After reading the reviews on this site I didn't not hesitate to make a booking. This was much to my disappointment. Where to I start
1. No one knows about this resort which makes it hard to get a taxi from the airport
2.The owner is a rip off
2.1 Charges you F$10 to get to the main road - one way (oh and this is per person not per ride like every other transport ie taxi.) He doesn't mention this when you get in the vehicle (making it seem that it is part of the service provided by the hotel. Only when you go to check out and clear the bill does he hit you with the costs for transfers to the main road or shops)
2.2 Tried to charge me the full rate for the room F$180 regardless of the fact that I got a very cheap rate online (cheaper than the backpacker rate on the resort website)
2.3 Regardless of the fact that my booking was for a Family villa with a double and single bed, the owner told insisted twice that I should have been in the cheaper backpacker accommodation and that he was doing me a favor letting me have the villa??? He also advised me that if it got busy, I would have to move to the backpacker accommodation.
2.4 After 2 frustrating days, I was not happy with the accommodation and I opted to check out after 3 days. The owner wanted to charge me for the full entire period I was supposed to be there, claiming we had a contract. (this was despite not having my booking upon arrival and my booking rate stating I had a minimum 2 night for this resort)
2.5 The owner tried to charge me for breakfast and dinner, despite my booking stating that the rate included these meals.
3 There are no activities at the resort
4 The resort does not organise any tours for its visitors. Every other hotel has a tour desk where you choose what you would like to get involved in and they call the companies for you and organise pick up. Despite multiple attempts to get assistance for activities I was booked for. The owner didn't seem concerned about any of my plans. This leads me to the next problem
5 There is minimal reception at the resort which makes contacting any tours you might have booked almost impossible.
6 The Owner is not very friendly and welcoming, I was very uncomfortable and walking on egg shells whenever he was there. ZERO customer service.
7 The walls are very thin in this place. I was awakened by the loud moaning noises of the couple having sex in the villa next to mine
8 No defined times for electricity. The generator is turned on when it gets dark and is switched off at 11pm. Therefore-
9 No air conditioning during the day, not even a fan.
10 This is not the resort to stay in if you plan on swimming or surfing. There is coral for meters and meters and you can walk out to the end of the reef as the water only gets to about waist deep all the way.
That said there was a few positive things about the place
1 Awesome views of the beach from the balcony, if you are in the villas
2 Quiet and very peaceful
3 The train tracks run right through the resort and in as much as I didn't see it, i was told it comes through 3 times a week and goes from the Shangri-La's Fijian to some other hotel to the north. You can hop on and go to other resorts to do other activities.
4 With the exception of one, all the staff were very friendly and tried to help as much as they could with the limitations they had to work with. They kept me entertained and if it wasn't for them and the owners wife, I would have probably left after 1 day.
5 The owners wife was very nice and went looking for a coconut so that the chef could cook us a traditional Fiji meal
6 The fact that there are not a lot of people staying here they personalise the meals to suit the occupants. If you want to have fish and chips, you get that, If you want a curry, you get that. Pretty cool and flexible.
All in all this is a place you only go to to get away from people, technology and the activities. If you are looking for a very quiet place to entertain yourself and just relax.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Namuka bay lagoon is more of a hideaway than a frilly resort it offers wellness in its serene and unpulluted surroundings, adventure in its limestone caves and historic archelogical sites and activities ranging from mountain biking,kayaking, horseriding, massage,meditation,snorkelling,hiking to nearby Fijian village or to nearby 5 star rssorts.The Namuka Bay lagoon is very safe for kids and it is the last part of the mainland which still has live coral.Namuka bay promises a healthy you, through our resorts gardens and corn fed pultry and meadow fresh milk and eggs. If you want to feel alive again try us..you wont be disapointed Namuka is Fiji's newly discovered paradise its not only for a new breed of eco-travellers but its for those who want to rejuvenate themselves and return to mother nature itself A unique blend of nature and adventure awaits you ...hidden amongst rolling hills of a tropical rainforest. Namuka Bay promises more than just a holiday. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA and HostelWorld so you can book your Namuka Bay Lagoon Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Namuka Bay Lagoon Hotel Sigatoka
- Namuka Bay Lagoon Resort Fiji/Coral Coast