“Milestone birthday weekend” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #6 of 13 Hotels in Nantucket
Connecticut
“Milestone birthday weekend”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2012

My boyfriend and I came to Nantucket to celebrate his milestone birthday so we wanted it to be special. I debated between the standard room in a "busy area" and the one bedroom cottage. I chose the cottage for the extra room and extra privacy. Unfortunately we got neither. The bathroom sink was the size of an airplane bathroom sink. There was absolutely no counter space to spread out cosmetics, etc. in the bathroom which is typically the first thing I do when I check into a hotel. My boyfriend is 6'4" tall and he was like a giraffe with his head bent every time he walked through a doorway. I did speak with a reservation staff prior to booking asking the pros and cons of room vs. cottage none of these issues were mentioned.

I will say the room was very clean and tastefully decorated and the king size bed was super comfortable. Also having a TV overhung in the bedroom was a real treat. The bathroom started out clean but with a sink that size, it was difficult to wash your hands, face or brush your teeth without splashing water on the floor and toilet so it always felt gross. We had to ask for the room to be cleaned but ironically did not have to ask for room service. Two nights in a row, there was knock on the door with room service we did not ask for. Did I say we opted for the cottage for privacy? When I intentionally did not answer the first knock, the staff member continued to knock more persistently 3 times until we answered the door. Awkward.

At check-in we were informed of all of the wonderful amenities including concierge service, free internet service and multiple daily newspapers which my boyfriend really looked forward to. We needed help accessing the internet but the staff was more than willing to help. In fact, they were more than willing to come to our room to bring ice, cups, and anything else. It started to feel like a tip was expected every time someone came to the room which sort of puts a damper on the service. Due to fog, the newspapers were not flown in that morning (not WE's fault) but was still a let-down.

Also at check-in we were given some discount coupons for the spa and dinner at Brant Point restaurant. However, even with the discount, the spa prices were high. As for the dinner voucher, please read the fine print. It does not include alcohol. To attempt to reach the $100 minimum we ordered 2 glasses of wine each and 2 dinner meals. Unless you order 3,000 calories each, it's difficult to eat $100 worth of food as a couple. Since the food alone didn't meet the $100 minimum, the coupon was not honored.

Then, as a nice gesture, the waiter brought a cupcake with a candle for my boyfriend’s birthday. The frosting was hard as rock, and as he dug in, it skidded out from under his spoon across the table. I tried the cake and it was beyond stale. While very thoughtful, I actually think the cupcake may have been pulled out of the fridge from summer 2011 season (it was 2012 season opening night of the restaurant).

The next morning, since our restaurant experience at the hotel wasn't the best, we decided to find a place in town for breakfast. We opted for Black Eyed Susan's known for its breakfast menu. Unfortunately it was not open. Nor were many restaurants during this Spring pre-season. After wandering from place to place and facing one closed door after the next, we decided to call the White Elephant concierge for a recommendation which was...Black Eyed Susan's. Sort of lost faith in the concierge's knowledge of the island at that point and got some tips from a local shop keeper instead.

All in all, we still had a great time, but all these little things added up and didn't leave the best impression. Will definitely do our homework if we come back.

Room Tip: If you are over 6 feet tall, do not stay in a cottage.
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank R0ta
WhiteElephant1, General Manager at White Elephant, responded to this review, 29 April 2012
Dear R0ta:

Thank you for posting your extensive review of the White Elephant. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed aspects of your stay. I appreciate your candor with regards to the areas we need to work on and it is nice to get this feedback just as we open, so we can address the areas in question.

Please let me know if you would like to tell me more about your stay, I can be reached at 508 638 3418 or via email, at blandt@niresorts.com!

Bettina Landt
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
Hyannis, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2012

My husband and I travelled to Nantucket in September 2011 for his birthday. We live on the Cape yet we LOVE any excuse to come to Nantucket and the White Elephant is one of the reasons why! We stayed in a three bedroom cottage with my sister and our one year old son. It was HUGE! There was plenty of room for the four of us plus more! I'm not surprised, but the White Elephant was very accommodating for children. We were provided a pack-n-play as well as baby shampoos and lotions (they also have strollers too but we brought our own and didn't need this service). Actually, they were SO accommodating that one of the girls in reservations found us a babysitter so we could have a special birthday dinner alone! My husband is in LOVE with this place to say the least. Our stay actually got even better as the women remember that I mentioned my husbands birthday and she arranged to have strawberries with fresh whipped cream and mimosa's delivered to our room the next morning!!! AWESOME! The customer service at this hotel is impeccable! Wether you are staying in a room or a cottage everyone is treated like royalty! This was the best gift I could have given my husband and they made it so easy and unforgettable. I know we will be back again for his birthday because after that trip no one else will ever live up to that! Thank you WE!

Room Tip: If your going with a group or family the cottages are a great way to go! Very private locations and...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank Mamenard
Dear Mamenard;

Thank you for posting such a lovely review. We do try to accommodate everyone, in particular our youngest guests!

Please let me know when you come back to stay with us!

United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2012

We had a really fabulous stay at the White Elephant. This is probably, our favourite hotel, not just because of its location, well appointed rooms and facilities but because of the very warm welcome that we received. The staff were very friendly and helpful and made us feel at home from the very beginning. The Spa was excellent and we had one of the best meals of the holiday in the restaurant.
We would recommend this hotel and certainly, will stay there again. Excellent in every way.

Room Tip: We had a room which overlooked the harbour which was excellent. It is worth choosing one of these ro...
2 Thank Montagnedereves
Dear Brit abroad;

Thank you for posting your review. It is so nice to hear that you enjoyed every aspect of your stay!

Fort Worth, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2012

This was our first trip to Nantucket. This hotel was outstanding in too many ways to count. I will focus however, on the personalized and attentive service. Highly recommended.

1 Thank rbdiaz
Dear rbdiaz;

Thank you for posting your review of the White Elephant. I am glad you enjoyed the service we provide! Please let me know when you come back to stay with us!

Portland, Maine
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2012

I stayed at the White Elephant in a one bedroom cottage. What a dream! So well appointed, the perfect amount of space, a very, very comfortable bed. Just perfect. There are lawn chairs right outside on a communal lawn which was so relaxing. A short walk to the main hotel for afternoon cheese and port and a short walk into town. It is truly the best place to stay on the island, 2 thumbs up!!!

Room Tip: I prefer the cottages to the main hotel, much quieter.
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank MaineDish
Dear MaineDish;

Thank you for posting such a nice review. I am glad you enjoyed yourselves! Please let me know when you come back to stay with us!