See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 1 July 2011

There isn't a rating worse than "Terrible" if there was I would give Clarion Hotel a rating of "Nightmare" or "Gross" or "Sickening". I have stayed at Clarion's before but none have been this bad. If you are reading this review just book another hotel farther out or more expensive you will never know how bad it can get. If you are curious about the bizarre, the macabre, If you like freak shows at the carnivals, if you slow down to look at road kill on the highway then this is the hotel for you.

I am usually forgiving and I have to admit I have stayed at this hotel a few times over the last several months. At first I just shrugged off the problems but the last few times it was so disgusting I had to take pictures so that I could warn others.

I travel to Ann Arbor because my Grandmother is getting treatment at the University of Michigan. Thank God she is responding to treatment and she is getting better but it has been an emotional rollercoaster and the problems at the hotel were secondary to focusing on my family but sometimes enough is enough. I choose Clarion because of the lower prices but I regret every penny I have spent.

Let me get right to it. One time I stayed on a weekend and there was some group that dealt with Greyhounds and I love dogs but there were so many of them it was kind of odd. As I said I love dogs and Greyhounds are beautiful dogs but one morning as I went to get in my car there was an enormous pile of dog feces right next to my car on the driver’s side and I didn't notice it until I stepped in it. As I looked around apparently were I parked the owners must have been using the area to walk their dogs because there was dog poo everywhere. I took a picture, just in case so that people would believe me.

During another stay, I checked in and whet to my room but I noticed the room wasn't cleaned. I told the front desk lady and she said they would have housekeeping fix it right away. I went out and returned later on and it looked better. I went to bed and got under the covers and noticed something wet at the bottom of the bed under the sheets. I pulled back the sheets and saw a used condom with pubic hairs stuck to it. I got up and ran to the bathroom to throw up and take a shower. Well as I was taking the shower the drain backup and there was some soapy mess that came out of the drain. Oh God !!! I got dressed and stormed down to the front desk and got in line with everyone else complaining about something and demanded another room. The front desk lady apologized and gave me another room. I got to the other room but the Air conditioner didn't work and it was a hot and humid night. I called down to the front desk and complained and some guy named Igor gave me a fan. I turned the fan on and it would screech every once in a while like a cat on a hot tin roof but I was tired and the fan did help. I did take a picture of the used condom in case no one would believe me....

So, besides the horrible breakfast, poop in the parking lot, condoms in the bed, backed up shower drains, it was the worst experiences I have ever had in my life, except in Mexico when I was a kid... I gave this place a few chances and I regret doing it. i would have been better off sleeping in my car in the park and washing up in a drainage ditch... beware of the Clarion Hotel and Conference Center. This hotel would be better suited to only open up in October during Halloween and be advertised as a horror house.

Good Luck and Safe Travels

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank 007Jackson007
Reviewed 29 June 2011

Ivon was a great host and Jazz was very helpful and friendly i will recommend this hotel to my friends

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 June 2011

This hotel should not even get a terrible rating. There isn't a rating low enough in my opinion. We used this hotel because of the Clarion name and we were so disappointed. First, we had to pay a rediculous amount of money for one of the weekend nights because of a sporting event an hour away. We were there for check in but the hotel was not ready for us. When we finally reached our room, it was a tiny room on the back of the hotel and the AC unit did not work. We couldn't get moved to another room until the maintenance guy called the desk to state he was not licensed to fix the HVAC unit. The manager was very nice and came to help us haul our luggage and coolers to the new room, also on the back side of the building but, the AC worked. It was also a small room but I was tired and ready to unpack. Oh wait, there is no refrigerator or microwave in this "suite". I had lots of things needing cooling and called for help again. Soon, the manager came back with maintenance and they hauled an old frig that looked like it had been kicked in a few times and a microwave from the 70's in from a gutted room next door. They had to use a three prong surge protector strip to plug in the microwave and frig but, later we had to unplug the microwave so the frig would work. We also noticed that the lamp was plugged into a receptical coming out of the floor with live wires hanging out. Holy crap and what is this? Wet floor from the HVAC unit and it's headed to the live wires?! Again, no help from the front desk. We were so tired at this point, I wanted a glass/bottle of wine and to be put out of my misery. I couldn't leave because there were no rooms in town and their policy would have made me pay for this stink hole anyway. This is probably enough said for you but lets not forget the towel bar falling off the wall in the bathroom and the floor that was so dirty that when I got out of the shower and walked across the room, my feet were black on the bottom. Thanks Clarion. Even if you were giving away free rooms, I would never use one of your hotels again.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank Coolcat716
Reviewed 21 June 2011

My husband and I stayed at this hotel because of the chain name, the proximity to the Nascar race we were attending as well as proximity to shopping. The photos online do not tell the entire story however.

Overall, our room was clean and the shower had great water pressure - the toilet worked fine - all important things. The staff were very friendly and very helpful and the various areas of the hotel were very clean and tidy. The breakfast buffet was wonderful. Anything you could possibly want to eat and then some...so very good value for your money. I would stay again easily, as we had very good rates on our rooms..however, there are a few things (only one major) that should change in order for me to come back again.

First, the rooms are somewhat on the old side...clean and not at all smelly, but the area where the rooms are on the outer parts of the hotel are just old. It just needs a slight makeover.

Second, we had no safe in our room when we arrived. We came from Canada and it's very important to have a safe that we can lock our passports in so we don't have to take them to the Nascar race. That said, however, Brian at the front desk had a safe delivered to us very quickly - on a lighter note though, that safe is not bolted to the floor as a fixture in the room - I guess if someone REALLY REALLY wanted to rob you, they could just steal the entire safe and figure out how to open it later....

Third, there was an air vent on the top of our door that would not close, and was a direct conduit of sound from inside our room to outside our room - I'm not quite sure of the purpose of this vent but it doesn't make for a very sound proof room for anyone in the hallway or for us in our room.

Finally, the fourth issue and the only thing I would SERIOUSLY change, is this...we were in the first room closest to an exit door. This door had a key card lock on it that did not work - anyone could just walk in and out - at any time, day or night...the door too, banged when it closed so believe me, every time people came in and out at all hours (smokers too, including myself using this doorway), the door would bang and when you're room is RIGHT THERE with a dumb air vent that may as well be an open window - it doesn't make for a good sleep.

I would say the only really important change is the security feature of the key card locks and just ensuring that if you advertise a safe, you get one....but otherwise, we got a good rate on our room, it was close to a great restaurant and an easy drive to BriarwoodCircle Mall - so all in all - not a bad stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a room AWAY from an exit door
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 June 2011

Great staff, very helpful with all of our questions. This property is in a great location and very accessible to major highways. Great value and nice accommodations overall. Nice rooms with jacuzzis. Big enough for 2 people.

Room Tip: Business tower
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple