“Comfortable, good location, overall: pleased”

Grand Midwest Tower - Media City
Ranked #141 of 304 Speciality Lodging in Dubai
Reviewed 24 July 2011

The hotel is located in a good area that is close to the Mall of the Emirates (It took us about 5-7 mins. by car to get there). And not too far from the Dubai Mall and Burj Khalifa (around 15mins. drive) both during good traffic flow. There are two grocery stores nearby: a small one located in the BBC world building (opposite the hotel from the rear side) and a bigger one in the building where the Al Hilal bank is located).
When we first arrived, we noticed that kitchen utensils were missing, as well as bath and hand towels but when informed, house keeping brought them up to our room in less than 20mins.
Hotel staff are friendly, rooms are big, spacious and clean with a good view of Sheikh Zayed main road. However, "valet parking" is only half true because during our 5 day stay, our car was parked by the hotel's driver during late evenings/nights but during the day, there was no one to bring our car from the basement parking and so we had to do it ourselves.
Other than that, we would recommend this hotel to others, mainly for its convenient location and cleanliness.

Room Tip: When booking online: 1) Print a copy of the confirmation 2) Call hotel reservation desk to double ch...
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank NM13
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 7 June 2011

The entrance of the hotel from the back is not appropriate. I hope you fix this problem before the next time of me coming as a guest to your beautiful memories in your hotel. Other than that, everything is fine and I am looking forward to come again soon as a guest to your beautiful hotel.

Room Tip: our room which was 1704 with a nice kitchen
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends
3  Thank Saudi_australia
Reviewed 10 April 2011

I booked the hotel online for 3 nights, it was advertised as a 5 star, arrived to a very disturbing surprise. The room was dirty, grease fingerprints on all wood surfaces and doors, dust all over, broken furniture and dirty bedsheets, there were cups and dishes that had lumps of dried food remains and a fridge that was not cleand for a long time.
I complained to reception and they couldn't understand why i was so upset to see a dirty room! so they sent me the cleaners to clean the room again, it was 10 pm and i had to wait for another hour to get my room cleaned.
after that i went into the room to find little change, i took the photos of the room after the second cleaning, have a look and judge for yourselves.
i told reception that i want to cancel, and the answer i got was that they don't do cancellation, and it was not until i contacted the online booking website and told them the story that my booking was canceled, even though i still paid for the first night.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Avogh
Reviewed 5 December 2010

we had 2 bedrooms appartment with excellent sea view , it can accomodate 5 ( when using the sofa in the living room) it feels as if at home. Everything you need was availlable.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 October 2010

WARNING: EXTREMELY LONG RANT

Highlights: Bell boys were excellent, location is good – next to the metro and the office with a nice grocery store 10 minutes away by foot.

Disappointments: Everything else: missing furniture, poor quality existing furniture, unclean dishes, poorly stocked kitchen, broken fixtures, inattentive (uncaring desk staff and manager), various broken room fixtures, read on for more detail.

We have stayed here two other times in the past 2 months and I can’t believe how different things were this time. Maybe the hotel experienced a management change, I don't know??

I apologize now for not giving the good review when I experienced it. It seems so few (including myself) take the time to give credit when credit is due but can’t get to a computer fast enough to complain. My husband and I travel a lot and am really going to work at giving an honest review everywhere we go, good or bad. I use Trip Advisor heavily when trying to make travel decisions, it’s time I give back.

Our first stay at this hotel back in July I believe was average. Nothing outstandingly good and nothing to really complain about, we were only here for 2 or 3 nights.

Our second stay was in August. We were staying for a full two weeks and this time were given a corner room that was a little more spacious and bright (#1401). Outside of a few small irritations that you would probably find anywhere, the stay was enjoyable and were looking forward to our next visit.

On this, our 3rd visit, we arrived very, very late on Sept 15 and are staying until the Oct 2; 17 full nights.

At check-in we noticed on our room key envelope that we had already been reassigned rooms, twice, from the 17th floor to the 9th. (We’ve lived in Dubai for the past 3 years so the a view from our room was not important to us, we were more concerned about a comfortable living arrangement since we have been, quite literally, living out of hotel rooms for the past month and will continue for another 2) Since we were arriving at 1:30am I could understand they had moved us down the food chain but my disappointment was fully realized the next morning.

We were put in room 909. I was a little bummed out that it was not a corner room but I was so tired from our travel I didn’t care much. We pulled out what we had to have from our suitcases and went to bed. At face value the place was nice enough it, it would photograph ok, from a distance, it wasn’t until the next morning as I began to really move around the room I started realizing the problems.

Maybe I should back up a second…. The rooms we stay in at this hotel are extended stay rooms which are supposed to include basic “home-like” amenities. A separate bedroom with wardrobes, iron and board, en-suite tub/shower, (usually daily toiletries but not this time), a “well appointed” living room including chair, couch, TV, DVD player, a small kitchen with basic wares, a washing machine (yay!!), a desk, dinning table (based on the past two rooms we’ve stayed in) and a small water closet in the entryway.

The first disappointment was the darkness of this room. I’m a very bright kind of soul; I like natural light and have a ‘thing’ with being able to open up windows to get some fresh air upon occation. This particular lay out only has two small windows in the living room and only one that opens (no big deal – there is a small walk out patio), but only one of those windows have blinds actually raise up, the other was broken and was constantly in the down position.

This particular layout also has a much smaller bathroom (which is important when the two of you are trying to get ready in the morning) and a smaller kitchen that is more open to the rest of the living areas. This is only a negative because, well, when cooking twice a day it’s nice to have a little extra counter space to work on AND the washing machine is in kitchen. As many of you probably know the washing machines out side of the States are quite small, take a very long time, and are usually pretty loud… This kitchen is open to the living room which I would typically enjoy except for the washing machine situation.

The final straw I discovered that morning (but by no means the last problem) is the glaring fact that there was no dinning table. We stay at extended stay hotels so we can cook at ‘home’ and not have to order out every night here there is no table. Not really a deal breaker, like many of you, we eat in the living room a lot, but a dinning table makes for a nice workspace to comfortably spread out on as well as a proper eating facility when you so choose.

These three minor discomforts were enough to drive me down to reception in the morning to inquire about the possibility of switching to a bigger room sometime in the next couple days. I was met with a staff member who insisted on telling me that she would not know the availability of rooms until 8pm that night. This was baffling to me since we were blindsided at check-in and had our ‘reserve’ credit card charged, without warning, in full for the entire stay. So, I asked the person at the desk, if they have charged everyone in advance for their stay it should be quite easy to look in the computer and tell if any of the rooms I’m requesting are coming available in the next night or two so I can switch before I fully unpack. She was unreceptive to this logic and was of absolutely no help. I decided to check back later in the afternoon and speak with someone else.

This also was fruitless – over the next 5 days I checked back with numerous desk staff, none of which would or could help me or seemed to even care about our dissatisfaction with our room.

Over the next several days other frustrations began to surface. There was a posted list of the few kitchen items that came with the room and on this list was a frying pan. On day three when I was beginning to understand we probably were not going to move I decided to cook breakfast I discovered there was no frying pan. At that moment the easiest option was to go out for breakfast. As we prepped to leave for the day we discovered that the in room safe was not working… We packed our valuables for the day and stopped at the desk on the way out. I let them know that the safe battery was dead and asked if they would fix the safe and let them know I was missing the frying pan. I was assured it would all be resolved by the time we returned.

We arrived ‘home’ at 5pm that evening and walked into the room to discover that although the room had been cleaned I found the refrigerator sitting wide open!!! I had a few grocery items in there but what threw me over the edge was the fact that I had a very large sum of money worth of perishable medication in there! After attending to that I went to the safe and of course discovered that nothing had been done to fix it and there was of course no frying pan!!

I called down to the desk and found them unconcerned with the state of affairs in our room. I received a heartless, “sorry madam” only because I demanded it and was assured someone would be right up to fix the safe and bring a pan. A gentleman did indeed arrive in 10 minutes to evaluate the safe but had no pan. He went to retrieve a battery and returned still with no pan. After another call down to the desk 40 minutes after our arrival home someone knocked on my door with a frying pan. This was the poorest excuse for a pan I had ever seen. It looked as though a badger had gotten a hold of it and then quickly discarded it. When I stopped the man and told him this would not be acceptable he told me to call the desk. I quickly went downstairs with pan in hand to talk to the apparent Manager. He was less concerned than the rest of the staff over my explanation of events over the last couple days and was baffled that I had a problem with the pan that was brought to me. He asked me to return to my room and a pan would be delivered. I threw my hands in the air with a sigh – it was FINALLY clear to me that I would just have to suck up this mini-hell I was in and know that I would not be coming back again.
I did receive a proper pan in about 10 minutes but the only comfort that offered to me was the ability to cook (once I went to the store and purchased a can opener and strainer and a cheap proper kitchen knife).

The rest of the stay was more of the same – *-As mentioned before, housekeeping does not do dishes which is no problem but that lack of action carries over into the make-ready of the room in between guests so all of the dishes were dirty when we arrived and looked as though they had simply been ran under some water with a quick wipe of some clothe.
*Sheets were not changed until I caught on sometime in the second week when I realized I had been seeing the same black spot on the sheets since the day we arrived. When I asked the housekeeper about it he did change them that day.
*Towels we received were often stained here and there
*Lights would burn out and despite the staff turning on every light in the flat every day, no one ever replaced the expired bulbs.
*The blinds in the living room I left in the ‘open’ position to show the fact that they were broken, never addressed.
*The area rug in the living room and the small ones in the bedroom were an eyesore but worse is the nasty feel of the rug on your bare feet. It felt as though someone had spilled milk or some other thick liquid and it was just left to dry. There was also a good amount of staining around the couch area (no doubt from people dropping food as they tried to eat at the coffee table because of the lack of dinner table). I would not walk on any of the rugs bare foot and often wore socks or slippers.
*The couches were uncomfortable in their own right but the real problem was the completely decimated cushion. They were visually concaved in the seating areas and there was no decent padding left on them.
*Despite it being on the list of room amenities, that was nicely straightened everyday on my coffee table, there was indeed no DVD player available to us. I’m not sure if other rooms we stayed at in the past had one available, but this one definitely did not.
*The sink in the bathroom did not drain properly; everyday the cleaning crew would closed the drain and every day I fought to get it to open again and as the days passed the drainage got worse and worse. Finally the husband took our personal multi-tool we travel with and the kitchen knife supplied by the hotel and was finally able to retrieve the cause of the problem – a small cap, seemingly from a shampoo bottle.

There is no access to the front of the hotel where a service road would normally run. This is not, for once, the fault of the hotel but rather the city of Dubai. They have opted to install a metro stop a few meters to the north and has since decided not to finish the service road, instead it is merely a dust pit with no taxi access available. The Metro is handy if you’d like to use it but getting dropped off by taxi is a bit challenging on trying to figure out how to enter the actual building and arrive into the hotel lobby.
Parking is included with the room (internet is not) and is on the lower basement level. To access the garage you have to pass a guard shack where a person, if you are lucky, sticks his head out and inquires where you are going and then raises the security arm. Most times, especially after about 6pm, you sit out there and have to honk your horn and wait, patiently. Eventually a person arrives from somewhere, they swipe a badge over a sensor and the security arm rises, usually without ever inquiring about your purpose there. This is a complaint for many reasons but mostly it disturbs me because I cannot figure out why it appears some guests have cards that will allow them to badge in and others do not.
To make things particularly interesting, 3 days before we were due to check out, we exited the hotel by foot in the standard way, thru a door in the valet garage, only to discover this particular morning 3 men were tearing up the concrete with a jackhammer right there in the small garage, outside the only “logical” exit from the hotel. There was no warning signs, no rope off of the area; the men were not wearing any form of safety equipment, no hat, goggles, ear plugs nothing! The next day they finally closed off that entrance/exit and if you wanted to exit by foot you were now forced to use the only other exit available which was onto the dirt service road at the front of the building, and walk around. The first Friday (1st day of the weekend) after this work began I was awoken at 7am by the sound of jackhammers. We were only on the 9th floor so it was not too high above the work going on in the garage and when you are in a cement-framed building, with cement walls and someone is jack hammering the foundation of that building, sound tends to carry, loudly. It lasted about 30 minutes and then finally stopped. I imagine many very angry people must have been woken and flooded the front desk with complaints because the work didn’t start up again until around 10am and the same for Saturday.

Just for good fun one evening, on a work night, around midnight or 1am the fire alarm for the building blared 2 or 3 times and then stopped suddenly. We sat straight up in bed trying to figure out what was going on, did it actually happen, do we need to evacuate?! When we called down to the desk to inquire if there was some emergency they simply said, “No, we were just testing the system”. No apologies or further explanation as to why it was “tested” at such a time… just a test… right.

Another major annoyance we encountered often was the lack of undivided attention by anyone at the front desk. Any time you tried to go down to the desk to inquire about something they could not stay focused. For example, if someone else walked up while they were talking with someone, checking someone in, anything, they immediately turned their attention to the new person without so much as an “excuse me for a moment” to the original customer. If the phone rang, same thing, they just answered it, even if we were in the middle of a conversation. If their personal cell phone – same – they were like goldfish, but not as helpful. We thoroughly enjoy this experience as we checked out. The man at the desk was standing around when we approached, we asked to check out and without a word he put his head down to the computer and began typing. Since they charged our card for the room upon arrival there was not much to decipher on our bill but more than 5 minutes later we were still standing there while he was on his computer and answering random phone rings. I finally asked if he was getting our bill together and he appeared to suddenly come back to reality and made a call and nodded in our direction. When I inquired if he had begun our check out process he told me he was waiting for housekeeping to verify our ‘mini bar’ (which is no more than some Pringles, M&Ms and a couple bottles of water). We told him we had consumed one bottle of water on the first night and it was never replaced…. (I didn’t believe they kept very good tabs on the stuff) Once housekeeping called him back to supposedly confirm our usage he finally got our bill together. We quickly left to catch our plane and discovered later (shame on us) that they had wrongly charged us $13 for supposedly making a local call. We never used the phone except when we would attempt to call down to the desk. The first time we tried we discovered that none of the preprogrammed buttons worked and we had to go down stairs to speak with someone. They sent a man up to fix the phone and he simply confirmed that it didn’t work right and gave us the direct number to the front desk…

We have lived in the Middle East, Dubai in particular, for 3 years. Some of these problems I understand to be the cost of doing business here but it does not make the ‘typical’ occurrences here any less irritating and absolutely does NOT excuse the ridiculously poor experience we had on this particular stay at this hotel.

To summarize:
Despite my previous two decent stays this last experience has put such a sour taste in my mouth I will avoid this hotel in the future at all costs, literally. Thanks for reading and I hope this helps someone to avoid an unpleasant holiday or business stay.

The only part of this hotel that was enjoyable were the lovely Bell Boys. They were both fabulous men, very friendly and as helpful as they could be. They were a bit of sunshine in an otherwise stormy stay.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled on business