New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Ranked #3 of 543 Hotels in Dubai
Dammam, Saudi Arabia
“Perfect wedding anniversary”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2012

we've stayed at One&Only the palm for 3 nights.

we were celebrating our wedding anniversary and thank godness i've chosen the best place. The place is so romantic and we stayed at mansion 9 room 19. everyday we were surprised by a gift, either a lovely box of chocolate, flowers on bed and in the bath tub and they've also given us a cake for our anniversary.

The service was perfect as expected and Jobi our host made our stay even more relaxing. He did all restaurants reservations outside the resort since the food choices were limited in the resort.

That's not a problem because the other One&Only is a boat drive away and they have more variety of food.

What I liked the most about the resort is the secluded place with no night clubs or busy shisha places. This actually kept the resort very quiet and romantic and hopefully it stays the same.

The only thing that I disliked in the resort is the water temperature, The cold water was cold but not that cold if u know what i mean.

5 Thank NasserHS
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (182)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2012

We stayed at the One&Only The Palm in July over our wedding anniversary for six nights. To add some context, we have been travelling to Dubai for both leisure and business for over twelve years and have stayed in some amazing hotels including the Burj Al Arab, Dar Al Masyaf, Park Hyatt to name a few.

We stayed in Dubai in July last year for a week at the Jumeirah Zabeel Saray which was amazing so when looking to go again this year, we started the extensive Tripadvisor review process! We are a couple in our mid thirties with no children and whilst the JZS was fantastic, it does attract families and this time, we wanted to go for a more boutique style experience with minimal children. So I reviewed the OOTP and the reviews were outstanding. Also, the fact that it is a much smaller hotel with c. 90 rooms versus several hundred rooms at the larger hotels also appealed. We have tended to stay in Jumeirah Group hotels recently as their service is exceptional and as we had not ever stayed in a One & Only resort before, we decided to stay here. To be honest, for the price I paid for the OOTP, we could have booked a Junior Suite at the JZS or a beach villa at the DAM but we wanted to give this one a go.

I booked directly with the hotel after emailing them for a quote for a package which was inclusive of transfers, half board (which pretty much most of the hotels should offer over the summer) and a Palm Beach Premier Room. They provided a pretty good rate which also included two spa treatments for both hubby and I as well as complimentary access to the Aquaventure pack at Atlantis (which we didn't use).

So we arrived in Dubai early morning following an overnight flight from London, and proceeded to the One & Only desk at the airport. We were taken to a brand new 7 series BMW and whisked to the hotel. On arrival, we were given the standard cold fruit juices whilst check in procedures were done. It was approx. 8 am at this point and we were told our room would not be available until 2pm which is standard check in time. At this point, my concern over not booking a Jumeirah hotel started to come through as they have always provided early check in. However, we were advised that a hospitality room would be made available to us straight away until our room was ready later.

We were eventually given our room at around mid day and we were in Mansion 9 which is the last mansion directly facing the Dubai Marina skyline and closest to the jetty. The room itself was outstanding and probably the nicest room we have stayed in bar the Burj Al Arab. The bathroom is open plan to the bedroom and the facilities in the room are pretty good inc. Nespresso machine and daily fruit bowl.

My biggest gripe however, relates to the provision of wifi. The hotel provides complimentary wifi HOWEVER it comes with a very limited speed and bandwidth. If you want something much faster, you need to pay 300 Dhms for five days which only covers two devices. Now, when I am paying more than double what most 5 star hotels charge in Dubai, I am expecting free wifi which is high speed and with more than two devices! To me, this was a really cheap touch, as this level of hotel should be providing super fast wifi for free to all guests. Also, as soon as you check out of your room, you can no longer use the service.

The other issue I found was what one of the other reviewers mentioned below regarding the service from the hotel staff. The staff are the loveliest people and so willing to help, but as stated below, they are often clueless and more often, forgetful. Just on the first day alone, I called Guest Services as the Internet was not working. They said they would call back but they did not. Then, our mansion host was meant to meet us at 1.30 to give us a tour of the hotel. We had spa treatments booked for 2pm so we were on a tight timeframe. He had not turned up by 13.45 so I called him, and he was still on his way in to work! Then, we requested an additional luggage stand from the luggage assistant who said he would bring one within 10 minutes but we didn't receive it during the entire stay. These little things, whilst not being fundamental, still annoyed me as I was paying for excellence in service and I just felt that the staff here had not been provided with the training that would show them excellence above just bog standard service. The polish and going the extra mile was not evident. This was stated in my feedback to the hotel.

