“"Free Wi-fi" does not mean Free Wi-fi!”

Grand Midwest Tower - Media City
Ranked #128 of 293 Speciality Lodging in Dubai
Sydney
“"Free Wi-fi" does not mean Free Wi-fi!”
Reviewed 27 October 2009

I made a booking through Expedia at this hotel and was pleasantly surprised to see that free breakfast and internet was included in the pretty reasonable rate.
However, when I went to check in, I was told that breakfast was not included. Because I had made the booking on the road, I'd not printed my confirmation email. They actually made me go to my laptop, save a PDF version of the confirmation on to a memory stick to give to them. Then they conceded that yes, it was included.
THEN they informed me that "free wi-fi" actually meant one hour free per day. Normally I would not bother to argue, but I didn't have much else on that day so I decided to make it my objective to get my promised free wi-fi. I argued with the hotel manager for a good 30 minutes about it - I've never come across someone so stubborn!
I spoke to Expedia who were very helpful, (and agreed with me BTW) but they were not able to get in touch with the hotel as they were conveniently not answering their phones. In the end, my wi-fi stayed mysteriously connected.
Anyway, I really enjoyed my stay, it was a great room, clean, quiet and very good value (even WITHOUT the free stuff!) The customer service though in general was absolutely atrocious. (eg. they don't supply water in the gym "because the guests drink it all!") Actually I would stay there again, (and probably will for the right rate), but if you are considering it, make sure you have everything printed in black and white! Oh, and don't bother emailing them as, needless to say, they don't check emails.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank mole7269
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 22 October 2009

Where to begin... The service is horrendous and unprofessional, advertised amenities unavailable, room cleaning pathetic, food inedible and the hassle simply not worth it. The ONLY thing this hotel has going for it is a fantastic view of the Gulf and Burj al Arab from one side.

Every night the phone rings with an automated message about how great the Grand Midwest hotel is. Every night, sometimes several times a night. Apparently there is some problem with the digital system that even in 2 months they have not fixed. I'm exhausted an grumpy from not getting enough sleep, since sometime we forget to unplug one of the 3 phones.

Also, the water pressure is so bad/variable that some days we couldn't even shower.

Throughout the day and evening the muzak piped into each hallway is audible in the room, on the raf side of the door, creating one's own personal hell.

The cleaner comes 2 times a week and does not know how to make a bed (the mattress- which is super hard and uncomfortable -- is uncovered at our feet and our toes pop out the top sheet). He also does not leave toilet paper, so that we constantly have to ask room service for more! Embarrassing and stingy.

The brochure in each room says a daily newspaper is provided with each room. It is not- they want you to pay an extra 4 AED ($1.30) even though it's supposed to be free.

But definitely the worst part, which exemplifies the entire experience, is the pool situation The day we arrived the pool had a green tinge that turned out to be algae. Unfortunately we didn't discover this until after we went swimming and my husband accidentally swallowed some water than made him violently ill that evening. The next day it was a putrid green and by the next day it was a dark green - yet they didn't close it until we complained, and was shut for the next 2 weeks. When they finally cleaned it they filled it wtih chemicals but did not drain the water. We requested some sort of refund or compensation since we would NEVER have stayed in this hotel without its pool, since EVERY hotel in Dubai has a pool. We told them we would like a refund and move out, they said no we promise it will be fixed within 3 days. In fact, we spoke with the Chairman's daughter and the Head of Operations, wanting to move while it was still early (oh and after the person we signed the conract with had tried to tell me that renting a room in the hotel did not automatically include pool access. what?!?) .

Well, It took more than a week and a half to be fixed. During that time and beyond we had more than 12 meetings with representatives of the chairman, managers, etc coming to an agreement that was then completely disregarded by the chairman when it actually came time to pay.

Halfway through our stay the pool was back up and running, alternatively freezing cold and scalding hot one weekend. They have a pool bar now with a menu. Just don't try to order anything, they don't have it. We talked to the F & B Manager, who started 2 weeks ago, about why they have menus without the food being available and he started talking about how the walls need to be painted (true, but perhaps less urgent?)

And of course on check out they still couldn't get it right. They tried to charge us again for the room fees we'd already paid for in addition to the room service. We spent nearly 45 minutes just trying to pay our bill.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank CRadsch

Travellers are raving about these Dubai hotels

Oxfordshire
Reviewed 25 September 2009

What more do you want!. Just returned to UK after 5 nights in a beautiful apartment. Although the location would not be suitable for everyone we were happy as we were near the malls and had easy access to the airport. We got such a good rate we dare not ask for a room at the back which has the better views. We had a very well equiped studio with breakfast included in the restaurant. Waiter service with omlettes etc cooked to order. Two swimming pools but only one in use. I expect if hotels gets busy they will both be open. Decent size not like the usual plunge pools. Steam room and sauna plus excellent gym with brand new equipment. The two bedroom apartments are absolutely gorgeous. Lots of staff very friendly and helpful. Would definately book again.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Oxon1
Canada
Reviewed 6 July 2009

i've never seen any more unprofessionalism before.
i travel alot and i've seen all types of hotels and services, stayed at the worst hotel you can think of in Dubai, Singapore, New York and have seen what bad service could be, but the level of unprofessionalism i found in this hotel was unbelievable.

