“Day Hike to Pumamarca from Ollantaytambo”
Review of Pumamarca Ruins

Pumamarca Ruins
Book In Advance
More Info
US$ 587.00*
and up
Pumamarca Ruins Trek to Machu Picchu in 2 Days
Reviewed 23 April 2018

Pumamarca fits the bill for a first day hike in the Andes. After a gentle start there is a steep, short section up to a contour line that takes you most of the way to the ruins. The ruins are interesting in their mix of two periods and the "observatory" but not on par with the major sites. While you do not need a guide for this trip we travelled with Jose of Andean Soul. He was good company and helpful interpreting the site as well as a source of local plant and cultural knowledge.

All reviews
"up hill"
"entrance fee"
"horseback ride"

Reviewed 6 April 2018

The hike up/down to the ruins is simply wonderful. So peaceful and thought provoking. There are great architectural terraces, still being cultivated. Great views. Wonderful photo ops. No tourists. There is a gate if you travel by vehicle. Costs 10 soles. Take good walking shoes, keep hydrated. Just go and enjoy. You should find a few alpacas in the ruins. Also three lovely ladies selling artefacts. Given the rigours of reaching here, feel obligated to buy something.

1  Thank gastronaut_11
Reviewed 23 February 2018 via mobile

Simply beautiful, peaceful, great views, good conditions many tourists. Be prepared, bring water. Enjoy your day

Reviewed 1 February 2018

Though you are not required to, we hired a local guide for this climb. Marina was very patient and full of interesting information which made for a much more compelling visit to the ruins. It is quite a climb but the views both up and down are excellent.

1  Thank never2old2try
See more reviews
Reviewed 8 November 2017

I spent three days by myself in Ollantaytambo acclimating before joining a tour group to hike the Inca trail. This may sound hard to believe, but I loved this hike more than the Inca trail. I had some iffy directions that I'd found beforehand on the internet, and I saw less than a dozen people on this trail in the four hours in took me to hike from Olly to Pumamarca and back, so it was quite the adventure with some moments of uncertainty. If you are an experienced hiker and/or in good shape, and you don't go off-trail like I did, you should be able to do this 8.25 mile hike (I GPS'd it) in under four hours. It took me about 2.5 hours of mostly uphill to get there (and that included a 20 minute detour) and 1.5 hours back. For directions, just google "three great day hikes in Ollantaytambo by Ben Westwood." If you're looking for a bit more certainty, then read on to avoid my mistakes and check out the photos that I posted. The directions said look for an electrical pole numbered 2224 on the left and a path leading off the road up behind the adjacent house. There were several poles but none with that number on it, but you are looking for a house that's faded barn red colored, which I got to after 1.15 miles and 25 minutes into the hike. The next clarification is about 10 minutes later and quarter mile up the hill when you come to a blue archaelogical marker. You don't want to keep going straight uphill past the marker. You do want to make a sharp u-turn that veers hard to your right. After that, the trail is pretty fool-proof, except when you're not certain like me if you're even on the right path since I never found the numbered telephone pool. Another 1.5 miles into the hike (so a total of 3 miles at this point) and 50 minutes later, you will come to a clearing with small waterfalls. I made the mistake of not continuing to my right and 40-50 feet thru the clearing. Instead I saw what appeared to be a trail that veered straight up the terraced hill, and I followed that for about 10 minutes before realizing I must have made a mistake, turned back and got on the right trail. See my picture, don't make the same mistake and save yourself 25 minutes. From there, it's a straight shot the rest of the way to Pumamarca, although at one point, my trail was completely blocked by a bunch of wild horses, and then you'll have to make your way thru pastures with a bunch of bulls you'll want to steer clear of. Not as crazy as this might sound, and the payoff of the view from the ruins was incredible. The destination was cool, but so was the journey to get there, so do yourself a favor and hike to Pumamarca instead of taking a taxi!

2  Thank TedW67