“Not up to Comfort Inn standards”

Comfort Inn Civic Center
Ranked #6 of 9 Hotels in Augusta
GreenLeadersBronze level
Mount Vernon, Maine
“Not up to Comfort Inn standards”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 February 2012

We belong to the Comfort Inn Choice Privledges program so we can earn free stays, but also so that we know the type of property we are booking. We've stayed at a variety of Comfort Inn properties over the past 15 years and have recently noticed that the quality is no longer consistent. That said, the Augusta, Maine property was a huge disappointment. It looks way better from the road than it is. Upon closer inspection, it appears that the hotel was simply a cheap build to begin with and the wear and tear is really showing. The first thing I noticed was the rot along the eaves, but the poor quality is apparent throughout the building in the resulting wear. We'll definitely take the time to write a note to the parent company, Choice Hotels, as it is frustrating to not know what your getting. In this case, we chose Comfort Inn over the newly renovated Quality Inn and paid $30 more a night to ensure a better experience (we haven't ever stayed at the Quality Inn so I can't compare beyond it's recent renovation.) This Comfort Inn decor was cheap and ugly, the room doors cheap plastic with the peep hole popping out of our room, and the hall carpets dingy brown. We were in the back wing so used the back door where rot was also apparent and the cock-eyed trash container remained un-emptied for our three day stay. We used the stairs to get to our second floor room and every time I noted the hollow sound of poorly secured plywood under the dirty carpet along with the trash that remained from day to day. We have stayed at other properties that missed the Comfort Inn standard but this one was really way off the mark, especially for the price. One of the nights the county sheriff and the local police department were actively patrolling the parking lot. As we exited, a patrol car came from each side and we were stopped and asked what room we were in. Made me wonder what kind of illegal activity they were looking for at this Comfort Inn. The picture of the lobby that appears with the TripAdvisor listing is by far the best part of the hotel and not at all representative. I wish I'd taken the time to snap a few reality shots.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
Antigonish , Nova Scotia, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 February 2012

The best part of this hotel is the staff. We have stayed at this hotel many times, experiencing many different staff. Each and everyone was more than helpful! Greeted us with a big Hello and friendly conversation. One time there was a few rooms of a sports team and were a bit noisy. We asked for a room change, not only did they move us gladly, we were upgraded to a larger room.

The rooms are very clean, breakfast is great, and even made our little dog comfortable with a little great from the hotel.

Room Tip: If you travel with a dog, they endeavor to put you on the first floor so it is easy to take your dog...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 February 2012

I stayed here 4 nights upon my arrival the hotel looked great very spacious. The front desk clerk a dark looking young man checked me in he was very friendly smiling and you could he enjoyed his job. On my way to my room another gentleman wearing a red sox hat smiled said good afternoon and explained where my room was. All staff were very plesant and friendly. My room was very clean smelled clean and looked great I have stayed at many hotels and this is far the best I have stayed at you can tell th staff enjoy their jobs and take pride in their work. I am really shocked when the guy in red socks hat asked me the next morning how my stay is going how I slept and so forth any problems feel free to let him or the front desk know very professional caring staff will always return to this hotel when I stay in Maine thank you for a wonderful visit!!!!!!!

• Stayed February 2012
Wallingford, Connecticut
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 January 2012

I have stayed here several times over the last couple of years. I have also stayed at other hotels in Augusta which gives me an oportunity to compare it with others.
First the location is just off the highway allowing easy access to other local towns and cities. A gas station/mini-market is immediately across the street. It also has a 99 Restaurant attached to the hotel which is a great conveinence for lunch/dinner or drinks. If you venture down the street you will get a mix of big box stores, restaurants, movie theatres, etc. The rooms are comfortable and clean, with a decent continental breakfast and pleasant service.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
East Lyem, Connecticut, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 January 2012

I've stayed in all the medium priced hotels in the Augusta area, this is by the property I will always go back to!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
kquirion, Front Office Manager at Comfort Inn Civic Center, responded to this review, 25 January 2012
Thank you for writing us a review regarding your recent stay! We appreciate the excellent comments about your stay and are glad that you enjoyed staying with us. Thank you for choosing to stay here, and we hope to see you again soon!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Augusta
3.9 km away
27.5 km away
Fireside Inn & Suites
Fireside Inn & Suites
#2 of 6 in Waterville

Been to Comfort Inn Civic Center? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK