

Reviewed 8 August 2018

We decided to go out for supper, last minute, on a Saturday evening. We were able to get a window seat and enjoyed the view of the lake. The spicy pasta with shrimp was delicious as was the broiled walleye!

Stayed: August 2018, travelled as a couple

Thank you for choosing the Lake Cafe at Arrowwood Resort for your last minute dinner location. We are so happy you enjoyed the wonderful broiled walleye and spicy shrimp pasta! We look forward to your next visit with us!

Reviewed 7 August 2018 via mobile

Everyday one of the pools or the hot tub was closed down, definitely needs updating facility has definitely declined since our last visit 8 years ago, advertise kids club but it is an old shack with dried up glue and markers and no employees, staff not always friendly or helpful - definitely priced too high for this facility

Stayed: August 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank Kelly B

I"m sorry you were disappointed with your stay with us. Unfortunately we can't always help when a pool is closed down due to an "accident" or maintenance issue. Our guests's safety is our priority so when there's a report of a mishap in one of our pools, we do close it down to ensure that the pool is cleaned, treated and returned to safe levels prior to re-opening. I can certainly understand how this could negatively impact your stay however. I would also like to apologize for your experience with the kids camp. Our guests usually love their time there. I've shared your comments with our Director of Recreation and she will be going through our craft supplies and replacing anything that isn't right. Please contact me if there is anything further we can do to make it right with you!

Reviewed 3 August 2018

There are multiple different things to do at this resort.

Summary of the lake:
It's located on an awesome lake, Lake Darling. Which is connected to other lakes including Lake Carlos which is one of the largest lakes in the Alexandria lakes chain. We rented a pontoon for $75/hour from the onsite Marina. We rented it for just 2 hours and fished a little bit and caught 2 bass and a northern. The water is stunningly clear. They have a Marina that you can rent paddleboards, kayaks, canoes, fishing boats, pontoons (24 passenger or 12 passenger) or water ski/tubing boats.

Restaurant:
The onsite restaurant which is on the main level we didn't visit. But we did eat barside one night and got pizza another. I thought the food for being poolside was very good. The waitresses seemed to be the best workers at the resort. They were attentive, cordial, and nice. We ate at the indoor waterpark one evening as well. It actually was pretty good as well. They have $8 mugs which you can refill for free for the length of your stay.

The rooms:
Our rooms were like the ones pictured except we didn't face the lake. They were a little larger than a standard hotel room. We had the room with a sofa couch and 2 queens. The room was adequate with a small fridge and microwave. We actually brought some food with a crockpot and that saved money and worked great. The rooms were ok, but not the specific reason you'd stay here. Although they have cottages and townhomes as well that I didn't see.

Pools:
They have an indoor and outdoor pool, indoor hottub, and a waterpark. My wife says that the outdoor pool is her favorite that she's ever been in. My 6 year old also thought that and we travel a lot. The main reason was because of the temperature. I would bet the temperature was in the upper 80's and felt so nice. The indoor pool and hot tub were nothing special. Actually the hot tub sounded possessed when you turned the jets on.

The indoor waterpark:
It's a great middle sized water park that we really enjoyed as a family (kids 8, 6, and 4). The 3 larger waterslides my 6 and 8 year old enjoyed. You can go down one with tubes and the other are enclosed dark slides, but fun. You need to be 42" to go on the slides. They also have 3 other features. A lazy river which is I'd say also middle of the road in size and it was nice. The hot tub's jets didn't work, but I didn't go in that hot tub. They also have a little 0 depth entry area for kids with a bucket that tips over and 2 smaller slides that my 4 and 6 year old enjoyed. The last water feature was a basketball hoop area connected to a water obstacle that you can climb over if you're not too tall.

Review of the staff:
Lifeguards- I've taught lifeguarding for 18 years for the American Red Cross so I might be a bit more picky. We went mid week and Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday the lifeguards seemed bored. (Wednesday and Thursday they were better) My wife said one was sleeping when she got to the top of the water slide. Other times they were reading books to keep themselves occupied until a patron came up. They were not very personable, but I tried to be extra polite and talked to them. I never told them or implied I was an instructor. When it was extra slow the lifeguards often would be talking to each other. They seemed to be watching the water, but they seemed to be socializing often. All of the water was not always watched and frequently they were doing other distracting things like measuring kids or picking up tubes. Which, management probably tells them to do, but we teach absolutely should not interfere with patron surveillance. This dramatically increases the risk of drownings. Sun-Tues was the worst for how guards were, but Wed and Thurs they were fine. I wish they would work on being more personable. I never met the supervisors or managers so can't speak as to how they were.
Rest of the hotel staff:
They were ok. the one that cleaned our room in 337 was very friendly. A couple girls from Thailand were nice and quick. Another lady that cleaned was also nice. As a general observation from interactions with everyone the top people at the resort that set up training for the staff need to have one on communication with guests. They should smile more and be happy. Like the lady when we were leaving that has a raspy voice that took our luggage cart back for us. She was very friendly. She could probably teach the class.

I didn't go on the many trails around, horseback riding, mini golfing, volleyball, regular golf course, or basketball courts.

Lastly I think it's a good-great resort that just has some small things to work on to make it great, but I would encourage people to go. It's a fun place for all!

Stayed: August 2018

Thank you for the great feedback and information for our future guests! It's obvious that you enjoyed many of the great recreation amenities we have to offer as well as sampled some of the dining options while you were here. I really appreciate the feedback regarding the waterpark lifeguards. I can assure you, we've used your comments and have retrained our staff based on your observations to ensure that the safety of our patrons is our highest concern. I"m glad you mentioned that they were always watching the water!
We appreciate your great recommendations and look forward to seeing you and your family again soon!

Reviewed 31 July 2018

We were at Arrowwood last weekend for a family reunion. It is a very accommodating resort in that everything you need is on site. The waterpark was a hit, but a bit cold, and the lifeguards unfriendly. So many other things to do as well such as boat, kayak, paddleboat rentals, putting greens, campfire, playground, sand vball, tennis, and swimming. The food at the Deck Bar is always hot and the staff friendly. There were a few mixups with schedules etc..., but the staff was quick to remedy that. Rooms are very spacious, but one was leaking from the ceiling. They are also pricey during the peak season. Overall, though, a great place to stay. We've been reunion-ing there since 2001, and have always come away with a great experience.

Room Tip: lake side with balcony
  • Stayed: July 2018, travelled with family
arrowwoodgm, General Manager at Arrowwood Resort & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded 2 August 2018

Thank you for the great review! We really appreciate when our guests give us the feedback of what went well and where we can improve! We are so happy and proud that you come back often for your family reunion. We look forward to seeing you again!