“Unbelievably poor service”

Kempinski Hotel & Residences Palm Jumeirah
Ranked #163 of 561 Hotels in Dubai
Reviewed 1 February 2012

I'm sorry...kempinski pride themselves by the notion that they've been in the hotel business for over 100 years. If you were unfortunate enough to be at this one in the first week of January, you'd think they'd never run a hotel before!

Where to start? Arrived early, room not ready. Not a problem. They suggested breakfast. It was cold. Went to first room. It overlooked a construction site. It hadn't been snagged and there were no electrical sockets. You couldn't even plug the bed side lamps in. We were moved to another room, which had been snagged. It was excellent. Feeling better...

First night...gas is cut off. No hot food! Are they serious? Forced Decamp to Atlantis...amazing. Day two; Pool - service is the worst I have experienced any where in the world ever! (including the carribean
- at least the Bajans are cool
In being slow!) - it took 45 mins to get a glass of sprite (provided you went to remind them after 40 mins). Pool bar wasn't open. Pool restaurant was still being built (despite a reassurance from the hotel directly before I booked that everything was finished). Not particularly relaxing while they cut tiles for the badly needed 2nd restaurant. Shall I go on?

Ah..being woken at 2am as a dozy cleaner decides that it is the best time to use a floor cleaning machine outside our room door!?

The service staff are simply appalling, with the exception of the spa staff who were great. The spa - actually it isnt really a spa! It is some treatment rooms; no jacuzzi, no sauna, no steam...spa is a slightly optimistic description. Gym; rubbish. Two treadmills is hardly sufficient for the size of the complex. Went three times; three times returned having not used equipment, because they were in use.

Lunch - it took one hour for the pool staff to bring the menu! It became a standing joke. By the end of the week, we had spent time purposefully away from the hotel because the service was doing my head in. I even went to a supermarket to buy my own drinks so I didn't have to ask anyone for a drink? Can you believe it? I certainly can't...

I brought it to the attention of management...did they sort it? Did they make it better? No. It actually got worse. The manager actually suggested I went to stay elsewhere, which makes me sound like the guest from hell. I'm not. I have never written a review before. I have never before felt compelled to write to a hotel manager whilst in residence to outline the extensive issues I faced. To suggest I go elsewhere was insulting.

The rooms were great and I suspect once phase two is complete and the staff have been (a) sacked (b) more recruited and (c) trained...this will one day be a fabulous resort.
As of now it isn't...I may try it again in 2-3 years time.

• Stayed: January 2012
4  Thank jlbwillow
KempinskiPalm, General Manager at Kempinski Hotel & Residences Palm Jumeirah, responded to this reviewResponded 12 March 2012

Dear Jasonlb,

We at Kempinski do understand the importance of fulfilling our guests expectations and it concerns me greatly that you have departed our hotel on a negative note.

While thanking you for your time compiling the constructive feedback , do rest assured that I have shared your concern with my team making sure such shortfalls will remain isolated.

We are constantly striving to improve our service and facilities. Ascertaining service excellence is what Kempinski Hotels are renowned for worldwide and failing to do so is not the way we would like to associate ourselves and our services with .

Will look forward to welcome you in the near future.

Reviewed 23 January 2012

Stayed at the hotel for 2 nights to celebrate an occassion, but the stay was totally unpleasant. Looks fabulous from outside but not worth the feel. The staff needed to be reminded several times for things requested. Lacks training. Not worth the stay at all. Despite sending a complaint to the management, there was no action taken.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank Madhan S

Dear Madhan S,

First of all I would like to thank you for your review and your comments & constructive feedback.
I sincerely apologise that your experience with us did not meet your prospects. Taking your review very seriously, I will bring this issue for a discussion with my team and take an action. However, I do hope that we will get a second chance to welcome you back to reach your expectations and restore the value.

Reviewed 13 January 2012

Enjoyed our stay, staff were extremely helpful. The property is beautiful with spacious apartments well equipped, with beds like clouds.will defiantly re vist.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank Aeldin

Dear Aeldin,

Thank you for your so positive comment regarding your stay with us here at Kempinski Palm Jumeirah. I am glad you have enjoyed the hotel including our cloud-like beds.

I will look forward to welcoming you back again.

With my Best Regards,

Reviewed 30 December 2011

It was a very new hotel, opening in September. We stayed in a two-bedroom suite. The room was very spacious but most of the information is in Russian and German. We ordered Room Service which was better than our expectations though the prices were high. The private beach and pool were nice.
The nearby area was still underdevelopment, so nothing was found nearby. It was good that they provided complimentary drive to Atlantis, and so we spent some time there.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank JaysonLO

Dear JaysonLO,

Thank you for sharing your positive feedback. I am very pleased to hear you enjoyed your recent stay with us.

We look forward to welcoming you back to our property in the near future when the neighborhood gets more pleasing than it was when you visited.

Best Regards,

Reviewed 26 December 2011

I stayed at Kempinski Palm Jumeirah for six nights in December 2011 and it was the best six nights of 2011. It was paradise. I cannot fault anything about the hotel. All the staff including concierge, reception, restaurant and bar staff, housekeeping, lifeguards, spa staff, kids club - everyone was exceptional. The service was impeccable.

The hotel location is stunning, felt like paradise. The views from our suite was amazing. Each room had a terrace and there was also a large terrace by the living room. We had views of all the key landmarks in Dubai including Atlantis hotel, Burj Al Arab, Burj Khalifa, Twin Towers, financial district etc.

Dubai is full of amazing hotels but I will always go back to Kempinski solely because of the level of service I received.

If you are looking for ultimate luxury and relaxation in Dubai, I highly recommend you stay at this hotel - you will not be disappointed.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank TKay_11

Dear TKay_11,

Thank you very much for your positive feedback.

I am delighted you enjoyed the hotel and its location. I am specially pleased that my team has lived up to your expectations and made you feel welcome. We aim to provide a very high level of service and I am pleased to learn that we succeeded once more.

I hope to be able to welcome you in the not too distant future back to Kempinski Palm Jumeirah.