All reviews local information welcoming drink large balcony sea view well equipped and spotlessly clean old town right direction late arrival highly recommend staying here hire car great apartment definitely recommend this place minute walk national park double room sherry host
Reviewed 17 April 2016

We arrived back from Apartments Petra this morning, and we had an amazing time. Ilana met us upon our arrival, offered us a welcome drink and showed us to our double room, our friends who travelled with us also had booked a double room, they were both quite adequate, however we asked if their was a bigger aparment so we could all have breakfast together etc. The next day we were able to move into a lovely apartment with a kitchenette, dining/lounge area, large balcony with 4 seats, bedroom and bathroom, it also had sea views. Illana was everything, she had numerous maps, and booklets on different sites in croatia, she would recommend places for us to eat, and give us lots of information on public transport etc. She also gave us a little home brew, which varied, but all were delicious. Illana couldn't do enough for us, she had book shelves if we wanted to change our books, she had hairdryers available to loan for free, she had beach towels, which we took advantage of. We had an amazing time in Croatia, it's a very beautiful country, and this is an excellent place to stay, about 140 metres to the beach, its a beautiful walk into Zadar, which took us about 1 1/2 hours the first time we went in, however Illana told us a short cut, which took us about 40 mins. The buses back were approx. £1 each, a taxi back ranged from £3-£4. There was lovely places to eat closeby which were very reasonable. We can't wait to go back next year.

Room Tip: The apartments are great, our double room was a little small
  • Stayed: April 2016, travelled with friends
Reviewed 9 April 2016

The hostess is amazing - we arrived fairly late in the evening and she was waiting for us. We were given a map and recommendations of what to do/where to eat and nothing was too much trouble for her. The rooms are extremely clean and have everything you could need. The location is a bit further out of main Zadar but we enjoyed the walk in, however the bus is available if you didn't want to walk. Overall we loved staying there, we would definitely return!

• Stayed: April 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Tina S
Reviewed 23 October 2015

Me and my boyfriend visited Croatia in October 2015.

We arrived at night, and Illeana was already waiting for us, she was so welcoming. She took in our suitcases and offered us a shot each of her home made cherry liquor, which she said is a tradition in her apartments. She took us up to her room, we had paid for the cheapest option which was just a basic small room with a bed, sofa bed, fridge and a small bathroom with shower. We were suprised to find a rose on the bed when we got into the room, which she said she had picked from her garden, she had also made us homemade chocolates and there was a bottle of wine for us left in the fridge. It was lovely! This was our first time staying in apartments, we always stay in hotels, so it was a big change for us. Our only regret was not paying for an apartment room. It rained for the first three days of our stay so we were literally bedroom bound for the whole time (thank god for the free wifi) which was a little claustrophobic as it was a small room, but this may be a slightly biased statement as like I said we are used to staying in a hotel with bars and other things to do. In the morning of our first night, Illeana gave us lots of local information and a map which was also really helpful! The location isnt the best, but it is only a 5-10 minute walk to a bus stop to catch a bus into Zadar, which we did every day ( that it wasn't raining) The only thing that I can complain about it how badly the coridoors echo, which kept me awake when anyone was downstairs. Other than that, it is a lovely place to stay and I cannot reccomment Illeana enough. We even bought her a bottle of wine at the end of our stay to say thank you for all of her help.

The surrounding area:
Eating out is so cheap, every meal we had was less than £30 for drinks and food.
Everyone in Zadar seems to smoke, and it is still legal to smoke inside, so this was really difficult for us on the days that it was raining, as every resturant and bar was filled with people smoking, which is why we stayed in our room the majoirty of the time when it was raining, also we were in the old town when it started raining, and literally every shop, bar and resturant closed down. I would not reccomend going in October just for this reason.

There are a lot of stray dogs about, there was actually some puppies that we saw that were stray and it broke my heart, I just wanted to take them home!

The bus to Zadar is really cheap, it worked out about £4 for the both of us return, and it only takes about ten minutes.

There is also a supermarket about ten minutes walk from the aparments which was really useful.

One of my favourite things in the Zadar was the Sea Organ, which i would definitely reccomend.

Again thank you so much Illeana!

Room Tip: We had the room 1B but I would suggest a bigger apartment room.
  • Stayed: October 2015, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Kara C
Reviewed 22 June 2015 via mobile

My friend and I stayed in appartment Petra for 3 nights. It is spacious, clean and extremely well equipped! The neighbourhood is so so, nothing special, but the host is really very nice and helpful: she welcomed us with homemade sherry, gave us all the necessary information and maps, and there is absolutely nothing in the apartment to complain about. Other then mosquitos:-) But the owner provides anti-mosquito electrical plug-ins. If you're not picky about location and view, this is absolutely a good place to stay!

Stayed: June 2015, travelled with friends
Reviewed 15 June 2015

4 of us stayed here at the end of April during our first trip to Croatia. After arriving late evening We were one of several groups arriving at the same time off the same flight. As has already been stated by many on here, Illeana is so very welcoming and friendly, as if you've known each other years! We stayed in the new apartments around the corner from the main building and it was like a show flat. If I didn't know better I'd say we were the first people to have ever stayed in it! It had everything two couples could need with two showers, a kitchen with hobs and a microwave as well as two balconies. Flat screen tv and a comfy sofa made for an even more homely atmosphere.
Zadar the place is beautiful, a very cheap ( about 3 pounds equivalent) taxi into town meant that our hire car stayed where it was each evening whilst we explored the town and its local beverages! The sea organ is a very unique and memorable focal point on the quayside. Prices can vary in town for food and drink but even an expensive (by local standards) evening in a highly rated restaurant - Bruschetta - still cost us less than 30 pounds each for 3 courses and lots of drinks.
Whilst there, if you do have a hire car be sure to visit the national parks nearby. Whilst a 2 hour drive may seem quite long, plitvice and its waterfalls are amongst the most stunning natural sight I've seen. Kuterevo bear sanctuary is a little further away and in the middle of nowhere but if you want to rescued bears in about a natural (and more importantly safe) a habitat as you can then please visit and please give a donation (it's free and nobody will hassle you into it) whilst you're there to help the volunteers keep a very important sanctuary running.
I'll go on to review the restaurants we visited separately but there are lots of lovely restaurants in the town and we'd have tried them all had we been there long enough.
I'm pretty sure I'll return to Croatia again, and if I go back to Zadar I wouldn't hesitate to go back to the most hospitable place you'll find - apartments Petra

Room Tip: Try and select the new apartments, although I've no doubt the main building is just as good
  • Stayed: April 2015, travelled as a couple