“The only HI I've been this disappointed in...”

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Alexandria
Ranked #15 of 24 Hotels in Alexandria
Jackson, Mississippi
“The only HI I've been this disappointed in...”
Reviewed 31 July 2011

While in my hometown (of all places), we had to stay at a hotel so naturally we chose a Holiday Inn. It's our first choice when traveling. This hotel was horrible. It was not updated and the customer service was horrible. After the front desk staff finished visiting with the 10 or so friends who were hanging around, eating cookies, and smoking, she checked us in. The beds were not of usual HI quality, half the parking lot was roped off which made us have to carry our bags a great distance in the rain (another hotel guest didn't have access to any handicapped spaces so we helped him as well), the interior was not clean....it was a mess. This is a fairly new structure I believe, so I was a little surprised at its condition. I was going to speak to a manager upon our departure but no-one was available. We will NEVER stay at this Holiday Inn again; but we have had at least a hundred GOOD stays at Holiday Inns nationwide, so it still remains our favorite chain.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank jeanni30
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed 29 July 2011

I'm a Marriott customer by and large, but HI has really cleaned up nice over the last few years. So I use the chain as my fallback property when my primary chain isn't available.

Lots of parking, pool too.

Nice clean rooms.

Free breakfast.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Tech-trekker
Ohio
Reviewed 25 April 2011

Front desk person was not a bit friendly, most places I stay I'm immediately welcomed as a platnum or elite member of there chain. I was not acknowledged as such a member. The rate I was given was not affected after asking about a AAA or ARRP discount. The rate I thought was about $30 to $40 more than I expected to pay considering the location and the town. There was also going to be a guest reception in the lounge. The reception consisted of bud light poured from a rubber maid pitcher and a few soft drinks and some pretzels in a bowl on the tables. Again not what I expected or experienced in past stays with HIE. The final straw that broke the camel's back was the roache I killed in the bathroom-see picture. I would avoid this hotel until further notice.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank digger-ace

Travellers are raving about these Alexandria hotels

Saint Cloud, Minnesota
Reviewed 23 March 2011

After a visit to Rosedown Plantation (great) north of Baton Rouge we chose Alexandria as a one night stop on our turn north from our southern tour. I saw a billboard for this HIE took the exit and frontage road and located without a problem. Priority Club check in was a breeze. The room met our expectations clean, spacious etc. The only restaurant options without getting back on the freeway (not convenient) were three on the frontage road. On a Sunday night only one was open and was mediocre at best. At breakfast we encountered for the first time in all of the hotels we have stayed a make your own pancakes machine. Of course we had to try it and the results were actually pretty good. Other than that the breakfast options were standard HIE. The room rate at this hotel was the highest of the nine that we stayed at on this trip. About 25% above what we normally see at HIE. Next stop Hot Springs AR.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
Albuquerque
Reviewed 1 February 2011

We had a recent death in our family and we made last min reservations at the HEI Alexandra La. on our way to Fl. Because I have stayed at this hotel in the recent past for several days, I decided to book the Holiday Inn Express again. We booked a non-smoking two bed room for Jan 26 late arrival. When we checked in we were told all they had was a smoking king room. I wish they would have disclosed this when I made the reservation. My wife is allergic to smoke and she has suffered for three days after departing. Holiday Inn Express is one of the most expensive motels in Alexandra La. and should be more up front with its guest when reservations are made if they can not provide what is requested. I travel a lot on business to Ft. Polk and stay in Alexandra and the last 2 trips at the HIE. In Aug I paid $98.00 + tax and now I paid $139 + tax. I made an attempt to contact Mgt to express my frustration and was told the she was busy and could not take my call… Great customer relations skills.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple