“BEWARE!!! Horrible hotel!!! Look elsewhere for a hotel in Panama!!!”
Review of Hotel El Panama

Hotel El Panama
Ranked #51 of 115 Hotels in Panama City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 19 December 2011

My mother and family stayed in this hotel as part of a church group trip. On December 9th, my mother decided to go out to dinner and left her jewelry inside her hotel room and locked the door. She checked out the next day and noticed that the jewelry was stolen from INSIDE her hotel room while the door was locked. (Stolen items included two rings, a necklace, a bracelet and a foot cushion). I called and emailed the hotel to report what had happened. The person who answered the phone said to call back the next day and no one from the hotel ever answered my email. I know that there is likely nothing that can be done but the hotel didn't even bother to acknowledge my email or my concerns. Absolutely unexceptable and horrific customer service. I urge you to beware and don't stay at this hotel. There is a thief that has access to locked rooms likely someone from their own staff. My family and I travel all around the world and never, ever have we experienced something of this nature. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone. They obviously have no courtesy and don't care about their guests to even answer a concerned email or take a phone call when something isn't right.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
4  Thank Nadia V

Reviewed 17 December 2011

I spent several nights at the El Panama between June and October 2011.

CONSTRUCTION: ongoing. The lobby area looks great, but there is a lot of work going on all over the place.

ROOMS: initially loved the cabanas, but they were hard to get; we would book one, show up, and there would be none left. We ended up sticking with the newer rooms and they were very nice.

POOL: awesome pool with an awesome pool bar ..... if only the bar would be tended. Service at the pool is hard to come by; the pool bartender is rarely there.

FOOD: the sushi bar is okay. The morning breakfast buffet was fantastic. Did dinner one night out at Miraflores Locks and enjoyed the buffet.

SERVICE: hit or miss.

CASINO: decent.

We saw a lot of families stay at El Panama over those few months; most seemed to be spending time at the pool. I wouldn't personally come back here for vacation. As other reviews have stated, there were fewer working ladies at El Panama than at Veneto.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank HereComesTehBride
Reviewed 15 December 2011

Goods: Big rooms, close to every thing, very nice staff, sushi bar, way less prostitutes compare to Veneto, family hotel, pool is amazing, breakfast is served.

Bads: construction in the building and out, very noisy, i had bites the first night and had to change rooms (i don't know if its bed bugs or small ants but it creep the hell out of me), the rooms are very humid, prices are high.

You could stay there but just ask if the rooms are clear and air out first just incase of bed bugs or insects also humidity, ask for a room not facing the street but the pool, its more quiet. Eat outside the hotel its expensive there.
I always think that from my experience a nice small hotel is alway better than a big noisy one, if you can find a nice Small place like the Victorian hotel or an apartment for short term rent its good.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Fzenzin
Reviewed 1 December 2011

My first trip to Panama many, many moons ago found me at the El Panama before departing to the City of David with my Panamanian college roommate and his family. I those days the El Panama was "THE" hotel in the city. The rooms were huge and the service was without peer.

I spent one night there on this past trip and found that the hotel had been remodeled to current expectation levels. Something got lost in the translation as the old El Panama was not to be found. Yes, the pool and adjoining cabana were the same, the room sizes were the same, but, the mosaic fountain that was the center piece of the lobby has gone the way of the dinosaurs.

Room rates were a bit pricier that other similar properties, but, not totally out of whack. Nice staff. If you remember what it was like perhaps the facelift could have been less sever.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank HawaiiSportsman
Reviewed 26 November 2011

Our stay at Panama has not gone smoothly, and this was the nail in the coffin. We stayed 3 nights in the Hotel El Panama and after the first night my boyfriend began complaining of bites on his legs. The morning of our departure we found mites ALL over his body, in particular they looked like they had crawled up his leg and beyond… I pulled at least 10 off of him. We have pictures of the bites and bugs to document the incident.
We of course immediately told the hotel manager who at first seemed sympathetic and promised to refund our extra costs and provide a taxi to the airport. However when we checked out an hour later, they would only provide the taxi ($25 to the airport) and refused to refund any costs. These costs included:
1) $22 per night extra person charge (the original reservation apparently was only for 1 person and they charge for even 1 additional person)
2) Extra buffet breakfast (the room included a buffet breakfast BUT only for 1 person and the “extra person” charge does not cover an additional breakfast, so one of us had to pay $18 for buffet breakfast every morning)
We felt nickeled and dimed for every extra service at this “five-star” hotel, but the hotel provided only the most minimal compensation for HAVING BED BUGS in our room. Yes the room looked nice and was spacious and the pool area relaxing. However, way too many negatives: 1) very noisy from busy street traffic and morning bells of church next door through single-pane windows, 2) felt nickeled and dimed by extra charges, and lastly 3) BED BUGS and POOR CUSTOMER SERVICE in response to our complaints. Absolutely do NOT recommend.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business