“uninterested, bad service ruined our experience”
Review of The Pearl

The Pearl
Ranked #36 of 144 Restaurants in Nantucket
Price range: US$ 40 - US$ 80
Cuisines: Asian, Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Unique Coastal Kitchen & Drinks. Awarded 'Best Seafood Restaurant' in New England - New England Travel & Life. Best of Award of Excellence Wine Spectator 2015. ZAGAT top table. Executive Chef-Owners, Angela & Seth Raynor have been recognized locally and nationally for culinary innovation, beautiful decor and warm hospitality. Wok Fried Lobster | Prime Porterhouse for 2 | BBQ Beef with sauce | Dinner nightly Mid May
Reviewed 15 September 2017

I had high hopes for Pearl as everyone recommended it, and everything on the menu looked excellent. Unfortunately the waiter kind of ruined things for us being completely uninterested. When we asked for recommendations "everything is good". Took quite a while to take drink and food orders, and the times he did pay attention to us he was looking over at other tables, not paying us any mind - a rude young man who was serving the tables to the left of the door as you walk in on the night of Sunday August 27th. I wasn't quite sure what to order the way that the menu was setup and so I asked his opinion and he didn't stop me from ordering what ended up being fried rice with pulled duck...he allowed me to order a side item as my entree? Was quite annoyed. The Korean buns were good, but one thing for sure is everything was extremely expensive - even by Nantucket prices - I think the lobster special was 48 or 58$ ?! Would maybe return on a quiet night in hopes of having decent service, but wouldn't risk it if you only have a few nights on your trip.

1  Thank Rob B
Angela R, Owner at The Pearl, responded to this reviewResponded 5 weeks ago

Thank you for sharing your experience, the details you provided allowed us to further mentor our team and elevate our hospitality. First of all I apologize on behalf of my team for the attitude and the lack of true hospitality. We are always striving to improve and support our guests experience thru providing them with details on dishes, from size to level of spice and complexity. Your experience does not reflect the efforts or energy our culinary team put forth on a daily basis.
I hope you will return and in the future please ask for me and I would love to personally discuss the menu with you and your guests. I am working nearly every evening.
Best wishes , Angela

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 13 September 2017

I return to the Pearl year after year and the experiencehas never disappointed. This is a high end, beautiful people scene with food and drinks to match. Like Nantucket, it is expensive but worth every penny. I love the passion fruit Martini and Wok Fried Lobster- it is nothing short of amazing. This is a hard reservation but the picky crowd here all wants to arrive 8:00-8:30. So even if you can't get a reservation, chances are there is a no show at 6:30 or spit in the bar for you.

Angela R, Owner at The Pearl, responded to this reviewResponded 5 weeks ago

Thank you so much for sharing!
We always encourage walk-ins and day of check-ins as guests plans may change with the weather! We strive to be consistent and inspired each and every season, for both our returning and first time guests. The Wok-fried Lobster and Passionfruit Martini remaining at the top of our guests all time favorites list!
Look forward to seeing you next season,
Many thanks and hope you have a wonderful winter,

Reviewed 2 September 2017 via mobile

We had a reservation for 6pm, and when we arrived we asked if we could have an open table in a corner. We were told we could not have that table because it was reserved for later and we might not be done in time. About two minutes later, a party without a reservation walked in and was seated at the same corner table that we were denied. They were told they had to be done by 7:45, but we were not given that option. (We were in fact done by 7:45.) I asked about this and was given a tepid apology by the hostess, but nothing was done to address the issue.

I think what actually happened was that they didn't want to have to turn away a walk in party - but this resulted in treating the walk ins better than a party who had reserved - not to mention that we were essentially lied to about the availability of the table. This is a bad approach, especially for an upscale restaurant in an area with a lot of frequent restaurant goers.

The food was very good, the decor is beautiful, and the service was OK.

1  Thank aheaton
Angela R, Owner at The Pearl, responded to this reviewResponded 5 weeks ago

Thank you for sharing your experience, I apologize fro the way my team handled the seating of table 3. I wish all of our tables could be corner tables. We strive to partner with all of our guests to accommodate seating preferences, standing reservations and special requests. In short it is an ever moving dynamic, the 7:45 guests is hard of hearing and dines with us weekly and will truly only sit at one specific table for these reasons. Our tables are reserved to allow two hours for parties of two. I agree my team should have explained in more detail the scenario and offered you the table to enjoy by partnering with you on the timing.
I hope you will join us in the future, I would love to say hello and welcome you in the manner we are known for .
Best Wishes,

Reviewed 26 August 2017

The food here is always good and the service is fine. It is just a poor value. We only ordered apps and the bill came to more than many of the other restaurants.

1  Thank mimiPrinceton_NJ
Reviewed 26 August 2017

Amazing food, service and atmosphere! Great cocktail menu and the lobster dish is a must! This restaurant is a must.

Thank you!!!
We are delighted you loved your experience!.
Cheers,