three times those people tried to rip me off. here are the details:

1. i called to inquire about the rates (the ads on the building from outside mention AED 299 per room per night), i am quoted a AED 480, i ask about the advertised price, they say the price doesn't include taxes and service charge. i say ok and hang up. the next day i call again, another person answers, i am quoted a AED 380, again i mention the advertised price, i get the same reply, i say fine, and tell them i'll pass by to check the room and reserve it. i arrive, they show me their studio, one bedroom, and two bedrooms, and i'm impressed. we go down to the front desk to reserve the studio, the front desk employee tells me all studios are occupied! she then offers me a one bedroom for AED 600 per night, i say it's too expensive and leave.
i give it a thought and think that why not, i'll stay few nights in that one bedroom, i give them a call to inquire about availability of one bedroom, they say they are available and this time i am quoted AED 480 per room (!?), i say fine, i'll take the room and then pass by to reserve it.
the next day i come to check in and they gave a one bedroom, but much much smaller than the one they showed me and dirty; i complain, they move me to another one (bigger size, but also not clean): the sinks didn't work, the hot water ran out, the air condition switch was dirty and didn't work, i complained about 5 times about all this (they fixed most of the things).

2. when i was checking in, i inquired about the internet rate, they quoted me AED 50 per day (the internet speed is "100", what is a "100" i don't know, but if you ask anyone in the hotel about the internet speed the answer is "100"!). the second day of my stay, i ask for internet connection, they tell me the price is now AED 100, i say i was told the price was AED 50, they said yes, but the prices were changed by "management" ("management" for the hotel workers is God) and if i had liked the price i should have immediately bought the internet connection, it was my fault in other words.

3. also when i was checking in, i was informed that check out time is 2pm, i said i might require a late check out, they told me they would give up until 4 and if i will stay till 6pm i;ll be charged additional 50%.
On the day i was supposed to check out, at around 12:30, i receive a call, from the "hotel front desk" asking me what time i was going to check out, i say around 4pm, so the women on the phone says that "then you will be charged 50%", i get angry, i say i am not paying anything additional as this is what i was told when i checked in. She asks me if i have anything written that says i can leave after 2 without extra charge ... this makes me angrier. she says the manager will call me. the manager calls, he is even worse, and threatens to take my stuff out of the room if i don't agree to pay 50% additional fees, i start screaming. i wasn't able to reach the hotel before 4:30, i meet the manager face to face, i tell him i'll pay 50% if i get to check out around 6 (as they had previously mentioned). the manager accepts.

so this is my story with this hotel. will i ever stay there again? no, never. the hotel is new and the rooms are newly furnished, but i've been treated much much better in much worse hotels. never a hotel changed prices on me like, and never a hotel tried to rip me off in such a way. And i can't describe how mean were the people i was dealing with (except for two persons one is an indian woman who said she was the assistant hotel manager, wasn't able to provide much help on the charges issue, but very friendly, understanding and lovable, and the other person is the bellboy Gujrit, what a nice person, speaks good english, remembers everything, does his job with so much love, this person should run the hotel).

every time i tried to ask for something, they tried take more money from me. at night one time, i called room service to order a club sandwich (a AED 50 dinner) and the guy who answered was like "why don't come down to our restaurant and eat in the buffet" i was like "no thank you, i'm tired, i'd rather eat in my room", he insisted "sir, please listen to me, the stay in the restaurant is very nice, and you will only be charged extra for the service, nothing more" ... i don't know if i am too picky and this is normal, but i remember one time i complained about the unavailability of the internet for few hours at the Intercontinental Hotel (the old one in dubai) and the whole management (from hotel mamanger, to sales manager, to front desk manager) were apologetic, sent me apologies email and i was offered TWO free nights at the hotel to be used on my next stay ... THIS is a good service and this is how a hotel treats its guests. At the grand midwest i felt everyone was trying to get money out of their guests in any possible way. Everytime i was passing in front of the front desk i found someone complaining about something, i try to listen, and it's all about some misunderstanding in regards to a certain charge.

Long review, but at least you have the details, avoid the hotel if you like prime and impeccable service. Oh and always ask for two keys, if you leave the room and remove the key from the door knob, all the electricity shuts down in the room, INCLUDING the air conditionning! (when i arrived at my room late night, it was so hot and humid, the next day i was talking to the nice assistant hotel manager and mentioned this to her, she told me to get another key to leave in the room) ... more things i would like to share, but i think you have a clear idea by now (thank you for reading so far).

• Stayed June 2009, travelled on business