Open today: 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM

Great diving in Fiji

Reviewed 20 November 2015
AxelMagnet
Barcelona, Spain

See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 31 October 2016

Our experience was terrible. They don't take you near the wreck that they advertise. Equipment is poorly maintained and limited choice of sizes. They take you to 30ft then can't get you out the water quickly enough and then you'll still miss the buffet but someone will keep some leftovers for you. They didn't even have a spare boat so we dived off the jetty under the cruise ship. Engines still running, toilet paper / rubbish in the water, not very nice. Try asking for a refund! Major fight on your hands although eventually got one when we got Captain Cook Cruise and Hotel involved. ViTi Owner not interested and told us to complain all we want. The cruise and island were good, just don't dive with Viti.

Reviewed 2 December 2015

I am not the scuba diver in the family, my partner is. But I do know that my partner Joe Patrick loved the group at Viti Sports at Matamanoa, Fiji. Emma was at the helm every day and was awesome as his dive master. All the boys were excellent as well. Good service, safety first! Thank you! You brought him home every day safe and sound and loving the diving.

Reviewed 20 November 2015

We spent almost one week diving with Trev & the rest of the crew of Viti Sports and it was just amazing. We went around the reef in front of Matamanoa island and we may say that we spot more fishes than ever. Don't miss the Supermarket, it worths a visit!!

Reviewed 7 October 2015

my husband and i went for our honey moon with walks on the sunset shores and beautiful diving, excellent honey moon attraction.

Reviewed 5 September 2015

My partner is a reasonably experienced diver and went diving with Viti water sports on the Captain Cook one day cruise to Tivua Island. The short story is;

Pros:
They were happy to work around my partners mobility issue and helped him gear up in the water.
They were quite friendly.
They didn't pressure me to dive when I felt uncomfortable with the quality of the gear.

Cons:
They misrepresented what you would get out of the dive in terms of qualification.
The operators were rushed us into the water.
The equipment used was old and faulty.
Some dangerous behaviour on behalf of the operators.
Hand signals were confused.
The dive site just wasn't that interesting.

For those who would like a bit more depth:
Based on the Captain Cook Website, we were under the impression that scuba diving wasn't offered on day cruises. On the way to the island one of the crew gave a quick presentation about the activities on offer, one of which was scuba diving. They mentioned that after the dive they would give you a PADI certificate that would be recognised anywhere in the world and allow you to dive anywhere in the world (they also said "unlike SSI" stating SSI is only recognised in the Australasia area). There were a couple of red flags in there. SSI stands for Scuba Schools International, which is actually recognised all over the world. The implication that the 'discover scuba' certificate would qualify you to do anything at all is just not true, and clearly used as a marketing ploy - there is no certified scuba school that can give you a qualification after a single dive.

At the island the operators were very rushed about getting us geared up and in the water, which made us feel a bit uncomfortable. The gear we had was rather old which wasn't a problem by itself, but having only been diving twice before it made me a little concerned. My concerns were when we got in the water and I discovered a significant leak coming from my BCD hose at the attachment. The dive masters solution to this was to detach the BCD hose, leaving me with only manual inflation for the BCD which, particularly for an inexperienced diver, isn't acceptable. There was also a small leak coming from the first stage, which the dive master casually dismissed as normal, which it was but, after his 'solution' to the BCD inflator hose fault, we had lost faith in him and I decided not to continue. To their credit they did not try to pressure me into diving after I said I was uncomfortable, which was the responsible thing to do.

Furthermore to their credit, my partner has a mobility issue and the operators were more than happy to work around that and help him put his gear on in the water, which other companies haven't in the past.

The dive site itself was poor as the reef around the island has suffered from tourism and is predominantly dead coral and rubbish.

My partner did end up diving, but found his gear to be faulty also. The depth gauge was almost completely opaque and he struggled to read the numbers or see where the dial was pointing. His buddy also had a leak in his BCD inflator hose, which he showed the dive master at about 5 meters underwater. The dive master proceeded to disconnect the BCD inflator hose whilst underwater, without consulting the diver first. This may be considered OK if it's your own BCD you're disconnecting and you feel you have already sorted out your buoyancy, but disconnecting someone else's without consulting them about it first is just dangerous. The dive master also mixed up hand signals at a few points, using the thumbs up signal to mean 'everything is ok' which was confusing as in PADI (which Viti Watersports are) thumbs up is supposed to mean 'let's go up/to the surface' which mean my partner began an ascent to the surface whilst the dive master and his buddy went off in opposite directions. About 30 minutes into the dive his air pressure gauge had not moved whilst his buddy (another experienced diver) had used 100 bar. Not ten minutes later when heading to the shore, his gauge dropped from 180 to 80 bar rapidly which seems to indicate the air gauge was faulty - which is exceptionally dangerous.

While in Fiji we also dived with 'Diveaway' on the Coral Coast who were excellent in every way. If you're considering diving with Viti on a cruise I would recommend you save your money and go diving with Diveaway on the Coral Coast instead.

2  Thank Lolly W
Reviewed 21 May 2015 via mobile

my 15 year old son did his discover scuba dive with Viti water sports on board a captain cook cruise. He really enjoyed it. Staff were professional and full Padi instruction and safety briefings were part of his introductory course. Would recommend these guys they were great.

Reviewed 13 October 2014

Really great guys at the dive shop on Matamanoa Island, Ben, Manny, Ronnie, Fabi and everyone else where really helpful and always looked out for us. Thanks so much. Go on as many tours with these guys as you can, they are great. The fishing, snorkeling, and island tours are amazing, and the scuba diving with Manny was breathtaking.

Reviewed 30 May 2014

Really great guys at the dive shop, Ben, Manny, Ronnie, Fabi and everyone else where really helpful and always looked out for us. Thanks so much. Go on as many tours with these guys as you can, they are great. The fishing, snorkelling, and island tours are amazing, and the scuba diving with Manny was breathtaking.

Reviewed 14 October 2013

I was on a boat when one of the staff smashed my primary scuba regulator loading my dive equipment in the boat. I spent days and many emails trying to find someone to repair my regulator. I was frustrated because I was only 13 days into my 30 day vacation and I had lots of diving planned.

Mike from Viti water sports emailed me and told me to bring my reg by and he would look at it and if needed sell me a new one. He gave me his personal cell phone number. I called him and he gave me directions to the shop. Their shop is large and they service tanks and gear for other shops.

My reg was beyond repair and he sold me a new one. It wasn't some cheap throw away one but one of nice quality. The price was very reasonable particularly given it was Fiji and I couldn't find any other shops selling equipment.

I will definitely dive with Viti when I get back to Nadi it is a quality outfit. Thanks Mike, you saved my dive vacation.