“A Posh Brunch”

Bertin Bistro and Restaurant
Ranked #1,280 of 10,157 Restaurants in Dubai
Cuisines: French, German, Italian
Reviewed 13 February 2016 via mobile

It is very rare in Dubai that the temperature drops to 18 degree Celsius. So when the weather was cloudy and chilly on a Saturday afternoon, we decided to try out the most happening brunch in Dubai at Bertin Bistro, which is gaining popularity in the blogosphere.

Bertin Bistro and Restaurant is a one of a kind two-storey 1920s themed restaurant where the ground level serves cuisine from the region of Alsace, which is on the border of Germany and France and bakery items, quiche, tartines and breakfast. Whereas upstairs the menu offers dishes from Spain and Morocco, all under one roof.

We opted to sit outside, taking full advantage of the chilly weather. For drinks we ordered Mango Colada which was a refreshing combination of mango, pineapple and coconut. It was sweet and tangy at the same time. On the other hand Mr A chose a rather healthier option and ordered Mixed Berry smoothie.

We started our meal with Seafood Feuillete which is basically shrimps, salmon, mussels and mushrooms mixed in white sauce & stuffed in puff pastry with a fresh buttery flavor which tastes so divine that your taste buds can’t get enough of it. Since I’m a huge fan of seafood I loved it because it was cooked to perfection and the seafood was very fresh.

As starter we ordered Traditional Bertin’s Flammekueche which was thin crispy flat bread spread with Cream cheese, onions and smoked Bacon. It was my first time trying it and I loved it. Its similar to the arabic Manaeesh but crispier.

Then we tried the shrimp tacos. The problem with ordering any shrimps dish at a restaurant is that if overcooked, shrimps become rubbery and tasteless. But judging by the high standard of Bertin’s I took my chances and it paid off. My shrimp tacos were a savory delight. Two fresh hard tacos filled with lentils, guacamole, shrimps and topped with cheese had a unique french twist to them. They weren’t as spicy as their Mexican counterpart but equally succulent. They were served with sour cream and salsa.

As a main we ordered a Portobello Mushroom Sliders which to my surprise comes in a Portobello bun! I wasn’t expecting the bun to be replaced by a giant mushroom. The burger was well done over the charcoal with cheese, caramelized onion, & BBQ Sauce. Served with a cucumber salad and Potato wedges. All I can say is it was very very tasty!

For desserts we ordered Oreo triple Decker. It had an Oreo biscuit base layered with chocolate mousse and vanilla mousse. Served with vanilla ice cream. It was rich and creamy and tasted heavenly. Loved the presentation.

We even ordered fondue chocolate which i think was a mistake! Its not for one person as I thought it would be. It was the mother of all desserts. Melted chocolate dip which was served with strawberries, kiwis, bananas, cake bites. They even served ice cream and whipped cream with it. If you’re planning to go there for Valentines day then this dessert is your magical love potion. We loved sharing this dessert in the romantic breezy weather. I would call it sinful Fondue.

On the whole our experience at Bertin Bistro and Restaurant was an unforgettable one. The ambiance, food, presentation, service and the spacious interiors were all excellent. They even offer sheesha on the first floor.

If that’s not enough to excite you then there is a small flea market set up every Saturday outside Bertin with stalls selling everything from jewelry to kaftans and you name it. There’s even a lively juggler who entertains the kids and the diners at the restaurant. A perfect place to visit with the family.

1  Thank Taqato

Reviewed 13 February 2016

Introduced to this lovely, little place by my daughter and son-in-law this morning. Food was amazing. I had the goats cheese and sundries tomato flammkuchen which was absolutely delicious and a frozen mint martini. Yum yum. Will definitely be going back there! They had a magician giving out balloon shaped hearts for Valentine's Day tomorrow.

1  Thank SoniandPaddy
Reviewed 29 January 2016 via mobile

Searched for a new breakie place using the entertainer app, Bertins was the choice & we were super impressed.
Restaurant decor is lovely, smell of fresh bread & the coffee was proper.

Smoked salmon Benedict was perfect & finally someone using good quality fresh Scottish smoked salmon; not the bright orange chile or Norway frozen rubbish!
The bread basket was fresh, hot & free!!!

The Bertins Benedict with the cheese soufflé was too heavy & not recommended, but so many other great options.

One of the best breakfasts we have had in 12 years in Dubai. Only 2nd to Baker & Spices Eggs Shakshuka!
If Bertin can add this to the menu they can win best breakie in Dubai!!!

3  Thank MrFoodieDxb
Reviewed 18 December 2015

Not cheap, but very good food. We had salmon, cous cous, different salads and pretty much everything was tasteful. It was friday but it wasn't overcrowded.

2  Thank Goca D
Reviewed 6 November 2015 via mobile

I was recently introduced to this little gem of a place by friends who enjoy a good shisha after work, and discovered that they did breakfasts as well.

As someone who enjoys a spot of peace and quiet on the weekends, I've been looking for a place that serves a good breakfast and coffee. Since the quality of service and food at my ex-favorite breakfast joint took a plunge last year, I've been on a lookout for another one.

So, enter Bertin. I'd never heard of the place before this, and had joined some friends for dinner (which I'll cover in another review) and was rather impressed with the food - quality and portion.

I hit Bertin this morning (Friday) around 9 am and there were only two tables occupied (this would soon change within the hour) and found myself a seat overlooking the main road where I'd parked my little roadster. Service, unlike in the evening, was good.

I had the continental breakfast (AED59) and a Caffè Latte (AED18), which was served with a small basket of bread with a small pot of butter (which had the perfect consistently, not the out-of-the-fridge frozen hardness). The bread slices were excellent, clearly freshly baked, given how fluffy and fragrant they were.

The serving size of the continental breakfast did not disappoint. Two strips of beef bacon, a small pot of baked beans, two sizeable veal sausages, a sliced portobello mushroom, sautéed to perfection, two eggs, a slice of fresh bread, and a leaf of lettuce and sautéed tomato on the side. The sausages were succulent and not overdone, the mushrooms were divine, and the beef bacon was crunchy without being fried to a crisp. I felt the eggs were a little overdone (sunny side up), but I'll be sure to let them know next time.

The latte was served with a cardamom biscuit on the side, which complemented the latte perfectly. The milk was fresh and creamy, the coffee was rich and smooth and left a lingering, wistful aftertaste that left me wanting more.

The Bertin is a place I'd highly recommend for breakfast, alone or otherwise.

1  Thank Kenneth W
bertinbistro, Manager at Bertin Bistro and Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 12 November 2015

'Left me wanting for more' - Always the feedback we hope for, Kenneth W! :) We love your detailed and thorough review and appreciate you taking the time to pen your experience down. We love reading reviews specific to our breakfasts and this one takes the cake! Your reviews are on-point for future readers out there. We hope we have strongly cemented our place as your favorite breakfast place in town and look forward to seeing you back very soon!

- Team Bertin.