“Great location, welcoming stay”
Review of Amherst Inn

Amherst Inn
Ranked #2 of 12 Amherst B&B and Inns
Reviewed 30 April 2012

My husband and I stayed for three nights at the end of March. Our room (Napoleon's Room) on the second floor was spacious and comfortable and looked out on a quiet side yard. The private bathroom was tiny but modern and scrupulously clean, as was the whole house.

Breakfasts in the cheery dining room were buffet style with fresh fruit salad, french toast or pancakes, sausages, yogurt (including Chobani greek yogurt), cereal and more, and an intriguing array of flavored agave syrups. Ann, the warm and friendly innkeeper, volunteered to make dinner reservations for us and her recommendations (especially Bistro63 at Monkey Bar Grill) were spot on. She also made tea for us in the afternoons when we returned from our peregrinations. All in all it was a lovely, relaxing stay in a comfortable, welcoming environment. We will gladly return to enjoy the hospitality here.

Note that the entrance on the side of the inn is reached by flight of outdoor steps. This did not present a problem for us but might be a challenge for someone with limited mobility.

The inn's location is perfect - a few short blocks from Amherst College and the shops and restaurants of Amherst. The other Five College campuses are an easy drive. Don't miss Amherst College's excellent art museum, a short walk from the inn. If you go to Emily Dickinson's house, literally right across the street from the inn, I recommend taking the 90 minute Emily Dickinson's World tour, which includes the fascinating not-yet-restored Evergreen House.

Room Tip: Ivy Room was quiet and private but had limited WiFi reception, so we were moved to Napoleon's Ro...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank elsat
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 27 April 2012

I've stayed here twice, and both times had a lovely experience. Exquisitely beautiful rooms, fantastically comfortable bed, a great shower (amazing, considering the age of the house), and a real feeling of timeless peace and comfort. Every little detail is carefully chosen and perfect, and the hostess is very friendly and considerate. I would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 24 April 2012

The inn is charming, and certainly conveys the nineteenth-century period. One drawback, however, is the dust. Many surfaces, bathroom shelves, blinds, and, I'm afraid, the piles of puffy bedding, were thick with it. Two fans provided circulation, but the fact that storm windows were still in place on all but one window made it impossible to ventilate the room on this quite warm weekend.

One other somewhat off-putting feature. As I climbed into what I assumed were clean sheets, I confronted a couple of long brown hairs--and since my hair is short, knew I had not just shed them.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
6  Thank lydiamom94
Reviewed 20 April 2012

My daughter and I were looking at colleges in the Amherst area and used the Amherst In as our home base. It is in a great location for touring schools and is right across from Emily Dickinson's house (worth seeing, as we did between tours). The inn is beautiful, quiet and charming. The rooms were clean, the bed comfortable and the breakfast delicious. If my daughter goes to school in Amherst, I will be back!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 April 2012

My daughter and I stayed here in late March for one night in the midst of a madcap college visiting trip in which we visitied 8 colleges in 5 days. It was incredibly relaxing to be at the Inn, and we wanted to stay an extra night, but our plans didn't allow us to. The rooms are spacious and comfortable -- extremely comfortable beds with lots of cozy quilts and pillows -- and the setting is beautiful, across the street from the Emily Dickinson house. Breakfast was a delicious buffet of hot and cold items, and we enjoyed meeting fellow guests and talking with our hostess, as well. All of this for a very reasonable price! We will definitely return if my daughter ends up in a nearby college -- or even if not!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Amherst
2.0 km away
11.6 km away
Quality Inn & Suites
Quality Inn & Suites
#3 of 5 in Northampton

Been to Amherst Inn? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK