“A Perfect Complement to Its Environment”
Review of White Elephant

White Elephant
Ranked #6 of 14 Hotels in Nantucket
Boston
“A Perfect Complement to Its Environment”
Reviewed 1 June 2006

We spent Memorial Day weekend at the White Elephant. What a pleasant surprise! The rooms are meticulously maintained, the location is prime and the staff are eager to assist. There are two buildings to the hotel (in addition to a number of cottages). The original buiilding houses typical sized guestrooms as well as the hotel's restaurant, The Brant Point Grill. The new building is approximately 6 years old, houses the lobby and a beautiful library, and has a variety of large guestrooms and suites. Our one-bedroom suite was in the new building and had a private porch (almost every room in the new building has a porch).

While located at the edge of town, the environment is very much resort in style. The best places to relax are the chaise lounges in front of the new building (during the day) and the rockers in front of the old building (with a beverage in hand in the evening). As it is on the waterfront, the hotel even has its own small dock and marina, adding to the aura of the property.

The guestrooms have all the amenities you can imagine for a luxury hotel including Penhaligon's of London bath amenities, waffle-weave bathrobes, Henry Kloss stereos, 6 pillows on the bed, and full turndown service. However, the decor is distinctively Nantucket: paintings with oceanscapes, nautical blue and beige tones, and a ceiling fan to keep you cool in the evening (if you want to rough it without the A/C). There's even a choice of novels right on your nightstand for your reading pleasure, either in bed, out on your porch or out on the lawn.

We put the Concierge to the test requesting a route for our 11 mile training run. She asked for a bit of time, and when we returned, had two options...one with exact mileage calculated.

The service at the Brant Point Grill was laid back but attentative. Our server, Donna, conversed with us throughout the meal, personalizing our experience. The filet mignon was succulent, and the salmon (cooked Native American-style on cedar planks attached to a fire-cone grill) is phenomenal!

Our experience at the White Elephant (they even have their own, custom-designed Vineyard Vines tie print) far exceeded our expectation. We went to Nantucket on Saturday morning prepared for a quick weekend getaway and left on Monday afternoon feeling like we had just finished a week-long vacation!

• Stayed May 2006
24 Thank MightyMikeSeattle
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (115)
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 1 June 2006

If you are looking for a place that knows how to care for its customers this is NOT it.

I attempted to check in 15 minutes early and was told my room was not ready yet. Fair enough but 45 minutes later, after telling the front desk I would be sitting in the lobby 30 feet away, I had to go back and ask if my room was ready to which the reply was "I don’t know I will have someone check".

It was ready but upon opening the door I heard a the noise of a large motor. I didn’t think it would be a problem until I was unable to sleep, so at midnight I got dressed, went down to the front desk, and asked for another room. They gave me a choice of two rooms. I chose the one furthest from my existing room assuming it would be the least likely to have the motor noise. This turned out to be brilliant for two reasons.

First, there was no motor noise and second, it had the welcome package I was supposed to receive upon arrival in my room. When I told this to the front desk they checked something and told me this was the room I was supposed to have in the first place. So I guess ‘my’ room was not ready 45 minutes after check in time.

The issue with this room was that it was right above the service entrance so when I sat on the patio or looked out the patio door, it felt like I was on a surveillance watch.

Fast forward to three weeks after my stay when my credit card bill arrives with a surprise charge. It turns out that they didn’t charge me tax at checkout so they just decided to put it on my credit card without having the courtesy to contact me to let me know.

So I reiterate if you are looking for a place that knows how to care for its customers this is NOT it.

• Stayed April 2006, travelled on business