All reviews rice planting local village solar power village children panning for gold one night village visit beautiful trip mekong river living conditions day cruise oil lamps traditional laos food attached bathroom rural laos village life the open air restaurant
Reviewed 9 April 2017

We visited and stayed at Kamu Lodge as part of a Luang Say trip to Huay Xai. There is a lot of information in other reviews about the lodge, which we liked. We also found the activities interesting (particularly rice planting!).

When you travel in Laos there are lots of opportunities to visit villages and see what village life is like. What I feel a bit uncomfortable about is when it seems to be 'touristy'. What I really valued about visiting the local village at Kamu was that it was welcomed and you could visit whenever you liked. A number of villagers were employed by the Lodge, and you could really see what the houses, food storage, washing and other things were like for the locals. It certainly opened the eyes of my family to how different life can be.

You can visit Kamu direct from Luang Prabang. We liked going here prior to being picked up by Luang Say for the rest of the trip.

• Stayed: January 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 February 2017

I visited the Kamu Lodge Experience as the final stage of a 'voluntour' trip to Laos and it is truly a remarkable place, we arrived by boat after travelling along the Mekong river and were welcomed to the resort. I use the term resort loosely as it is little more then tents and wooden thatched roof buildings in the middle of rice fields with winding paths to join them.

I stayed as part of a group of ten and we had the entire place to ourselves which made the trip even more enjoyable. I stayed for a two night stay and wish that I could have stayed there longer, while there I had to full body messages which were compilmentary due to the lodge not being busy. There optional activities such as visiting a new by village and a hike with a picnic. I choose the third option which was cross bow shooting, I learnt that I am better with a cross bow then I have ever been with a long bow.

The food was simple but well cooked and with plenty of portions, and we were on full board so only had to worry about buying drinks and we received two bottles of water free every day. The accommodation itself was outstanding and has taken my expectation of camping to a entire new level. There is a touch in the 'room' to help you get around because it becomes really dark in the evening. I defiantly recommend that anyone visiting this part of Laos in the near future, make time for this experience because words just do not give it justice.

Room Tip: Make sure you save some time to relax in the chill out area, in the beautiful surroundings.
  • Stayed: December 2016, travelled with friends
Reviewed 13 February 2017

Everything was really good.. we had such fun and an interesting experience. Loved the beautiful gardens, rice fields, visiting the village and farm. 2 things.. the menus need updating with correct prices and for an eco village, having flushing toilets is a no no, composting toilets is the way to go. Thanks

Stayed: February 2017
Reviewed 11 February 2017

We enjoyed everything about the entire experience. The boat trip up river begins the relaxation process and by the time you arrive, see the tents, setting amidst the rice paddies, and have lunch you feel like you are really on vacation. We stayed two nights, which I recommend if you can take the time. The first day was an opportunity to take a go at trying some activities and go for a nice hike. The second day was just so relaxing. My favorite part of the stay was the brilliant stars and planets that we could see at night. Zero light pollution makes you feel like the galaxy is just an arm's reach away.

Room Tip: Tents are all nicely placed on the hillside up from the river, no bad tents.
  • Stayed: January 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 February 2017

If you are looking for a unique experience, this is it! After traveling down the Mekong for two days our stay at Kamu Lodge was the highlight of our experience. The local village people met us at the dock to assist us with our luggage. Their village is just a short walk over a footbridge and worth every moment to experience their home made rice whisky that is available in reusable water bottles for about $2.00. We had a few activities to chose from. I selected the open air massage for 90 minutes. After my massage and shower, we had dinner at a little thatched hut in the center of the rice paddy. Dinner was pre-set and fabulous. After dinner we retired to our tents with attached bathrooms. The event of the evening was about to begin when we turned out the lights. The night sky sparkled and danced, shooting stars dabbled the canvas....Gorgeous! Back in the tent...Bedtime....I could not see my hand in front of me. I have never experience true black sky until then. Headlamp and flashlights are a must for mid-night trips to the toilet. Fascinating adventure that I would recommend to everyone.

Stayed: February 2017