All reviews monks walk every morning the main street garden view night market eggs cooked to order nearby temple quiet street breakfast is served monks collecting mekong river rice teak floors within walking distance collect alms lovely guesthouse breakfast area
Reviewed 26 July 2013

I stayed in the Villa Chitdara for several days in my recent visit to Luang Prabang. I felt at home there very quickly, and grew to love the natural decor that surrounds you. I felt very much in harmony with the environment around us, as it is nestled in among trees and other vegetation. I liked how the Villa Chitdara is just off the main streets of Luang Prabang, so you don't have as much traffic (car, bike, and foot) passing by as some guesthouses do outside. And yet, you are just a minute or two away from the main streets so you're not far away. The space for breakfast in the garden is truly special -- I cherish my memories of waking up to their coffee next to that beautiful garden. My room faced the street, so I could wake up and watch the monks' procession in the morning from my balcony. The staff were friendly in every encounter I had with them. I certainly would recommend for anyone visiting L.P. and looking for a quieter, more retreat-like milieu.

Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 17 July 2013

We stayed upstairs in a room with a balcony overlooking the street. This was great for viewing the monks procession in the morning. It wasn't noisy at all being street facing. The room was large and well appointed, with ample storage space. The room was attractive and had a good ambience. The staff were friendly and helpful. The location is quite central being between the 2 rivers and a short walk to the nightly market. It is not a big town so walking anywhere is easy.
The breakfast was limited to an omelette or eggs, breads/ toast, small selection of fruit and butter. Coffee/ tea/ juice. I prefer an Asian breakfast when on holiday but there was none on offer. This may not be an issue to most people though.
All in all a fantastic place to stay that set the tone for a wonderful stay in Luang Prabang.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 July 2013

We stayed at Villa Chitdara for 6 nights. It was in a fantastic location - apart from the roosters, very quiet, within a short walk to the main street and the night market and on one of the main routes for the morning alms giving ceremony. The room was comfortable with wooden floors and the heavy beautiful Laos wooden furniture. Breakfast was great with eggs cooked to order, a selection of fruit and really delicious chewy baguettes.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 July 2013

Mostly I will echo what others are saying: the location is good - close enough to walk to all attractions, but still quiet (other than the roosters, but they didn't bother me). I had a room with a balcony overlooking the lovely garden. The room itself was very comfortable, with a safe, TV, fridge, hot water. The staff were all pleasant and helpful with questions. WiFi is slow, but that's not the fault of the hotel. I stayed here for 5 nights and loved it!
The monks walk for alms right by the hotel though beware of women wanting to sell you food to give to them (if you want to donate food to the monks, buy sticky rice in advance).

Room Tip: Try to upstairs, garden view
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 7 July 2013

We stayed at Villa Chitdara for four nights while exploring Luang Prabang. It is a nice, quiet location along one of the primary routes for the monks alms each morning. It is also only a short walk (as is most everything in LP) to Tourist Street, the Night Market and many of the good restaurants along the peninsula. Breakfast included in the price and was quite good. Eggs made to order and very good coffee. The internet in the room was hit or miss but the room itself was very comfortable. We had a room with a balcony overlooking the main street, and the bathroom+shower was nice. From a value perspective, this was probably one of the best places we stayed on our trip to SE Asia. Only downside is there is no pool but that is common in LP and can be remedied with a day trip out to the amazing Kuang Si Falls!

Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple