“Mixed feelings”

Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Auburn
New York City, New York
“Mixed feelings”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2012

I love staying at Marriott's residence inn's but to be honest this wasn't my favorite Res. Inn experience. I can understand why people choose to stay here to be near the college or for business but for a vacation I think there are probably better options. There really isn't anything to do or see in or around Auburn and Lewiston. We stayed here because we wanted to stay in a quiet hotel away from the city. Well this location is anything but quiet. It is located very close to a very busy road and from early morning until 10pm you hear constant traffic noise and many many loud motorcycles with LOUD mufflers. I am not kidding. If you don't like continual loud motorcycles then stay elsewhere. It was not to be believed. The only good thing was that usually by 11pm the traffic died down. The hotel was fairly quiet at night except for one saturday night. A very loud group was partying in their car in the parking lot right under my window for 1 hour. I had to call the front desk. The management did take care of the problem within 10 minutes. The hotel was clean and the housekeeping staff was pretty good. Some of the staff is not very friendly. One man was pretty nasty to my husband at breakfast twice. The breakfast isn't as good as other res. inn's that I have been to. No fresh fruit, limited cereal selection. Nacho night looked pretty skimpy too. A wilted salad with a few nachos and cheese. There is a tiny mall across the street which looked empty. There is a wal-mart and a kohl's right down the road and many restaurants which include a steakhouse, ruby tuesday, fridays and buffalo wild wings. There is also a place called Heidi's brooklyn deli. I would recommend this place. They make fresh sandwiches, salads, and wraps to order. They have breakfast and great desserts. If you stay here and you want to see beautiful places in Maine you have to drive pretty far. There is a nice Lake which is close by so if you are coming here to use the lake I guess you would be happy. I chose this hotel because of the great reviews on trip advisor. Sorry to say that I can't give it more than an average rating.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank napagirl2
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2012

Booked this room at a super rate through Priceline and was worried it would live up to "discount" quality......I was so wrong! Beautiful accommodations, wonderful lobby area, nice pool and whirlpool - I could go on and on. Nicest Residence Inn I have ever stayed in and overall I couldn't be more impressed with the value!

• Stayed June 2012
1 Thank Nursemomtothree
NJ
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2012

We stayed here over Presidents Weekend and Thanksgiving last year. This past stay was our 5th time at his property. Always an awesome stay. Top notch management, spotless and great breakfast to start your day. This is the cream of the crop of Marriott franchises!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank LadySith
Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2012

This is a relatively new hotel and the rooms and facilities are very nice. There is a good sized indoor pool, whirpool, a tennis court and basketball hoop combo, a patio area, a BBQ etc. There is a wonderful breakfast buffet included in the room price. There were hot and cold options and a good variety. You could choose healthy options including hard boiled eggs, yogourt, hot and cold cereals, fruit, etc. They also had waffles, french toast, scrambled eggs, sausage patties, red potatoes etc. On Sunday they had biscuits and grits. The biscuits were great. All the rooms are suites. We had a full-sized fridge and microwave, two burners, dishwasher, toaster, 12-cup coffee maker, dishes, glasses, pots, cutting board, utensils etc.... all equipped and better than most we have been at. The staff are friendly. We asked for directions from the front desk and people were pleasant. The instructions were not 100% crisp though.... it is easier for them as locals to know where they are going and some of the instructions were not enough to help us see we would be getting to a fork in the road or a choice that needed to be made quickly on the highway etc. The hotel is in a good location....within walking distance of a nice super Wal-Mart... so if you wanted to get produce, meat, fish etc to use the kitchen in your suite, it is easy to do. Across the street are a few restaurants such as Ruby Tuesdays... so you do not need to move your car if you want to eat in a restaurant. One thing we noticed that was sad was the hotel was not full, and the restaurants and stores in the area were pretty empty (with the exception of Wal-Mart which was always busy). Times must be tough in this area. If you want to try a finer restaurant, Fish Bones in the Bates Mills complex was very nice. Ruby Tuesdays across from the hotel was offering 25% off the meal coupons.... we suggested they bring them to the hotel so that people checking in would know from the start they could get a discount. On the whole, I would recommend this hotel. If you are bringing a child to Bates college etc... this is a good location.

Room Tip: We were on the fourth floor and far from the elevators... right near the stairwell... and we loved t...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank cohenprof
Pinecrest, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2012

On the first night of a three night college tour of Maine, we arrived at midnight after driving in from Logan Airport, Boston. Tired, a bit cranky and not looking forward to an early morning wake up call to begin the college tour, we were greeted by Patrick at the front desk who could not have been nicer or more accommodating upon our late night arrival. I asked to confirm the AAA rate and then he inquired about the nature of our business in the L-A area. I said we were visiting Bates College and then he said he could give us the Bates rate which was substantially less than the AAA rate. What a terrific way to start a hotel stay! When making the reservation online I included a note that we would be arriving late and would like the sofa bed already made up and ready for our daughter to sleep. When we saw that this request was met and that there were extra feather pillows as requested, I decided that I would have to write a TripAdvisor review. I was impressed--someone actually read and complied with the "special requests" on the reservation! Additionally, the suite was so clean I would swear that we were the first guests to stay in it. Finally, when we went down for breakfast in the morning, my husband even commented that he had never seen the variety of breakfast items, both hot and cold, available at a "breakfast included" hotel. The staff person was busy keeping every item fresh and replenished. Unfortunately our plans only included one night at this hotel. I wish we had planned to stay longer!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Randibrt
Also consider these accommodations in or near Auburn
2.4 km away
16.7 km away
Hampton Inn Oxford
Hampton Inn Oxford
#1 of 1 in Oxford

Been to Residence Inn by Marriott Auburn? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK