All reviews rice planting local village solar power village children panning for gold one night village visit beautiful trip mekong river living conditions day cruise oil lamps traditional laos food attached bathroom rural laos village life the open air restaurant
Reviewed 5 February 2017

If you are looking for a unique experience, this is it! After traveling down the Mekong for two days our stay at Kamu Lodge was the highlight of our experience. The local village people met us at the dock to assist us with our luggage. Their village is just a short walk over a footbridge and worth every moment to experience their home made rice whisky that is available in reusable water bottles for about $2.00. We had a few activities to chose from. I selected the open air massage for 90 minutes. After my massage and shower, we had dinner at a little thatched hut in the center of the rice paddy. Dinner was pre-set and fabulous. After dinner we retired to our tents with attached bathrooms. The event of the evening was about to begin when we turned out the lights. The night sky sparkled and danced, shooting stars dabbled the canvas....Gorgeous! Back in the tent...Bedtime....I could not see my hand in front of me. I have never experience true black sky until then. Headlamp and flashlights are a must for mid-night trips to the toilet. Fascinating adventure that I would recommend to everyone.

Stayed: February 2017
1  Thank sanclementegirl
Reviewed 3 February 2017

Let me start by saying this is glamping, not a high-end hotel. Everything is run by solar power, which means that if it’s cloudy…the shower will be cold and the only light you’ll have in your room is a flashlight. You’ll be completely off the grid here with no wifi and cell service or ability to charge your devices. If you can’t handle that, then this place is not for you. If you can, this place is incredible. Personally I loved being away from my devices.

The three-hour journey up the Mekong is almost worth the price of the lodge alone. I was the only traveler on my day, so I had a guide, driver and boat all to myself. We slowly meandered up the Mekong passing fisherman, water buffalo and even some elephants (from a local camp). It was incredibly peaceful. Once I arrived at the lodge, I moved to full relaxation mode. I lounged on the deck outside my tent enjoying a book and listening to the sounds of the jungle. Once it cooled down a bit, I tried my hand at the optional activities that included archery, fishing, plowing with a water buffalo (very difficult), and planting and harvesting rice. My private guide Onchan walked me through everything and I felt like I was learning so much about his life and culture. He was thoughtful and took great care of me. After the activities, I enjoyed a massage overlooking the river at sunset. The next day, Onchan took me on two eye-opening visits to a rural farm and local village both without electricity. The young children were excited to see me, which made my day. I’d highly recommend Kamu Lodge. My only feedback would be that they provide some sort of dressing room for the massages (since they give you special pants to wear). Other than that, I had a great time and enjoyed one of the best sleeps of my trip here.

• Stayed: February 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 20 January 2017

We stayed here as part of a wonderful 3 day cruise down the Mekong from north Thailand into Laos. This is a fascinating eco-tourist resort that seems to have a strong ethical relationship with the neighbouring village, providing various employments for the local people and paying the village when tourists visit. Lovely setting and attentive staff. Accommodation consists of large superior en suite tents. Facilities are adequate and beds are comfortable - electricity is solar. If you enjoy camping, then you'll love this place.

• Stayed: January 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 January 2017

We arrived around lunchtime after a river boat trip up the Mekong, and were met by Oliver, the very charismatic and warm General Manager. You are accomodated in new and really comfortable and grand tents, which rely only on solar power. We were very privileged to be the only guests that day, and we were royally looked after. Oliver is a fascinating and really warm and welcoming host, who we spent hours talking to. His staff are well trained, and very friendly and helpful. We visited the nearby village which was really simple - a fascinating experience - whilst we were there they were barbequing a captured snake that seemed to be a bit of a delicacy! The villagers didn't seem to mind our "intrusion". Our 24 hours at Kamu Lodge were a real treat, and one of the highlights of our visit to Laos. Don't miss it!

Stayed: December 2016
Reviewed 20 December 2016

It is definitely a special place, about 3 1/2 hours by boat from Luang Prabang, at the edge of a small Khamu village (That's why it is called Kamu Lodge). A few tents on a paved platform under a bamboo-straw hut with some views onto the Mekong river (if it isn't overgrown by the jungle). A bar and the restaurant in the midst of rice terraces (rather used as the resort attraction than for food), great homemade laotian food is served all inclusive. A personal guide will give you a choice of activities like visiting two neighboring villages or climb up the mountains in the back to where these people used to live before they were forced by the government to move down to the river. Or he teaches you how to fish like the locals, gold panning or even swim in the Mekong. Or teach you to plow a terrace and plant rice... So it's an experience by its own, even so some things could be improved, the very simple bathroom for example or the fact, that there is no electricity except voltaic current enough to turn on a lamp - therefor make sure you come with full batteries for your camera! Considering the price the amenities are very basic - but still worth to have some insight on rural live.

• Stayed: December 2016, travelled as a couple