Open today: 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM
Review Highlights
Top notch dive / scuba operation in Matamanoa, Fiji

I am not the scuba diver in the family, my partner is. But I do know that my partner Joe Patrick... read more

Reviewed 2 December 2015
lisadesanti
my experience

Reviewed 7 October 2015
Ashley f
Miami Springs, Florida

See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 7 October 2015

my husband and i went for our honey moon with walks on the sunset shores and beautiful diving, excellent honey moon attraction.

Reviewed 5 September 2015

My partner is a reasonably experienced diver and went diving with Viti water sports on the Captain Cook one day cruise to Tivua Island. The short story is;

Pros:
They were happy to work around my partners mobility issue and helped him gear up in the water.
They were quite friendly.
They didn't pressure me to dive when I felt uncomfortable with the quality of the gear.

Cons:
They misrepresented what you would get out of the dive in terms of qualification.
The operators were rushed us into the water.
The equipment used was old and faulty.
Some dangerous behaviour on behalf of the operators.
Hand signals were confused.
The dive site just wasn't that interesting.

For those who would like a bit more depth:
Based on the Captain Cook Website, we were under the impression that scuba diving wasn't offered on day cruises. On the way to the island one of the crew gave a quick presentation about the activities on offer, one of which was scuba diving. They mentioned that after the dive they would give you a PADI certificate that would be recognised anywhere in the world and allow you to dive anywhere in the world (they also said "unlike SSI" stating SSI is only recognised in the Australasia area). There were a couple of red flags in there. SSI stands for Scuba Schools International, which is actually recognised all over the world. The implication that the 'discover scuba' certificate would qualify you to do anything at all is just not true, and clearly used as a marketing ploy - there is no certified scuba school that can give you a qualification after a single dive.

At the island the operators were very rushed about getting us geared up and in the water, which made us feel a bit uncomfortable. The gear we had was rather old which wasn't a problem by itself, but having only been diving twice before it made me a little concerned. My concerns were when we got in the water and I discovered a significant leak coming from my BCD hose at the attachment. The dive masters solution to this was to detach the BCD hose, leaving me with only manual inflation for the BCD which, particularly for an inexperienced diver, isn't acceptable. There was also a small leak coming from the first stage, which the dive master casually dismissed as normal, which it was but, after his 'solution' to the BCD inflator hose fault, we had lost faith in him and I decided not to continue. To their credit they did not try to pressure me into diving after I said I was uncomfortable, which was the responsible thing to do.

Furthermore to their credit, my partner has a mobility issue and the operators were more than happy to work around that and help him put his gear on in the water, which other companies haven't in the past.

The dive site itself was poor as the reef around the island has suffered from tourism and is predominantly dead coral and rubbish.

My partner did end up diving, but found his gear to be faulty also. The depth gauge was almost completely opaque and he struggled to read the numbers or see where the dial was pointing. His buddy also had a leak in his BCD inflator hose, which he showed the dive master at about 5 meters underwater. The dive master proceeded to disconnect the BCD inflator hose whilst underwater, without consulting the diver first. This may be considered OK if it's your own BCD you're disconnecting and you feel you have already sorted out your buoyancy, but disconnecting someone else's without consulting them about it first is just dangerous. The dive master also mixed up hand signals at a few points, using the thumbs up signal to mean 'everything is ok' which was confusing as in PADI (which Viti Watersports are) thumbs up is supposed to mean 'let's go up/to the surface' which mean my partner began an ascent to the surface whilst the dive master and his buddy went off in opposite directions. About 30 minutes into the dive his air pressure gauge had not moved whilst his buddy (another experienced diver) had used 100 bar. Not ten minutes later when heading to the shore, his gauge dropped from 180 to 80 bar rapidly which seems to indicate the air gauge was faulty - which is exceptionally dangerous.

While in Fiji we also dived with 'Diveaway' on the Coral Coast who were excellent in every way. If you're considering diving with Viti on a cruise I would recommend you save your money and go diving with Diveaway on the Coral Coast instead.

2  Thank Lolly W
Reviewed 21 May 2015 via mobile

my 15 year old son did his discover scuba dive with Viti water sports on board a captain cook cruise. He really enjoyed it. Staff were professional and full Padi instruction and safety briefings were part of his introductory course. Would recommend these guys they were great.

Reviewed 13 October 2014

Really great guys at the dive shop on Matamanoa Island, Ben, Manny, Ronnie, Fabi and everyone else where really helpful and always looked out for us. Thanks so much. Go on as many tours with these guys as you can, they are great. The fishing, snorkeling, and island tours are amazing, and the scuba diving with Manny was breathtaking.

Reviewed 30 May 2014

Really great guys at the dive shop, Ben, Manny, Ronnie, Fabi and everyone else where really helpful and always looked out for us. Thanks so much. Go on as many tours with these guys as you can, they are great. The fishing, snorkelling, and island tours are amazing, and the scuba diving with Manny was breathtaking.