“Great carpaccio-- great service”
Review of Cafe Royal

Cafe Royal
Ranked #255 of 427 Restaurants in Dubrovnik
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 4 October 2017 via mobile

I stumbled upon this cafe looking for a place to relax that was not full of tour groups. I was very pleasantly surprised.

It was about 4 PM on a Monday in early October-- so while of course there were tourists, there was actually also Croatian being spoken at some tables. Maybe Croatian tourists, but nonetheless! I had a lovely view of the square from my outdoor table. My carpaccio was fabulous. The Campari soda was a generous shot over ice in a highball glass with a bottle of sparkling water on the side. In a word, this was a real cafe.

I saw some negative reviews of the service. Surprising to me. My waiter was a gentleman, a professional, and attentive as one would expect. I think Old Town is a mad house in the summer months and I bet service suffers all over as a result. I heard that some days in high summer there are 5 cruise ships in the harbor and 10,000 tourists enter the Old Town...

My recommendation-- visit Dubrovnik when all the European kids are back in school! And don't miss this classic cafe.

Reviewed 29 September 2017

I visited this restaurant last week with my daughter last week. A very disappointing choice for us mainly because of a frustrated, non hospitable and uncooperative waiter!
Especially so as we had changed our choice of eatery after seeing the hustle and bustle around this restaurant and decided to eat at Cafe Royal.

Firstly, I chose a table for 2, the waiter swiftly moved us saying something to the affect of 'why do you want to sit there, sit here'. He then went on to talk to us about the foods and we found his mannerism was not pleasant while he spoke but just laughed it off.

We ordered our food asking if we could have chilli flakes on our food to make it a bit spicy, the man proceeded to give us a telling off that why would we want that and we should just eat the food as it is and refused to add chilli flakes to our meal! Again, we laughed it off.

The starter of 'fish & chips' was actually quite nice; both, my daughter and I ordered different pasta dishes. My daughters was 20 Kuna's less in price and it was perfectly cooked.

Mine however was not. The pasta was under cooked but, I still tried 2/3 pieces of it thinking maybe its just my imagination and it will be ok. The more I chewed it, the more uncooked it felt and tasted and was also quite dry. Not enough sauce. It was NOT nice!

I explained to the waiter that the pasta seemed under cooked and he looked at it, took took a fork and pressed onto it a few times and said, 'no, its just aldente'. I said I know pasta should be aldente but this is not cooked. He first looked at me like he hated me then all of a sudden, just walked off huffing and puffing without warning with my dish before I could even say that all I wanted is for it to be cooked a bit more.

He then came stomping back saying that this is exactly how it should be and the chefs can do nothing. I apologised and said to him that I was sorry but I can't eat it the way it is. He just looked more and more angry and then almost shouted, 'what can I do then?? You wan't 'that''?? 'That' being the dish that my daughter had, By this time, we were feeling very uncomfortable talking to him so I just said yes that's fine as my daughters pasta was cooked perfectly so I decided at least I know that this will be fine.

He bought me the dish, I thanked him and at this point, he did try to smile! We finished our meal and asked for the bill. On checking the bill, my daughter and I realised we had been charged 2 kuna's here, 4 kunas there for what we couldn't understand. We also then saw he had charged me for my original dish rather than what I ate which was 20 Kunas more. On asking him, he blurted out its for the bread and service and what not.... 'and yes, you are paying for the dish you ordered first because I gave you the other dish free' (Isn't that what you are supposed to do when the customer can't bare to chew and swallow the food you served???)

We were just so fed up of him, his attitude and the entire experience that I just said ok lets just pay it and thank him.

The man was SO RUDE right from the start of us sitting down till we got up to go. Not only was he huffing and puffing throughout his whole service to us and other people too, as we walked away, my daughter noticed he was looking at us and talking under his breath clearly complaining to himself about us!!!

Absolutely terrible, would never go back there again and would not recommend it just because of the service we had. Very sad because 2/3 things we got were actually OK.
He just made everything bad :@

2  Thank Shazi X
Reviewed 27 September 2017 via mobile

I went to this restaurant with my mum as the menu had some good looking foods on it. When we sat down we ordered and the our waiter was quite rude from the start. We asked for chilli flakes on our food and he said we would ruin our meal if we get it like that, but the way he said it was a bit abrupt. My mum actually said it felt like he was telling her off. We then got our food and my mums pasta was a bit too aldente for her so she asked for it to be cooked more. The man was visibly very angry at this request. He went to the kitchen with the dish and said this is the way it's eaten and he won't cook it more. My mum very kindly apologized and said she cannot eat it so if it's possible she would like to eat my meal (which was nice). He walked off with the plate in a stomp without saying a word to her and when he walked past he was mumbling under his breath! He then bought her a new meal and my mum again very kindly thanked him. He became ok after she thanked him. However, when getting the bill there was something on the bill (the second item) that we didn't recognize so I asked him what it was, and again he very abruptly started talking and was like this is service charge and we have only charged u 4 kunas so you shouldn't be complaining because people usually charge 15. We weren't trying to get out of paying service charge! We were just asking what it was as it was the second item in the list, and in another language. He was awful and made us feel so uncomfortable. And when we were leaving he was watching us and mumbling something to himself. My meal was actually nice but I wouldn't recommend any one to ever go there coz of the worst service I've ever come across!

3  Thank milkshaikh
Reviewed 22 September 2017 via mobile

Situated in a lovely part of the Old Town, on a square, Caffe Royal seems to attract a lot of people. It's a great spot to stop for a coffee (the coffee they do is good). Or to grab a pint of Croatian very expensive beer (Ozujsko in shops for under a £1 cost there £5.50 for 0.5l !). But the worst I've ever seen was their team of waiters. Unwelcoming and rude. They ask what menu you would like to see - drink or food - prior to you sitting at the table. Then reject customers who want to stop for a drink (as they don't spend substantial amount of money as they would if they came for a meal), yet leaving their tables empty. Just the way the handle their customers is unpleasant and uncomfortable to watch and experience. We were spoken about in a rude way in Croatian by the waiters behind our backs about taking too long with our drinks (I understand Croatian). We asked for both menus deciding later to just have a drink. Again lovely spot but why would you fuel the business of people who behave like that? Zero respect, that's what I've seen.

2  Thank Atenaz
Reviewed 15 September 2017 via mobile

Wish we had have read reviews before eating here and paying over the odds for an average steak for two.
Service slow , waitress appeared to deliberately avoid eye contact to prevent them from having to serve us.
Nice location, food average service poor - prices way too high for the service and quality.