“Nice views from a cell-like room”

Sheraton Montazah Hotel
Ranked #12 of 38 Hotels in Alexandria
Cairo, Egypt
“Nice views from a cell-like room”
Reviewed 6 April 2012

I made the mistake of having my staff reserve a hotel room on the east side of Alexandria because I had business to conduct east of the city, only to find out I had to go clear across town to catch the highway heading east up the coastline. Oh, well.

Check in was cordial and efficient. But on entering my room I recalled the advice I received from a colleague that had stayed there in June 1999, "It's a cell." Pretty apt description. Bathroom was sized for munchkins and the bedroom wasn't much larger. And to top things off, they gave me two twin beds. I'm a big guy. The bed was like a hammock - soft. And the pillow(s) were even worse. And I wasn't the only one complaining; I had two of my staff with me plus a driver and they complained about the beds as well. Time to change your mattresses, Sheraton!

Breakfast was typical for the region and well laid out so you didn't have to stumble over each other to get your food. Service was good; I was immediately offered coffee and got the decaf I require without delay. Offers to refill were prompt and cordial.

We were hungry on late check in and the valet recommended a good fish restaurant "around the corner." It's a little further than that but well worth the walk - an excellent fish restaurant called Hosny. It's worth the stay at the Sheraton!

Room Tip: Ask for a Montazah side room with a queen bed and pray the room is larger than what you see here...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
Montazah00438, General Manager at Sheraton Montazah Hotel, responded to this review, 14 April 2012
Dear Mr. Douglas,
Thank you very much for having the time to post your very constructive comments with regards to your recent stay with us. I do regret that our room size and bed was not up to your expectations. Please accept our apologies for the inconvenience that might has been occurred in that respect. On the other hand, I do thank you for your nice comments concerning our staff and service which definitely will be conveyed to our Management team. Once again thank you for your time to post your feedback. Looking forward to welcoming you again soon at the Sheraton Montazah Hotel, assuring you that no effort shall be spared in order to make your next stay with us more comfortable.
Sincerely Yours,
Atef Wilson
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
Brisbane
Reviewed 4 April 2012

We had arranged with the Sheraton to pick us up at the train station after we travelled from Cairo by train. We arrived at Sidi Gabir Railway Station (closest to Sheraton) after a pleasant train ride from Cairo, to be met by nobody. After waing for half an hour, we caught a dodgy cab to the hotel where were met with almost indifference until I produced the Starwood Card and asked where was the transport. "So sorry sir, the person who arranged it is away today and did not tell anyone." Not a lot of communication.
The room was excellent and had a great view of the mediteranean and into Montazah Park next door (across a very busy road on the corner). The buffet breakfast was excellent and the evening meals were limited but quite good. There are no other restaurants in the area except a couple in the hotel (although there were a couple of cafes for snacks at the local supermarket complex). The servicing of the rooms was OK, and the hotel offered limited internet access on a daily basis. The private beach was available for those intrepid souls who wished to brave the traffic of the Corniche to get across the road.
The biggest problem we found is the location and thus getting to the city for visiting the many worthwhile sights/sites in Alexandria. We had to catch cabs to and from the city every day and it required us to plan the day to avoid retacing steps. Once in the city it was a delight to walk around. It took about 4 days to try and do the city justice. There were lots of small restaurants and coffee shops as well as street stalls selling ice-cream and cold drinks.
We extended our original stay for an extra day and this was fine by the front desk. However, this was not communicated to the room staff who decided to kick us out of the room on the day of the original departure. It took a little time to make sure that the communication from front desk to staff got through before we left for another day of sightseeing. We we arrived back to the hotel that evening, lots of apologies and extra treats in the room by way of apology.
Having said this, when visiting Alex again, I would definitely stay in the centre of town and not way out in Montazah. Maybe not as upmarket, but a lot less hassel with the traffic.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the Med.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank AntarcticBound
Montazah00438, General Manager at Sheraton Montazah Hotel, responded to this review, 5 April 2012
Dear Guest,
First of all I would like thank you for choosing the Sheraton Montazah Hotel for your esteemed stay in Alexandria and for posting your great feedback and very constructive comments on trip advisor. Please accept our sincere apologies for the unintentional inconvenience that might has been caused, assuring you that a considerable attention has been given to the negative points raised. Again, thank you very much for your time to post your valuable feedback and for your understanding. Looking forward to welcoming you again soon at the Sheraton Montazah Hotel.
Sincerely Yours,
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 16 March 2012

The best thing about this hotel is the staff: Everyone was patient, kind, and helpful. The rooms are comfortable and we had a great view of the Mediterranean.

The bathroom was modern, though I noticed one day that housekeeping did not clean the tub.

The hotel offers free internet access, but each room--meaning all occupants must share the time--is allotted 45 minutes to use one of four computers in the lobby. Wireless is available in the rooms for about $10/hour.

