“Wouldn't call it value for money”

Holiday Inn Downtown Dubai
Ranked #296 of 556 Hotels in Dubai
Reviewed 12 August 2011

We visited Dubai on the first weekend of Feb-2011. It is a time when Dubai and the Middle East has good weather and as a result Dubai was extremely busy. We selected from an array of hotels Holiday Inn based on my previous good experience with Holiday Inn. But I must say this one lacked in the kind of service we expected. Murphy's law took complete control.

We had specifically requested for a king sized bed and all I get is 2 separate single beds. Also, there were no other rooms free with a double bed. All we had to make do was with a makeshift double bed.
The hotel "restaurant" on the top floor was mediocre in terms of ambiance. The breakfast was average.

Overall, I would say that it was just not value for money. I could have rather stayed at a simple B&B hotel instead.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank ashishvb
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 29 July 2011

holiday inn downtown dubai seems like an old hotel with no major renovation done for quite some time. i was upgraded to an executive room, though, with gave me internet access. it is also near to the al rigga train station, another plus factor. breakfast was so-so.

Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank FMD88528
Reviewed 13 June 2011

Stayed here on our way back from Australia, the hotel is looking a bit tired and dated, especially the roof top pool area, it is not dirty or anything just a bit dated.
However, the staff really made up for this they were friendly, helpfull and pleasant throughout the stay.
Value for money is second to none, the food was nice, hot and tasty with a buffet option available evening meal for 65 d's (around £8) for as much as you could eat.
Breakfast was plentyfull and hot, individual eggs cooked however you wanted them.

Make sure you only use registered taxi's at the airport, we got into a car, on arrival at the hotel, the driver asked for 120d's for the trip and would I pay him in the car so no one could see, it took around 15 mins and should of cost less than 35d's (we didn't pay !!!!).
The registered taxi's all have coloured roofs, they are not plain coloured cars .....

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank John R
Reviewed 16 April 2011

I moved to this hotel from the Holiday Inn Express Jumeriah Beach, and don't feel I make a good move in terms of both quality and value for money. This hotel needs an makeover in the communal areas. The bar, the reception and the resteraunts are all very old and shabby. My bedroom was very good, but they may have been because it was on the exective floor. The swimming pool on the roof is tiny, and in need of some care; it's not a place to hangout.

My opinion of this hotel was set from the off by the reception, the man checking me in had to refer every single simple question - "is there broadband" (no) ? "is breakfast included" (no) ? to the manager stood next to him, even though the manager was doing nothing he continued to ignore his floundering colleague and carried on playing on his computer. If I was more sure of the cultural rules I'd have probably have lost my temper with their behaviour, as it was a bit my lip and suffered in silence. Of the six of seven members of reception I dealt with over the two days, I would say only two of them know their jobs well enough.

Best thing about this hotel is the night club on the first, not advertised at the front desk - I only found it by accident. It's hosted by a great phillipino band and dance troupe who put on a great event until 3am; playing a whole spectrum of western tunes. Don't know where they got the energy from. There is also an Indian dance club and a Lebanese (?) club on the same floor.

Room Tip: Higher floor should avoid nightclub noise.
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled solo
HIDTManagement, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Downtown Dubai, responded to this reviewResponded 21 May 2011

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at Holiday Inn Downtown on Trip Advisor.

We appreciate your constructive feedback and we are constantly working to improve our services and facilities. Thank you for your positive comment about our Executive room and let me mention that internet is complimentary for all Executive room guests.

We hope to welcome you again to our hotel.

Hotel Management

Reviewed 20 February 2011

As I have never been to Dubai and the trip was pretty last minute, did not make an effort to search around

The hotel is near the airport without doubt of about 10-15 minutes drive away. From the facade of the building it looks old and the lobby was nothing to talk about. However, on arrival the service was good and they ensure that we are checked in early but without giving the room.....just paperwork. The duty staff in charge then invited us for breakfast and told his colleague to treat us as "VIP".....but guess they said this to everyone as we certainly was treated like VIP and we thought we were given complimentary breakfast as being Gold member of Priority Club, one of the privilege is advance check in so I thought the breakfast was complimentary but well we were charge for more than USD 20 for each person for that "can do away without it" breakfast.

However credit has to be given to the room that though the facade of the hotel looks old, the room are comfy and spacious. The furniture looks dated too but overall the room is good.

As the hotel is located far away from most mall, it means having to take taxi to most destinations, as we were in Dubai only for a stopover, I would say we did not really have much of an impression of this hotel.

If given more time, would check out other alternatives for sure.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled with family