“Great hotel but...............” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #41 of 93 Hotels in Tirana
London, United Kingdom
“Great hotel but...............”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2008

I so want to give this hotel the lovely glittering review it deserves but we too were worried about the welfare of the animals, as described by a previous reviewer. While there we voiced our concerns and know that another guest has complained by email and referenced the last review on Trip Advisor - so hopefully the situation might get rectified, fingers crossed.

Apart from that it was great - comfy room, lovely staff, very friendly and funny, the hotel is fantastic value in terms of location and service and the contents of the mini-bar (water, some soft drinks and a big bar of chocolate) were included in the fee, which was a first! The staff were also fantastically helpful with our plans and showed us where to pick up furgons and organised a cab to take us to Montenegro the following day. Although not the hotel's fault the cab driver then drove off in the direction of the Macedonian border instead which we didn't realise for about an hour (but taking in some lovely mountain scenery along the way I might add) and then tried to charge us extra because it subsequently took longer to get to Montenegro - but he backed down almost immediately. On the off chance you're going to use the hotel to book any long distance cabs maybe get them to write everything down so there's no problems.

But unfortunately unless I knew the animal issues had been rectified I personally would struggle to stay there again.

• Stayed May 2008, travelled with friends
2 Thank M S
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
  • Turkish first
Santa Fe, NM
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2008

I stayed at the Villa Tafaj for work purposes. The reception is very friendly and the hotel itself is adequate and clean.

However, I moved to another hotel just after 2 days, having 4 more days remaining in Tirana. The reason for the departure was that the owner is keeping two large racoons in a tiny cage. These creatures are obviously depressed and bored as they constantly go back and forth in their cage--A clear sign of distress. I brought this up to the owner of the Villa and he did not seem to care and said he was waiting for them to get used to the hotel and then he would let them out. As much as I appreciate his interest in animals, I did not feel good supporting such poor treatment of animals. He needs to get these racoons a much larger cage or let them back into the wild where they belong!

By the way, I moved to the Tirana International which is a fine hotel but much more expensive. It has very little charm but is perfect for business. I have also stayed at the Rogner which is lovely and also more expensive. In my search for a new hotel I saw the Diplomat which was full and it looked very good. Lot's of charm and geared towards business people, but about a 15 minute walk from the center.

• Stayed April 2008, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank SantaFe_NMCat50
Damascus, Syria
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2007

I stayed here for just one night. The location is very good. Five minute walk from the center of the city. Additionally, if you need to arrange further travel, you have only a few blocks to walk to get to all of the travel agencies.

The hotel. Reception is very nice and on a scale of 1/10 for helpfulness I'd put it at a seven.

The villa the hotel is in is lovely. Italian architecture, very attractive.

My room was situated in the back and unfortunately I had only a view of the wall of another building about six feet away. That written, it's readily apparent that most of the rooms at Tafaj come with very good views - so ask for one when you make your reservation and I'm sure you'll be delighted.

My room was very clean. The bed was big and comfortable. The bathroom was nice with a very good shower and plenty space. Good towels, soap, and lighting.

The AC unit was new and worked beautifully. The TV had plenty of channels to choose from. There was also a mini bar - the contents of which are free - a couple of sodas, a bar of chocolate, and two bottles of water. A good perk.

Breakfast and the garden outside where you eat it completely make this place. The garden is wonderful. Guinea fowl roam about, there are caged parakeets, parrots, lovebirds and finches as well. There's a turtle on the loose, a rabbit and a dog too! No worries - the entire area is spotlessly clean and perfectly kept and the animals are clearly well cared for and loved by their owner. It was unbelievably delightful to eat breakfast amid all the bird chirping.

Speaking of breakfast, it was likewise spot on. Your choice of eggs, sausages, fresh breads and cheese/jams and of course juice and coffee. Very good.

Your money goes a very long way here. A very good place. Just be sure to ask for a room with a view of the garden or even street.

I recommend it.

• Liked — The garden, breakfast and location
  • Disliked — No internet
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Evelyn A
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2007

It was my first visit to Tirana (and Albania) and I intentionally sought out a hotel that would have the atmosphere of the place. This hotel met and exceeded this expectation. Further, as I surveyed other hotels while here I realised how lucky I was to have picked the one with local character, as the others I saw where generic and unimpressive.

The room was simple and adequate, the TV had a directory of circa 1,000 satellite channels; the difficulty was finding those with a signal and worth watching.

The restaurant and café was simple and the food adequate. The menu was extensive with local and foreign foods. Though frankly, there were much better places to eat in the vicinity.

The staff were incredibly friendly and helpful. I had reception organise a taxi to return to the airport, and the restaurant staff not knowing this quickly came to me when they saw me departing to make sure I wasn’t going to be ripped off by the driver. I was impressed.

The hotel is central and well located to the main square. I will definitely stay here again when I’m next in town.

• Liked — The staff were incredibly friendly and helpful.
  • Disliked — Difficulty of finding television of interest.
  • Stayed April 2007, travelled on business
5 Thank Finrep001
Trondheim, Norway
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2007

I stayed one night here, and had a great experience. Will absolutely stay here again, when in Tirana. The hotel is just off the main square, in a small side-street. The building is charming, my room had a big balcony, and there was no wall-to-wall carpeting on the floor, just nice wooden planks.

The people who worked there were friendly, my luggage was carried up one floor, and breakfast was a nice experience of its own: I sat in the patio on the backside, there were a lot of flowers and plants, and perhaps 15-20 bird cages hung in the patio, with birds of different kinds, singing and chirping. I loved it there. There is a breakfast menu with 6 or 7 choices.

When I left to the airport the next day, I used the taxi owned by the hotel, and it was a relief to have this security.

• Stayed April 2007, travelled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
6 Thank malebron