So this unique French family find some land and within four years have it turned into a lovely and idiosyncratic combination of jungle & hotel. Starting with just fir trees, Sabine has added palms and blossoms that attract hummingbirds, butterflies and lizards alike. She's redesigned the house and added a pool and the cabins, which are quite delightful and fully equipped with fridge, safe and whatever else you might need to be comfortable. It's a fairly lengthy drive from the heart of the city and I was picked up by mother Sabine & son Max within an hour of the agreed time. The fee approximated with what you'd pay to be picked up from the airport. When we got to the property, I was introduced to the monkeys and the family just happened to be assisting a local vet with a baby squirrel who'd lost its' parents. Seeing the smallest monkey, Babou, playing with the little foundling was an animal lover's delight. I was already hooked and ready to relax into this 'other' world.
With hot water in the shower (wow, this IS Panama, after all - it's not always available) and a spacious mosquito netted double bed in your fantasy hut, you can wander between it and the family home in relaxed ease.
I slept wonderfully to be woken by a birder's fantasy chorus. I sat outside in my robe and watched wild monkeys play outside of Monkey Lodge and their delightful games were a lovely way to start decompressing. As I was the only guest, I was served brunch. Being a vegetarian caused a few problems, but Sabine did her best to accommodate me with toast, crepes & omelette. Really good au lait coffee was also much appreciated. As I'd already done most of the trips they offered, I decided just to unwind and chill. Incoming visitors were equally laid-back and the pool was a delightful magnet in the late afternoon when humidity was at its' worst.
I would not particularly recommend this as an excursion source (prices were a little high), and if you're a partier, you'll feel rather isolated if you don't have your own car and agenda, but for a little luxury and a break from backpacking, well... I felt in heaven. Not for those with animal allergies, but a true delight for the remainder of us.
I only met Fabrice briefly, but Sabine & Max were most friendly. Max is very mature for his age and helped me find my final destination with unflagging charm despite having an important rugby match in which to participate.
He's learning the hard way, business first.
While not expensive (it is more so when you add in the $30 each way for the drive - you're about half way between Colon & Panama City), this is not an option for those with a slim pocket book.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Monkey Lodge is an authentic paradise, located at 20 minutes from Panama City Center, and 10 minutes from the Panama Chanel and neighbor to Soberania National Park.Monkey Lodge is a Bed & Breakfast with four cabins with all the amenities and comfort (refrigerators with drinks, safety box, privet bathroom and air condition on three of them). Furthermore, one of our cabins is located inside the monkey habitat, therefore all monkey lovers will be in close contact with these friendly and funny animals.While in Monkey Lodge, if you want it, you could be as close to monkey life as your will ever dream to spend unforgettable moments, knowing each monkey's personality, and their lifestyle.We also have a magnificent rainforest tropical garden, with an unmatched vegetation full of a enormous variety of flowers and birds, all located nearby our beautiful pool where you can rest and refresh all surround of these amazing place.In order to wake up your senses, we serve a delicious food in front of the garden and poolMonkey Lodge is not only a Bed & Breakfast, we are a travel agency and truism operator, therefore we are completely qualified to arrange, guide and make you holiday and tour as an exclusively experience, and warranty you an unforgettable vacation . We offer different travel offers so you can choose the one or ones that match your requirement. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com and Booking.com so you can book your Monkey Lodge Panama reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Monkey Lodge Panama Hotel Panama City
- Monkey Lodge Panama Panama City