White Elephant
Good 3.5/5
Union Street Inn(Nantucket)
76 Main(Nantucket)
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsharbor view suitebedroom cottagechildren's beachthe main hotelbrandt pointcupcakesoff seasonhotel restaurantpre arrivalin townluxury hotelshort walkdinner reservationscalled the front deskbeautiful roomthe location is perfectjetties beach
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 2 June 2012

We had a wonderful stay at the White Elephant. Our room was beautiful and the staff was great! Would definitely recommend for a fabulous stay in Nantucket.

Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Rebecca B
WhiteElephant1, General Manager at White Elephant, responded to this reviewResponded 3 June 2012

Dear Rebecca B;

Thank you for posting your review! I am glad you had a wonderful time.

Reviewed 31 May 2012

My Fiance and I have stayed at The White Elephant three times over the last few years. It's been great every time. The location is perfect, as it's walking distance (a few blocks) to Nantucket Harbor area where many of the shops/restaurants are located. Our most recent stay May 28--30, 2012 was typically great. We stayed in a ground level room (rm 152), in the "busy" section with a little porch. Room was fantastic, lots of windows, views of the bay, nice porch to sit out on and a really comfortable room. The "busy" section they refer to on the website when making a reservation wasn't any issue for us. The room bordered the courtyard that has the restaurant, but it closes early and doesn't open early, so we didn't even notice.

The hotel and grounds are extremely well maintained. They pay attention to the details. The service is really top notch, very friendly. They actually called my home within 24hrs of making the reservation to see if they could book a tour, make dinner reservations, etc. This is the only hotel we've ever received a call from prior to our arrival. You can arrange for them to meet you at the ferry and shuttle you to the hotel, and they bring you back after your stay. They even kept our bags stored all day (after we checked out) until our evening ferry departed.

The hotel does have a small exercise room with a few treadmills, an elliptical, mats, a bench and some dumbbells. It did the trick. We didn't try the Spa b/c we always run out of time doing things on the island, but the Spa looked nice. The hotel does not have a pool, but there are a lot of nice beaches.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Johnny4Q

Dear Johnny4Q;

Thank you for your wonderful review! I am glad you had such a lovely time and perhaps next time you will have some time for the spa!

Sincerley,

Reviewed 26 May 2012

..as a frequent visitor to Nantucket and the White Elephant, I didn't think their level of friendly customer attentiveness could get any better but it did and I owe them a long overdue Thank you!
It was during Daffodil Festival weekend. On Saturday I had enjoyed the delicious food and libations hosted by the White Elephant at the Sconset Picnic with their antique cars as the backdrop. On Sunday morning, feeling the need to take a long walk, I headed west toward Madaket. And walk I did. I even took the adventurous off road route and after getting somewhat lost in the woods, ended up at the end of the island. I had made it all the way to Madaket. it was about 6-7miles, ...I had a cell phone and $5... I started to walk back and thought.... I am going to call the White Elephant and see if they will send their van to pick me up...I spoke to the woman at the front desk and explained that I had gotten somewhat lost and walked to Madaket. Her response was a deadpan-Why?? but then immediately offered to send the van right out. I told her I would be the woman sitting there rubbing my feet...
While theWhite Elephant typically offers in town shuttle service, this went above and beyond. And what I really appreciated upon being picked up was the spring water and fresh lavender towelettes. WOW!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank debmadaket

Dear debmadaket;

Thank you for your lovely review! I am glad that we were able to 'rescue' you from Madaket!

Sincerley,

Reviewed 22 May 2012

Gorgeous hotel and property. Massage at their spa with a female (I think her name was Kira) was one of the best ones I've had in my life!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank W0rldTraveller86

DearW0rldTraveller86;

Thank you for your lovely review. I am glad that you enjoyed the services of our spa!

Reviewed 22 May 2012

The White Elephant is just elegant enough to have everything in very good form. It is also laid back so you can really relax without the need for pretention. It's expensive - and the people who go there are wealthy - but you get the sense of old money and everyone is cordial. The hotel is small enough, and the staff well-trained so that you do feel like a guest; and that the staff comes to anticipate what you might want to see or do. The spa was very accommodating. The bay-facing suite was pleasant and well appointed, but this is no spectacular view. I wish, for the price, they had stocked some water and fruit in the room - remember - this hotel is on an Island reachable only by sea and air. Bring your own goodies with you. One of our favorites: the afternoon port and cheese in the library.

Room Tip: The bay view rooms are more costly but don't really afford a particularly lovely view. Save a few dollars.
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank candyland123

Dear Candyland 123;

Thank you for posting your reply on tripadvisor! We are so glad you enjoyed your stay with us!

In addition to the flavored water in the lobby, we offer complimentary bottled water in the cooler in the rooms as well as in our departure bags with the granola. Thank you for your suggestion!