The workout room had good equipment. If you are interested in getting a massage, be sure to call in advance. They only offer this service to women on certain days.

We were in Egypt during late February/early March, and the daily temperature was around 50F. We were able to control the heat in our room, but I felt cold everywhere else, whether in the hotel, in a restaurant, in a museum... Most places in Egypt are not equipped with central heating, so you should be prepared for that.

Overall, this hotel was great and I would definitely stay there again.

1 Thank LEOleprof
Montazah00438, General Manager at Sheraton Montazah Hotel, responded to this review, 18 March 2012
Dear Guest,
I was very pleased to learn how much you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you very much for posting your experience and for letting me know how impressed you were with our staff, services and facilities. It is always gratifying to receive such praise. Your wonderful comments have not passed unnoticed, but very much appreciated and definitely it is conveyed to all our Management team. Once again thank you, looking forward to welcoming you again soon at the Sheraton Montazah Hotel.
Yours Sincerely,
Cairo, Egypt
Reviewed 15 March 2012

I Want to share my great experience at the one of the best hotel in all the world cause really they have amazing staff and i want to thank all the management team and reconfirm with them you are very lucky to have two employs like Ahmed Hady From the Reception and Ingy Zarif from the Guest Relation as i called them the day before my check in date to ask them to help me to celebrate my friend's occasion they did it more than perfect , Finally all the staff very friendly and the room location very nice ,,,for all people i recommend sheraton montazah

Dear Ms. Maha,
I would like to seize this opportunity to thank you for choosing the Sheraton Montazah Hotel for your stay in Alexandria and for positng your wonderful comments.

Your kind comments are greatly appreciated.

It was our pleasure to note how much you have enjoyed your stay with us, assuring you that all your comments have been conveyed to the concerned personnel mentioned in your note and to our Management team as well.

Once again thank you. We do look forward to welcoming you always at Your Sheraton Montazah Hotel.

Best Regards,
Lismore, Australia
Reviewed 10 March 2012

I would not rate this hotel 5Star.
On leaving the hotel we were asked what we would rate the hotel out of 10 - I asked the man if he wanted a rating from myself or my husband and he said either. My husband being a kind man said 8 and was asked why they lost 2 points - his answer - the shower head was broken and sprayed everywhere other than where you wanted it to- the bath plug did not fit the bath so could not use the bath.
My score of which I did not give would be a 4 - on entry to the hotel lobby the lifts are located directly infront of you with the reception desk to the left and a cafe come waiting area to the right.
People smoke as soon as they enter the hotel standing in front of lifts, with smoke wafting into lifts. Cafe area / waiting, meeting area is again a smokers haven - so to sit and enjoy a cup of coffee, tea you must enjoy smoke as well.
The reception area has the staff seated which is not welcoming as you approach the area and they always seem to be doing something other than welcoming you as you approach. The staff do say sorry a lot.
Lots of porters that attend to you if you have tipped previously but do not attend to you unless you acknowledge them first.
The door man very friendly.
The cafe staff took a long time to ask us if we wanted anything but were happy serving locals swiftly. Paying for your items took a long time as well with change being a problem.
We ended up going upstairs to the Caesars bar to talk with friends as there were lots of staff ready to welcome you, nobody else and NO SMOKERS in sight.
We ended up with a room with a view of the mediterranean but was too noisy and I would not recommend staying in a front room though I have no idea whether noise is any better in another room.
The room - bed needs updating, bathroom small and shower inadequate. Floor has been updated with vinyl planks but makes room cold.
Supplied with complimentary water the first day but never replaced.
Toiletries lovely.
Breakfast ok.
Laundry good.
Gym in poor location having to walk from lift at lobby level through guests and down flights of stairs ( dont mind the exercise though). Small gym but good equipment.
Also location was not great as it is at the end of corniche and having to travel in tour bus everyday took 2+ hours due to traffic.... would have been quicker to walk the corniche as we were not allowed by our travel company and ran out of time due to traffic.
My summary would be tired in need of renovation and good clean .
Sheraton really need to re evaluate all it's hotels and not forget about their one in Alexandria as I think they have.

Room Tip: ask for a quiet room
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
Montazah00438, General Manager at Sheraton Montazah Hotel, responded to this review, 15 March 2012
Dear Guest,
Many thanks for recently staying with us whilst visiting Alexandria and also for having taken the time to post your constructive comments and feedback on trip advisor.

Regret to learn that your stay with us was not up to your expectations. Kindly note that all comments noted have been taken into consideration, in the meantime conveyed to our Management team as well.

We do hope to have an opportunity to welcome you again in the near future where we do assure you that no effort shall be spared in order to make your stay with us more comfortable.

Once again thank you for your time.