Overall, though, we did love the hotel. We used the spa on the first day and the salt scrub and massages were sublime. The pool was fine however, the usual towel hoggers that placed towels first thing but who didn't show up to use the sunbeds until mid day were in evidence even at this exclusive resort! We saw this behaviour everyday which did annoy me also, as the pool boys should not tolerate this type of behaviour. A women who tried to take two "occupied" beds was told someone was using them. When she stated that she couldn't see them, she was told they were having breakfast. Three hours later at 1pm, the hoggers turned up and they clearly had not just been for breakfast.

The food at 101 was fantastic, we went there twice. Zest was OK for dinner but they are very stingey with wine portions here so beware. The breakfasts were lovely. If you are expecting items like baked beans, hash browns etc, you won't find them here. Most hot items were ordered from the a la carte menu so scrambled eggs, omelettes etc but the menu had a real healthy vibe to it so don't go expecting a full English fry up.

We tried several restaurants at the Royal Mirage including Rotisserie (so so), Beach Bar & Grill (excellent) and Eau Zone (my favourite). The latter was exceptional and each night, our host arranged a buggy both to the jetty and we were met on the other side at the Royal Mirage jetty by their buggy and taken to the restaurant. The boat service was excellent and highly recommended above using the road transport as you will go over about 100 road humps just to get off the Palm.

We went back to the JZS for Friday brunch and it definitely has the wow factor when you walk into the lobby which we missed however, it felt like being in an airport terminal with so many people and children everywhere. Returning to the OOTP, we felt we had returned to our tranquil environment. The beauty of the OOTP is the privacy and feeling that you are amongst only a handful of people staying at this resort. We often didn't see many people apart from at the pool so if you are looking for quiet retreat rather than the noisy family oriented resorts, this is definitely for you. There were a couple of families at the resort when we were there but the kids were generally well behaved and certainly not unruly.

Overall, we did love this hotel and we would possibly return but only once the service has been ironed out and minor issues such as the internet provision sorted. All we really need is for Jumeirah to open a boutique resort in Dubai and we will be happy!

Room Tip: Book a room in Mansion 9 for the best views and privacy.
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
14 Thank Catface
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2012 via mobile

Excelent service, staff, breakfast, room. recommended.
Stayed for one week and everything was perfect.

Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Marcelo G
Winchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2012

My wife and I have just returned from a fabulous 7 night stay at this wonderful hotel and can't wait to return. This is our 7th visit to Dubai, staying before at the Mina A'Salam, Al Qasr, Dar Al Masyaf, Le Royal Meridien Beach Resort and Spa, but this has to be the best - a definite 10 out of 10.

We arrived on my wifes birthday, having booked a junior beach suite and were upgraded to one with a private pool - what a fantastic treat and a superb way to cool down. However, if we had been allocated an upstairs beach villa looking over a pool villa it may not have been such a happy week!

In the evening we ate at 101 Dining Lounge and Bar where my wife was presented with a birthday cake and card at the end of the meal, and on returning to our room the bed was covered in rose petals and heart shaped towels, thank you for making her birthday a fantastic one.

They seem to have got the mix right at this hotel, not too many rooms and relatively child free (hurrah). If you want to have a totally relaxing time and chill then this is for you.

The resort only has 3 restaurants, 101, Zest and Stay, although Stay was closed whilst we were there, apparantly it closes every year for a period of time. The food was very good and in very stylish conditions, but it becomes a bit limited for choice. However, Chef Bappa came to our rescue and prepared us a couple of wonderful off menu meals, what a charming and talented man. All the staff from housekeeping, beach staff, restaurant, reception and upwards are all totally professional, polite and can't do enough to make your stay the best ever - greeting you every time with your name. Thank you everbody.

There is little more to be said about this hotel as it has already been said on many other trip advisor reviews.

A final note for the manager - Mr Michael R Payne - please don't change anything here it is brilliant!

We look foward to seeing you next year - same room please!

Room Tip: Try to book a Junior beach suite with a pool, you wont regret it.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Robbie1349
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2012

Amazing hotel with so many issues…

Here is my full review. If you can't be bothered to read it all just read the below "bottom line".

Bottom line – The hotel is amazing. Great building. Fantastic layout and all the staff are very helpful and willing. I definitely wouldn’t stay here again however… 1 - The location is a real deal breaker. To get from the hotel to the entrance of the Palm island it takes 20mins on a road covered with 50 speed bumps. Doing this 4 times a day is really unpleasant. Hotel to Dubai mall is 45mins minimum! If like me, you are stopping in Dubai for a few days to break up a long trip don’t stay here! Stay somewhere more central. It’s a lousy commute over so many speed bumps. Really! 2 – if you go between June and September forget about any beach time. I lasted 20mins it was so hot. It sort of defeats the object of staying here if you can’t use the beach. 3 – The hotel staff are so friendly and helpful but all round a bit clueless. So many times I found myself frustrated. See below for more details.

I went on my honeymoon in July 2012 for 3 nights.

The way I do all my surveys is split it into 5 parts... Infrastructure, service, food, facilities and most importantly general vibe.

Infrastructure - 5 / 5. The Best part.
The hotel is fantastic. Great interior design and very comfortable. Absolutely 5 stars! Only complaint is the rooms have an annoying light system that takes about 5mins every night to figure out which buttons turn off which lights. By the last night it got so annoying I just pulled the light power cords out of the walls and it took me less time!

Service. 3 / 5. So close but yet so far.
Very friendly hotel staff, but all round they have absolutely no clue. It’s as if none of them have ever been trained by the head office.
- We arrive at 3am, and check in took almost 20mins despite having paid the deposit and filled in all the forms. When I complained that all I wanted to do was go to bed after a 7 hour flight, the manager insisted on telling me about the pool, buffet, spa etc… very nice, but so aggravating. Also when I told him I had filled in all the forms he gave me, he disappeared for 5mins and came back and said that I hadn’t!
- I booked a car with the concierge from the sister hotel (it saves 20mins to take a 5min ferry to the mainland). The concierge called me 3 times to arrange, confirm and reconfirm the car! Then he called again to give me the driver's phone number. All this for booking a car! When we finally got to the other hotel there was no car! We called the concierge at 8.15pm and he had gone home for the night! Yes that’s right. It’s a One and Only and after 8pm there is no concierge! He then called me the next morning to apologize and woke me up. When I called him back I was told he was busy. 30 mins later I called again and I was told he was on his lunch break!!
- Whenever you call to speak to the front desk or room service it usually took over 10 rings for someone to answer. On the last day there actually was no answer at all although it was 7am.
- Finally on the last day we checked out at 7.30am. We were the only ones at reception. I told the lady that we were in a rush as we were late for our flight, and she proceeded to take over 5mins to correctly bill me for a postage stamp as I wanted to send a postcard. I felt like screaming “I have spent thousands on my room and you are haggling over a postage stamp after I tell you I am running late!!!”. To add more insult to injury she slowly and carefully wrote out a note to her colleague that the postage stamp had been correctly billed to my room! Then the credit card machine didn’t work. Sure enough there was no second credit card machine, so she went inside so photocopy my card… the same card they already made a copy of when I arrived at 3am to check in and also the same card that I used to pay the deposit. This whole ordeal took about 15mins. At which point I was so heated, I snatched my card back said “goodbye” with a smile and walked out happily knowing I will never have to deal with this hotel again.
- I spent 35 mins (20 checking in + 15 checking out) in total waiting to check in and check out when there were no other guests present and I had pre-filled out all the necessary forms and paid a deposit. Simply unacceptable.

Food - 5 / 5.
Only had room service and it was very good for room service. Came quickly.

Facilities - 5 / 5
Again very good. Exactly what you expect from a One and Only. Great gym. Really nice pool. The beach is really well run too. Also everything is brand new and very clean.

General vibe. - 3 / 5
The whole hotel felt like a very new hotel that had just opened and the people running it had absolutely no idea as they were all new to it too. So many times I was frustrated there, but I could see they were trying their best but just had no idea. Also to get anywhere at all it took 40mins minimum. The only reason you stay here is for the beach, but you cant use it, it was so hot… The only reason I would ever stay here again is if I moved to Dubai and I wanted a nice weekend away somewhere, but that would have to be once things start working a little better there and not during the summer months…

• 4 of 5 bubbles