“A Great Find...Antigua, The House and Carlos!”
other travellers have booked this property
Garage and Patio
3rd Bedroom
One of the bathrooms
Patio
Stairs to Terrace
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Spanish first
Any
Rachel U
Washington, District of Columbia, District of Columbia, United States
“A Great Find...Antigua, The House and Carlos!”
Reviewed 21 September 2014 for a stay in August 2014

My husband, 26 year old daughter, 19 year old son and myself stayed at the house for two weeks in August. The house was perfect and had all the amenities (fully equipped kitchen, washer/dryer, easy internet access, 3 TVs, telephone, hair dryer, towels/linens, unlimited hot water, barbecue) for an extended stay. All rooms opened to the garden making the outdoor space as accommodating as the interior. There is also a rooftop terrace which we never really used since there was enough outdoor space on the first floor. The house was well decorated and comfortable. Sleeping was a joy since it was cool at night and blissfully quiet. The weather in Antigua was in the 70s during the day and low 60s at night year round.

Antigua is a beautiful oasis surrounded by volcanos. The house was close to everything (I am not a walker!) Just blocks to the markets, restaurants and the main square I enjoyed the large indoor market place which had fresh vegetables, fruit, meat and anything else you could imagine. The TukTuks were great when I had bags to carry back (more fun than an amusement park ride!). There are lots of small Guatemalan restaurants nearby and when we tired of Guatemalan food we went to Hector's Bistro for the best fillet mignon or the Luna de Miel for delicious crepes. My daughter was able to join a gym and find relatively hip coffee shop and bars within a few hour of arrival. While I tootled around the town my family went on several excursions (volcano treks, horse back riding, lakes) which were inexpensive and easily arranged through one of many small tour agencies. Both kids took Salsa lessons every day at a dance studio nearby the house. My favorite was the ice cream man with bells/music who came down our street every evening.

The best part of renting this property was Carlos and his wife Nancy! He made booking this property easy with one price and no hidden costs. He was extremely responsive with all communication and I was also able to talk to him on the phone (he has an US number) He arranged for all transportation to and from the airport accommodating all our schedules. Carlos and Nancy were available and help whenever we needed anything. But really the house and the town were easy to navigate on our own.

This house and Antigua were a great find and my only complaint is that we didn't stay longer. We were all getting into and enjoying the Guatemalan way of life. Muy tranquillo!

Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: The house, Antigua, Carlos
Liked least: Our stay was not long enough
Travelling group: Other
Recommended for:
Friends getaway People with disabilities
Older travelers Families with young children
Large groups People with pets
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
26 Sep 2014
Hi Patti, thanks for great review and your comments. I really appreciate them. I'm glad the house met your expectations and needs. I hope you and your family can come back some day. You are welcome anytime. Thanks for taking care of our house. Best wishes! Sincerely, Carlos
MarkAA
Thousand Oaks, CA
“Great place to stay! Way better (and cheaper) than a hotel.”
Reviewed 6 September 2014 for a stay in July 2014

My wife & I, together with two teenage girls, stayed in this house in July. The house was great - even better than it looks in the pictures. Plenty of room for 4 people - the girls had separate bedrooms. Everything was clean and worked. The kitchen has pots and pans and everything you need. Propane BBQ on the patio. The bathrooms are lovely - with good water pressure and plenty of hot water (not always true in Guatemala). Carlos is extremely helpful and hospitable - really above and beyond the call of duty. After a week, I feel I have a new friend in Guatemala. The cleaning ladies Carlos arranged for were exceptionally sweet and did a great job. The location is great: a quiet neighborhood, within easy (5 minutes?) walking distance of the large marketplace, and within 15 minutes walk of anything in Antigua. We didn't have a car, and it wasn't a problem.

Travelling group: Teenagers
11 Sep 2014
Hi Mark, thanks for the great comments. It was great to meet you and your family. Thanks for your help and work in Guatemala. I really appreciate it. I hope you can come back again soon. You'll be welcomed any time! Sincerely, Carlos
Oreolife
Saint Charles, Missouri
“The perfect home away from home!”
Reviewed 21 June 2014 for a stay in June 2014

Everything about this home was delightful! From its gorgeous open courtyard, spiral staircases, and rooftop patio to its close proximity to everything that we wanted to see, this was the perfect place for our family!

Travelling group: Extended Family
5kk2013
Richmond, Virginia
“A wonderful place with even more wonderful hosts”
Reviewed 15 December 2013 for a stay in December 2013
person found this review helpful

Our four-person family (including our 5- and 11-year-old children) stayed in Antigua for a week in December 2013. Carlos met us at the airport and drove us to the house, while giving us lots of helpful information about the house, Antigua, and Guatemala in general. He was incredibly attentive throughout our whole stay, checked on us multiple times to make sure we have everything we needed, even brought us some delicious freshly baked bread our first night there. He helped us organize a trip to the volcano Pacaya with his brother Jorge (who owns a tour agency and is also the nicest and most helpful guy, just like Carlos!). He also took us back to the airport at 3 a.m. It was great to know that if we run into any problems or have any question, we could always contact him regardless of the the time of the day, and he would do everything he could to help us out.

We loved the house - it had everything we needed, including a washer and dryer (very useful when having kids along), wifi, a beautiful rooftop terrace surrounded by tropical flowers, a peaceful courtyard to hang out in, plus a nice selection of DVDs that kids could watch in the evening. The location is great -a short walk into the center of the town, and, if the kids were tired after walking around all day, a few minute tuk-tuk ride back to the house.

Carlos provided us with several huge containers of bottled water that lasted us through out our stay and even scheduled a cleaning service mid-week.

In terms of things to do, especially for families, our trip to the volcano Pacaya was fascinating. Carlos's brother Jorge took us there in his very comfy shuttle van (1 1/2 hour ride), connected us with a local guide who took us up the volcano, then waited for us for several hours and took us back. We rode the horses up the trail to the volcano and walked back down. I was not sure if we could do it with our 5 year old, but it was no problem at all. The Museum of Chocolate in Antigua (which Carlos recommended to us) offers a 2-hour workshop on chocolate making, and both of our kids (as well as us) really enjoyed it, learned a lot, and made some chocolate to take home.

Overall, we hade a great stay in Antigua, and we strongly recommend the house -both for its amenities and for the hosts' graciousness and willingness to help. Thanks for everything, Carlos - we hope to be back soon!

Travelling group: Young Children
TN
Reviewed 22 October 2013 for a stay in September 2013

Value Rooms
Location Cleanliness
Check-in / front desk Service
Would I recommend this holiday rental to my best friend?
Recommended for:
A romantic getaway Older travelers
22 Oct 2013
Hi Cathy, I'm glad we were able to feel you welcomed in Antigua. I hope you can come back some day. We'll be happy to see you again. Thanks for taking care of our house! We really appreciate it! Best regards to you and your family!
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday home? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing