“Basic Americana with all the smells”

Red Roof Inn Ann Arbor - U of Michigan South
Ranked #28 of 35 Hotels in Ann Arbor
Reviewed 1 April 2012

Stayed here for 4 nights in September, as I came for the Notre Dame football game. Got by without a car, but not a good idea, as this is mall and office park world near Briarwood Mall. Ann Arbor bus service is not that great. This is the south Red Roof in Ann Arbor and is basic. I thought the "whirlpool" room would be an upgrade, but this is only a token in a basic roadside motel. Not particularly quiet, my room came with this old-motelly smell. Breakfast is basic and front desk is very helpful.

Room Tip: I had a ground-floor room in the middle of the complex... Upper floors may have been better.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank Tirebiter8
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 30 March 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed here two nights while visiting a graduate program at U of M. Great location and easy to get to. For the price, it was great- room was mostly clean, just found a few stray hairs- only found them as we were looking to make sure there weren't dog hairs left! He was nervous about staying in a hotel that allows pets, as unless the room is cleaned VERY well, he will still have an asthma attack if there is any pet dander. But we didn't have a problem. Staff was efficient and helpful, they had an iron to loan, thank goodness! The breakfast is just cereal, english muffins, and pastries- don't expect fruit or yogurt. Our room was right above the office- no complaints about noise, but the stairs have awkwardly tall steps and you had to go down a shady dark hallway to get to the room- people with mobility issues should probably ask for the ground floor. Overall, a great deal for $50 a night (I searched for 'Red Roof Inn coupon' and saved some dough)!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank smajewski87
Reviewed 14 March 2012

I booked a last minute trip to Ann Arbor and didn't want to spend Ann Arbor prices, so here we go,,,,

At $50/night for a weekend rate, this was a good value for its purpose; a place to crash after a late hockey basketball game and postgame celebration. Check in/check out was easy as pie and the continental breakfast was stocked with basic fair of cereal, concentrate juice, some bananas, and the usual selection of bad carbs/sugar. We had a full breakfast elsewhere, but the hot coffee (not bad for hotel joe) and a bagel was good to start the day. Location is ideal as it is near 94, near Briarwood, and a quick drive to campus.

The room itself was very clean and the sink area had been recently updated. That's about the best you can ask for at a budget hotel. TV was a newer model Samsung 32" LCD, but the cable system was in analog so no HD. So much for the upgrade... The mattress was firm and good for one night's sleep, but I couldn't vouch for more than that. The other furniture in the room looked like it had been there since the 70s-80s.

If you can handle stairs (no elevator) and happen to be a light sleeper, I would recommend asking for a second floor room. The exterior doors/walls seem very poorly insulated for sound, so you can hear any conversation or starting car from the parking lot during the night. I found this out the hard way when a woman told her sob bar night story to her friend on the phone (and to the rest of the first level) at 4am. I heard every word before getting up and turning on the wall heater to drown her out. Surprising, the walls between rooms seem pretty well insulated as I did not hear much from the neighbors.

If you are looking for basic, no frills lodging in Ann Arbor, the Red Roof is a viable option. Ann Arbor has plenty of high prices options for those looking to splurge on elegance or a romantic weekend, but the Red Roof works for a night.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 7 December 2011

Our stay at the Red Roof Inn fulfilled our expectations in every way. The room was clean. The location was great for our purposes (we went to a football game and since we walked, we didn't have to worry about parking). The ladies at the front desk were very helpful and nice.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 November 2011

The young woman at the front desk was very friendly, I made my reservation on-line months ago. She immediately knew my reservation and got me in a room right away. She recommended a few delivery restauraunts for the hotel. Dinner was great. I had pizza, wings, fried chicken, even soda delivered. The room was recently remodeled. All plumbing was new. I will stay there again. The woman at the front desk deserves a promotion.

Room Tip: I stayed at a ground floor room. (I thought it would be easier for pizza delivery person-but I'm...
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends