All reviews rice planting nearby village no electricity one night beautiful trip mekong river living conditions day cruise attached bathroom rural laos traditional laos food the open air restaurant beer lao rainy season villagers insight accommodation
Reviewed 13 February 2017

Everything was really good.. we had such fun and an interesting experience. Loved the beautiful gardens, rice fields, visiting the village and farm. 2 things.. the menus need updating with correct prices and for an eco village, having flushing toilets is a no no, composting toilets is the way to go. Thanks

Reviewed 11 February 2017

We enjoyed everything about the entire experience. The boat trip up river begins the relaxation process and by the time you arrive, see the tents, setting amidst the rice paddies, and have lunch you feel like you are really on vacation. We stayed two nights, which I recommend if you can take the time. The first day was an opportunity to take a go at trying some activities and go for a nice hike. The second day was just so relaxing. My favorite part of the stay was the brilliant stars and planets that we could see at night. Zero light pollution makes you feel like the galaxy is just an arm's reach away.

Room tip: Tents are all nicely placed on the hillside up from the river, no bad tents.
Date of stay: January 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 February 2017

If you are looking for a unique experience, this is it! After traveling down the Mekong for two days our stay at Kamu Lodge was the highlight of our experience. The local village people met us at the dock to assist us with our luggage. Their village is just a short walk over a footbridge and worth every moment to experience their home made rice whisky that is available in reusable water bottles for about $2.00. We had a few activities to chose from. I selected the open air massage for 90 minutes. After my massage and shower, we had dinner at a little thatched hut in the center of the rice paddy. Dinner was pre-set and fabulous. After dinner we retired to our tents with attached bathrooms. The event of the evening was about to begin when we turned out the lights. The night sky sparkled and danced, shooting stars dabbled the canvas....Gorgeous! Back in the tent...Bedtime....I could not see my hand in front of me. I have never experience true black sky until then. Headlamp and flashlights are a must for mid-night trips to the toilet. Fascinating adventure that I would recommend to everyone.

1  Thank sanclementegirl
Reviewed 3 February 2017

Let me start by saying this is glamping, not a high-end hotel. Everything is run by solar power, which means that if it’s cloudy…the shower will be cold and the only light you’ll have in your room is a flashlight. You’ll be completely off the grid here with no wifi and cell service or ability to charge your devices. If you can’t handle that, then this place is not for you. If you can, this place is incredible. Personally I loved being away from my devices.

The three-hour journey up the Mekong is almost worth the price of the lodge alone. I was the only traveler on my day, so I had a guide, driver and boat all to myself. We slowly meandered up the Mekong passing fisherman, water buffalo and even some elephants (from a local camp). It was incredibly peaceful. Once I arrived at the lodge, I moved to full relaxation mode. I lounged on the deck outside my tent enjoying a book and listening to the sounds of the jungle. Once it cooled down a bit, I tried my hand at the optional activities that included archery, fishing, plowing with a water buffalo (very difficult), and planting and harvesting rice. My private guide Onchan walked me through everything and I felt like I was learning so much about his life and culture. He was thoughtful and took great care of me. After the activities, I enjoyed a massage overlooking the river at sunset. The next day, Onchan took me on two eye-opening visits to a rural farm and local village both without electricity. The young children were excited to see me, which made my day. I’d highly recommend Kamu Lodge. My only feedback would be that they provide some sort of dressing room for the massages (since they give you special pants to wear). Other than that, I had a great time and enjoyed one of the best sleeps of my trip here.

• Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed 20 January 2017

We stayed here as part of a wonderful 3 day cruise down the Mekong from north Thailand into Laos. This is a fascinating eco-tourist resort that seems to have a strong ethical relationship with the neighbouring village, providing various employments for the local people and paying the village when tourists visit. Lovely setting and attentive staff. Accommodation consists of large superior en suite tents. Facilities are adequate and beds are comfortable - electricity is solar. If you enjoy camping, then you'll love this place.

Date of stay: January 2017