“nightclub noise”

Ranked #296 of 540 Hotels in Dubai
Scotland
“nightclub noise”
Reviewed 19 October 2011

I have recently stayed at Byblos for business and it is very close to my office so that was great. The night manager is a lovely man and very friendly however the noise level is something else in the hotel. There is a nightclub on the penthouse and I spent my first night trying to sleep at 1am however I couldn't due to the thump thump thump of the music and I was on the 11th floor. The nightclub is open until 3am. I got moved on the second night to the 3rd floor however I can still hear the thump thump thump albeit not as loud. Also it now sounds like I have an airconditioning unit next door as when I turn it off I can still hear the noise as if it was on full blast. Breakfasts are fine, bed is very clean and the staff are lovely but don't stay here if you are on holiday as it is just not the right place for that

Room Tip: Make sure you get a room on a lower floor and not facing the front of the hotel as you hear people r...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank latte225
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
  • Arabic first
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 7 September 2011

ohhh, where should i begin...!!!
We stayed here because we were moving villas, locally, and have a 1 1/2 year-old baby...but we are Dubai residents (both American).
They were running a special so the price that included breakfast was pretty good.
We found the locale central (for us) and metro close too.

1st night was ok...the rooms & central areas were pretty clean and the service was friendly & professional.
The furniture & decor was tasteful (ok, the art is cheap, really weird, and major out-of-place!)
But...2nd night we struggled to sleep all night because of strange construction pounding continuing at 1 am...a nightmare to have a toddler up till 1!
we were more than patient and finally called reception to threaten a free room if it didnt stop on our 2nd call to them....they admitted to having a nightclub being built on the top floor & we were just under it, on 15.
In the morning i insisted they move us and upgrade our room for the inconvenience, they did.
We had a not-much-better suite that smelled weirdly dusty or musty...but i was on my way out for the day so did the switch quick & left for the day.
We returned to the room for the night with dinner but couldnt finish because my chest was getting tight and the baby was coughing...the room smelled of strong mold/mildew so i called housekeeping & we discovered the ceiling was molded. YIKES!
>>Oh, there was weird wood swelling & severe water damage in many places throughout the whole hotel...be careful because one side of the rooms (15 floors) are solely supported by only 3 pillars above the pool! double yikes on the architecture!
We had to move AGAIN all-in-a-day and were then moved back down to the 1st type of room we had...so instead of upgrading us, they took it away...LOL...seriously...???
I called guest relations, who quite was nice, and she comped us a dinner in the Murjan coffee shop..appreciative but...wow, we would have much rather ate Burger King...terrible-terrible-terrible food!!!
The room was ok tho...spend the (4th) night there but was napping along with the baby at noon the next day and kept waking to a strong spray-paint, metallic-paint, or heavy adhesive odor...thinking i was dreaming i kept falling back asleep...finally started feeling weird & dizzy so pulled the baby up from the middle of his nap and dashed off to the lobby to catch my breath and get some much needed outside air!
The baby was crying & weirded out wondering what was going on. :(
The guest relations gal was there & explained that it was the nightclub construction-again...and no other comment...offered me a 'juice'...LMAO, no thanks...would rather check-out...NOW!...she was nice tho...and cheered tghe baby up while I calmed down enough to go back to the room to get our stuff & leave.
So i packed up with the bellhop & checked out immediately with the baby myself (husband at work still)...everything in a taxi...baby, luggage, laptop, wad-of-cash, passports, etc...driver puts the car in drive when the bellhop taps the window to stop us and asks me to go back to the reception desk, that they need me.
HUH?
and do what with all this?
"its ok, madam, i will watch your baby" LOL...hahaha! ok, hold my life's valuables in a random taxi, k. ;)
right...so i grab the 2 bags with the cash, etc, and the baby (fyi: its a dubai summer of about 100F and the humidity was 100% today)...get to the desk..."who was in your room?" ..."ummmmm, we have been here for 4 days with loads of drama...dont you know us by now???...my husband and I and my baby-"
"...and....???...no sharers?"
"sorry...WHAT"
(we repeated whole conversation 3 times) when..."oh, sorry ma'am, ok...thanks, thats it" ...me: "are you &$#@* serious....righhhhhhhhht...thats it? you called me in for this???"
Back into the taxi & we left.
unbelievable!
oh, and the breakfast buffet is lame. pool small & weird. broken furniture on "The Deck".

Its really too bad because the decor in the rooms is decent and a few of the staff were great...nice bathrooms, plenty of lil hotel freebies, clean, and in a modest but central locale...completely ruined by situations that I am pretty sure are Illegal in a hotel occupied by guests. Also, not at all baby/kid/family friendly.

*there are loads of great hotels in Dubai so save yourself from a disastrous experience and stay anywhere else but here!!!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
12 Thank MissSnyder

Travellers are raving about these Dubai hotels

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 22 April 2011

We stayed at the Byblos, and while the foyer was being refurbished at the time, it had very little impact on us.

The rooms were ideal, large, well furnished with comfortable beds.

The only issue was the meeting room that was booked had been double booked and we had to make use of a smaller one for a couple of days. The staff we came in contact with were very eager to please, esoecially in the restaurant for breakfast.

I'd recommend the hotel to others. For the quality vs. price, I'd say it was bang on. Don't expect it to be 5* because it's not. What it is though, is a good 4* operation.

also has easy access to Sheikh Zayed Rd which will get you anywhere in Dubai very quickly. Concierge will hail you a cab at all times of day and night!!

• Stayed February 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank olsontowers
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 April 2011

Good room, great location for that particular trip but service needs an overhaul....no-one knew that the wifi was chargeable....the bane of business travellers lives...too ken to point out what was chargeable, a business rather than a vocation .

just add a couple of bucks to the bill and give us free wifi.....

no smoking in bars woufl be a great help

having said that, excellent value for money

• Stayed April 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank otooles
Manama, Bahrain
Reviewed 7 April 2011

I want to comment on the excellent service offered to me during my stay in your hotel.

The room was comfortable and B/fast was nice

Nipun Bhola