All reviews close to downtown oatmeal front desk staff free breakfast hampton inn microwave convenience
Reviewed 10 April 2013

Upon entering our room it was pitch black and every light switch I flipped didn’t work… after feeling my way across the room I found a lamp that worked. The room smelled so strong of smoke that my throat began to be irritated. Then bright and early the next morning around 7am or 8am we had housekeeping in the halls using walky-talkies at such a loud volume that it woke us up. There is no need to have the volume so loud on the housekeeping radios that from inside the room we can hear everything as if they were standing next to us. And then to top things off the bathrooms are equipped with toilet paper holders that don’t roll; is this really such a low budget hotel that they have to try to conserve toilet paper by using conservation holders? Rooms aren't worth much over $40 a night at the tops.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank madimorg
Reviewed 28 February 2013

Old tired hotel. No hot water, even after 20 minutes, was moved to another room the following day. Bathroom fixtures have not been replaced since the 70's-80's? Breakfast was adequate. Friendly staff and great location- 2 blocks from the Ohio-Kentucky bridge. Good eats across the street.

Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank DrDialtone2001
Reviewed 27 February 2013

I had recently stayed in Ashland on a business trip for my company. Though I had no say so in the matter I wasn't really looking forward to the stay based on the reviews.

When I arrived the staff was extremely friendly and I really appreciated frontdesk's help. Since they had restricted number of microwave and refrigerators and my company didn't request one. They were still nice to track one down for me. This showed me that the hotel cares about customer service.

As for the room it was a nice clean room that smelled fresh and the bed was comfortable after a long day's journey. I personally had no problem with hot water.

And the fitness center was a nice accessory for someone that had a long day and needed a stress reliever.

This was my first trip to Ashland and I liked how everything was accessible and within a 15 mile radius! I have to say this was a good trip and I look forward to coming back and staying at the Plaza!

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 25 February 2013

As the title mentions this hotel has extreme water issues on one end of the building ! For whatever reason the water one half of this hotel stays extremely cold when asked hotel staff will tell you to run the bathtub and sink on hot for fifteen minutes to try and get hot water to that end and this is not gauranteed. This hotel at one time was a really nice place with a bar , restaurant, room service, nice up to date fitness center and newspaper. These items are all things of the past. They do still have a fitness center however the machines may break at any time. And yes I said newspaper , they do not provide a newspaper any longer indicating to me that they are really trying to stretch a dollar in rediculous ways! On the plus side hotel staff is friendly and very helpful. This is a classic example it takes money to make money Renovation is a must!!

Room Tip: Do not choose a low number room unless you want a cold shower!!!
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Goose17
Reviewed 30 January 2013

I was in Ashland on business. I stayed at the Plaza hotel 1 night. Overall is was a comfortable stay. Nothing spectacular however. Bed and pillows were very comfortable and free wi-fi was nice. There was train track that ran close to hotel and 4-5 trains throughout the night woke me up. The showerhead was very old as were the fixtures. Water pressure and hot was was good.
The best part of the stay was across the street is a bar/grill called Fat Patty's with outstanding prices and the best burger I have had in many years.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business