“OK, but could be much better”

Wyndham Garden Ann Arbor
Ranked #28 of 34 Hotels in Ann Arbor
Austin TX
“OK, but could be much better”
Reviewed 8 August 2012

Our first impression wasn't great, since very loud music was playing just outside the front door. We walked in and were overwhelmed by the smell of chlorine. Turns out the huge lobby has a large swimming pool, so it reeks of chlorine. Mu husband cut himself on a sharp screw on a door trying to maneuver the luggage cart through the back door. We were in room 404, which was OK but had an interior window looking into part of the lobby. We could see large skylights (at our eye level) which were full of spider webs and spider egg sacks. The good thing about this place is that it's close to Zingerman's Roadhouse, where we enjoyed a great breakfast the next day.

Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank BabsinTX
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
Warsaw, Indiana
Reviewed 2 August 2012

I have always thought that a Clarion was a reliable mid-range hotel, so I was pleased to book a room during the Ann Arbor Art Fair. The room was very worn and colorless. When I went to check out the bathroom, I noticed that whoever cleaned the room missed the hair in the bathtub. It was late, so we went to bed on one of the hardest mattresses I have ever tried to sleep on. In the morning, we found out that the shower was broken and the only temperature was HOT! I had a couple of bugs crawling around the floor while I did my hair and noticed quite a bit of dust and cobwebs on the bottom of the ironing board. We didn't eat the breakfast because my friend was pretty sure whoever cleans the rooms probably makes breakfast also. I do not think I will ever trust a Clarion again

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these Ann Arbor hotels

Reviewed 28 July 2012

We stayed here as guests for a wedding recently and it was HORRIBLE! We checked in and went to our room and the A/C was not working AT ALL. Called the front desk to report it THREE times, each time getting a different person saying they would send someone up. We had to leave for the rehearsal and stopped by the front desk on the way out and they acted as though they had never heard of our request!! My husband explined that we would be back late and did NOT want to have to change rooms late at night. When we returned the A/C was fixed.
Room was clean and comfortable (after the A/C incident), breakfast room looked like some vegas lounge with neon lighting and large cocktail glasses to hold creamer...very strange. But the coffee was satisfactory.
Then we found out that there were gift bags left at the front desk for guests and NONE of the guests there ever saw them. Staff acted as though they had no idea what we were talking about, saw different people, they half-heartedly checked the paper schedule hanging behind them and explained that "weeelll, I was workin', but I didn't see no bags back here. Must 'a been that other girl workin'." Thanks for the consideration, lady.
I spoke with other guests (family of the couple) and they seemed to receive the same treatment and lack of consideration. That's just sad.
I would NEVER stay here again, just because of the experience we had here this time. I'm sorry for my friend that she chose this hotel, and I hope that her family was able to let them know about it as well.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank JJfamilyof3
Kalamazoo
Reviewed 5 July 2012

Musty, dirty, and unkept. The manager seems way over his head. He is ALWAYS there, but just can't keep up. Cockroach in the bathroom was a nice touch also... Ewwww. Potential to be a very nice hotel.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank MAZALFLL
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed 2 July 2012

The inside is ok, but the outside is awful. You are greeted by a sign that states "great corporate rat" --- LOL. That's right, the sign looks like it's the original from 1970 - it's old and falling apart and the letter "e" and "s" have fallen off. So instead of "rates" it says "rat". You would think that management would be embarassed by this, but apparently not. This 1970's built dump looks like a time warp back to 1970. The staff seems ok, but overall, I would not recommend this place for couples.

They had a party the night prior and when we came down for breakfast there was trash all over the place. Looks like some drunks ordered pizza the night before and left empty plastic cups and empty pizza boxes all over the place. You would think that someone would pick up after these inconsiderate partiers, but it was like the scene in a movie after a wild party the next morning. Not very appetizing for breakfast. Again, apparently management is either blind or doesn't care. The breakfast was fair - the sliced fruit display of honeydew melon, pineapple, and cantaloupe looked gross as the fruit was floating in either water or juice in this huge, clear plastic bowl - it looked disgusting. The milk dispenser and orange juice dispensers need to be improved too. This place is definitely a case of you get what you pay for. As a kid, I vaguely remember that Clarions usually sucked, and this confirmed it for me as an adult. No more Clarions in my future!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple