“Spectacular scenery from these ruins”
Review of Pumamarca Ruins

Pumamarca Ruins
Book In Advance
More Info
US$ 587.00*
and up
Pumamarca Ruins Trek to Machu Picchu in 2 Days
Reviewed 14 August 2017 via mobile

Online descriptions on how to find the start of the trail up to Pumamarca were conflicting/confusing so we booked a local taxi which drove us to the top of the mountain where there is a parking lot. From there it's a short, steep walk up the hill to the ruins. The ruins itself are very interesting with a number of structures to explore, and are home to 4 alpacas. Near the top of the site there's a perfect, flat rock where we sat and had a snack. The best thing about Pumamarca is the incredible views of the Sacred Valley. It cost 10 soles per person and the toll booth is at the foot of the mountain, so not sure how they collect this when you hike up. The drive up the mountain is a long, winding single-lane path and the entire drive took about 1/2 hour from the train station in Ollantaytambo.

Hiking down from Pumamarca is relatively easy as the path is in good condition and there is only one path down. When facing downhill, the path starts from the right side of the parking lot. If in doubt you can ask locals. The views throughout the hike are absolutely incredible. It took us about an hour and 40 minutes to walk down but we stopped to take lots of photos. You definitely need hiking boots - parts of the path are very rocky and narrow. At one point the path is a riverbed. The trail starts/ends in the tiny village of Munaypata. See pics showing the start of the trail if you plan to hike up.

We walked from Munaypata to Ollantaytambo which is about a 1/2 hour walk down a very dusty dirt road. I'm glad we only did it one direction - though the views on the walk were beautiful, our lungs were filled with dirt every time a car passed. If hiking up to Pumamarca, I'd suggest getting dropped off at Munaypata.

To get to the dirt road take Carretera Occobamba - there's a place called Mama Simona just before a bridge where the paved road becomes a dirt one. See pics.

2  Thank MandA2012
"up hill"
"horseback ride"
"hiking boots"

Reviewed 12 August 2017

Our party of 4 (3 middle-aged siblings and 1 teenager) hiked to the ruins from the start of the trail with a guide. I am not sure how we would have found it otherwise. It was a beautiful hike, full of local color (farms, animals, residents) and lovely views. The ruins themselves were interesting, and there were only 2 other people there when we arrived. The solitude made it easy to contemplate its past history.

For those reviewers who note that this is an easy or moderate hike, my hat is off to you. I am in pretty good shape, and if Pumamarca were at an altitude I am accustomed to, perhaps it would be easy/moderate, but this was challenging! It was only our 2nd day in Peru, and we needed to rest every 100 yards or so. Still, it was definitely worthwhile.

2  Thank nycshine1
Reviewed 30 July 2017 via mobile

I wanted to hike, yet due to time constraint, I took a taxi. Scenery in the taxi was magnificent, and I can only imagine how much better it would have been if I hiked.

I paid 10 Soles entrance fee. One of the postings say it was free. I enter in taxi, and that is why I had to pay? The taxi was 50 Soles for both ways, and I had one hour in Pumamarca while the driver waited.

Although I did not walked, I planned out the hiking route, and the google map has Camino a Pumamarca path on satellite view. I hope this helps since people are confused on how to get there

1  Thank YS K
Reviewed 24 July 2017

Not far from Ollantaytambo and off the beaten track, this was a terrific, well maintained ruin high on a hill overlooking a beautiful valley. High mountain vista's surrounded the ruin. We had the location to ourselves for the entire time we were there, able to view the ruins at our leisure. We sat on a large rock, listening to a roaring river below, watching the clouds roll by all the while gazing at the ruins. When we were done, we hiked down the valley on old Incan trails, following a stream for part of the way, passing farm houses that are still in use. Incan terraces, some spectacularly large, dotted the valley throughout the hike. Simply speaking, this was a sublime experience, really putting us in a mystical state of mind. It was a 3 or 4 mile hike back to Ollantaytambo and back to standard tourist life.