“Beautiful Find on The Piazza ”
Review of Cafe Royal

Cafe Royal
Ranked #248 of 421 Restaurants in Dubrovnik
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 1 November 2017 via mobile

We thoroughly enjoyed our meal here. The waiter was very courteous and even gave us the option of moving the tables more into the sunshine as it was a cool day. Our children asked for a fresh juice and he invited them into the cafe to make it themselves. It was very much appreciated as they got to participate which they enjoy doing. The bread for entree was absolutely delicious. My husband enjoyed the burger, which both tasted and looked amazing. My fish was extremely fresh and tasty and the chips was accompanied with a fresh homemade tomato sauce and cream yoghurt for the fish . My daughter loves truffles so her home made pasta with truffles was scrumptious - (her words). The waiter kindly reminded her that it was a strong tasting dish so it was nice of him to check in with her order before just delivering. He said it in a kind manner and was not at all derogatory to her. The other nice touch was my son being vegetarian I asked for a pasta dish to be done without the prawns and fresh tomato instead of their sundries ones . He could easily have said sorry order from the menu but instead he catered for my sons wishes and it was truly mouthwatering. What stood out was everything was fresh and homemade. It was expensive but flavours were amazing and service was great.

Reviewed 12 October 2017

Cafe Royal has the catbird location, with outdoor seating right on a medium size piazza inside the old city walls. Lovely outdoor seating under beautiful canvas canopies at night made for a romantic setting. I had their carpacchio, (99 Kuna, about $16US) -raw beef thinly sliced- with olive oil served with bread. Nice late night location before heading back to hotel. Ours was a very professional and pleasant waiter.

Reviewed 12 October 2017

After a few hours fighting the Dubrovnik Summer crowds and heat Cafe Royal was just what we needed for a chance to sit down, cool down and enjoy lunch.

Service was a little haphazard - good at the start but hard to attract the attention of waiters when we wanted the bill. But the grilled fish was very good, the indoor tables cool, the rest rooms in top condition and the prices good.

At night, or on a cooler day the tables in the square would have been brilliant, but on a scorching hot July day, we stayed inside and enjoyed the meal.

Reviewed 7 October 2017

We started at the cable cars which was closed due to high winds and walked down Old Town and then walked the wall completely around so by the time we were finish we needed a rest, a cappuccino and a place to sit. We picked Cafe Royal. I will agree some of the servers walk around with long unhappy faces, but the fresh squeezed orange juice was fabulous. The cappuccino's were perfect, the crema was the best and the coffee was too. The place offers WiFi as do other places and the bathrooms were clean. A good place to sit back and relax and enjoy a coffee even if the service is diabolical.

Reviewed 4 October 2017 via mobile

I stumbled upon this cafe looking for a place to relax that was not full of tour groups. I was very pleasantly surprised.

It was about 4 PM on a Monday in early October-- so while of course there were tourists, there was actually also Croatian being spoken at some tables. Maybe Croatian tourists, but nonetheless! I had a lovely view of the square from my outdoor table. My carpaccio was fabulous. The Campari soda was a generous shot over ice in a highball glass with a bottle of sparkling water on the side. In a word, this was a real cafe.

I saw some negative reviews of the service. Surprising to me. My waiter was a gentleman, a professional, and attentive as one would expect. I think Old Town is a mad house in the summer months and I bet service suffers all over as a result. I heard that some days in high summer there are 5 cruise ships in the harbor and 10,000 tourists enter the Old Town...

My recommendation-- visit Dubrovnik when all the European kids are back in school! And don't miss this classic cafe.