All reviews smugglers cove ocean view free wifi air con stayed here for nights travel desk double room nadi town wailoaloa beach every evening bamboo backpackers island hopping free airport vinaka vakalevu yasawa islands close to the airport aggie
Reviewed 3 July 2018 via mobile

I was disappointed with their level of customer support and organisation. I was left waiting at the airport for nearly an hour while the staff stopped responding to emails. When I managed to call them, they told (lied) that someone is already there waiting. I double/triple checked with the airport staff, taxi operators, and later with the driver who eventually came after an hour that he never came to pick me in the first place.

I understand that mishaps happen, but lying and making a customer wait for an hour us plainly disrespectful.

Stayed: July 2018, travelled solo
the_fiji_islander, Guest Relations Manager at Tropic of Capricorn, responded to this reviewResponded 9 July 2018

Bula Bula,

Thanks for the feedback and apologies for the unfortunate first impression. We have staff permanently based at the international terminal to ensure no pickups are missed, and thus we are surprised by this feedback. As per our airport pickup confirmation email, we advise our guests, 'Our Pickup Team will be holding the 'Travellers Fiji' sign'.

Your accusation of lying is unfortunate and incorrect. Our team have honest and sincere intentions, but there seems to be an unusual communication breakdown and/or misinterpretation in this case. We advise caution when dealing with taxi drivers and airport sharks, as info provided can be misleading to encourage you to take their taxi or book a trip at their shark desk..

Due to insufficient details showing on tripadvisor, we are unable to identify your reservation and thus investigate the particulars herein. Any more details via email would be greatly appreciated, and we'll follow up accordingly.

We wish we could have done more to make your first impression more wonderful, we'll keep working hard to create great pickup plans, and we appreciate the opportunity to improve our guest experience.

Vinaka and happy travels,

Reviewed 25 June 2018

I was stoked to find a nice backpackers hostel by the beach so close to the airport. The staff were amazing and made me feel like family and took good care of me. I stayed 5 nights in a dorm room and one night in a double room. Both rooms were clean and the bathrooms and facilities were clean as well. I felt safe and in the company of good people at the hostel. The nightly kava circles were fun and a great way to meet other guests and locals, and I definitely recommend this spot for travelers on a budget and looking for a good experience while traveling.

• Stayed: June 2018, travelled solo
Reviewed 19 June 2018

I stayed here for a few days and was a little concerned about the mixed reviews but the staff's friendliness makes up for it. The room I was in was very clean, the hotel is a little run down but it looks like they are updating, not sure. The food is not the best and yes you will see frogs, and roaches and dogs and cats. The frogs come out at night if you are keen to see them don't chill there at night, As for dogs and cats they just wander around the beach mostly so that didn't not bother me at all. They were sweet. The location is close to the airport and town. You can easily get a bus right outside of the hotel for 2 FJD. The staff is lovely, get to know them and their stories they always have a smile on their face and are willing to help you. I would stay there again because of the friendliness of the staff, I do recommend the hotel get a little updated, new paint and update the activities room and it will be perfect!

Room Tip: rooms in the back of the hotel are quieter,
  • Stayed: June 2018, travelled solo
Reviewed 16 June 2018 via mobile

We checked in and were taken to our room which was ok for one night, I had holes and rips in my bed linen, the AC kept you cool if you stood in one spot but there was a mini fridge though so I could keep my water cold. The free WiFi doesn’t really work in the rooms, better to go to the lobby or the restaurant or WiFi room.
It is right on the beach however the beach is nothing to get too excited about, if you want a proper Fiji experience visit one of the Fiji islands where the beaches and ocean is gorgeous.
The restaurant is full of bugs, frogs and the odd cat would stroll in - I dared think what was in the kitchen. I had a margarita pizza which wasn’t great, very thin, hard and pretty tasteless.
It has two pools I believe, one of them didn’t look very appealing though. The staff are friendly and helpful though.
I’d stay here again if I had nowhere else to go.

Stayed: June 2018, travelled with friends
the_fiji_islander, Guest Relations Manager at Tropic of Capricorn, responded to this reviewResponded 19 June 2018

Bula Bula!

Thank you for the candid feedback and sincere apologies for the discomfort. We usually have complete bed linen, cool AC, wifi throughout, and a nice/clean/delicious kitchen, but it seems something has gone astray for your stay.. We are unable to find any reference to your reservation, so any further details via email would be greatly appreciated, and we'll follow up accordingly. In any case, your comments are well noted, and we wish we could have done more to make your stay more wonderful at the time..

Vinaka and happy travels,

Reviewed 10 June 2018 via mobile

I saw images of this hotel online and thought its really nice so i booked it for the night.

To my disappointment, the place looks worn out/old. Needs proper cleaning by the staff. The wi-fi room had sand in it the whole day no one bothered to clean it up. Even when we went out for breakfast, just sitting there and having breakfast. I could get a glimpse of fungi and mould on the other side of the door. Which made me lose my appetite.

Second of, as its near the beach, the temperature can drop low, making the place alot more cold at night. Suggesting if the beds/rooms could have blankets as optional put in the cupboards or on the beds, as i had only a thin sheet to cover myself with till morning.

Lastly, it would be really nice if room keeping/service before entering the room could at least "knock first and introduce themselves as room keeping" before opening the door. I felt my privacy was not respected.

All in all. It is a good place with a nice view and great staff.

Stayed: June 2018, travelled with friends
1  Thank jnjox12

Bula bula,

Thank you for the nice comments and apologies for the discomfort. We've shared your feedback with our housekeep&maintenance teams, and appreciate the opportunity to create improvement. In general, blankets are unnecessary in our tropical climate, but we keep a blanket stack ready at our front desk for any special requests. In any case, our team will work hard on the issues herein.

For any tourists with higher expectations for fabulous facilities and ample amenities, we can recommend to spend some extra $$ and choose elsewhere. But for travellers seeking a basic, low cost room by the beach, with simple island style hospitality, we recommend to choose tropic :)

Vinaka and best wishes,