“Haunted by the Ghost of Colonialism”

Country Club Lima Hotel
Ranked #13 of 224 Hotels in Lima
Asia
“Haunted by the Ghost of Colonialism”
Reviewed 27 December 2011

This is one of those grand ole hotel found in most cities that have been colonized by Europeans. It was apparently part of THE country club in Lima and the current club is adjacent to it. Lawns are perfectly manicured; marble floor is highly polished; cutlery is silver; tablecloth is white. It feels very much like a set from Miami-Vice or CSI Miami with a restaurant that has patio seating: there are lot of oldish business suits sitting around the place anytime of the day or night. There must have been a lot of deals cut in this place.

I stayed there for a total of four days spread over two occasions. It was an interesting contrast, details below.

The good parts of the hotel: it is a large place so you can expect a full plethora of services. The restaurant is good if pricey. Check-in was especially classy. You sit down and you are asked if you want champagne. The first time I checked in, I was accompanied by my guide and I had flown in straight from a business meeting in Bangkok. So I wore a suit. I got offered champagne twice.

The second time, I flew in from Cusco after seeing Machu Picchu and I was wearing a casual jacket. This time, no offers of champagne. So I am inclined to think that the ghost of colonialism still haunts the place.

The first room I had was on the left wing (as you stand in front of the hotel). It was large and not very well laid out. It could have used a bench at the end of the king bed so that the room would not have looked so empty.

There were two bizarre things. First, the LCD TV was right in front of the desk. That means, either you watch TV or you work. And if you are a couple …?

Second, the draft from the airvent on top of my side of the bed was so strong that even at the lowest speed, I could feel the draft. I had to sleep practically in the centre of the bed.

The bathroom was pleasant with the only snags being the absence of slippers and toothbrushes. A pleasant touch was that lotion was L’Occitane.

Breakfast was the same everyday for the four days, which suggests to me that they were either unimaginative or did not expect guests to linger long.

My second stay was on the right wing. It was a smaller room although the bathroom was the same size with a Jacuzzi bathtub and a shower. Although smaller, it was more sensibly laid out with the TV at the minibar cupboard away from the workdesk.

The snag with this room was that at 6 am we were awakened by the sound of furniture being dragged in the room above us. At 6.30 pm, while resting before dinner we heard the same sound. So I called the front desk, who sent up a TV repairman. I was annoyed, told him to buzz off and called the General Manager this time. It was 7 pm then and a lady answered: “Sir, you are on the top floor. There is no room above you.”

She suggested that the sound may have come from the airconditioning and offered to move us from our room—a nuisance as we were all nicely ensconced. But my wife was sufficiently creeped out and agreed to move.

This time we moved to the ground floor. This room was longish and even better designed with the bed and TV at one end and the sitting area and workdesk at the end of the room. This end opened up to an enclosed patio (see photo) although a kid climbing the garden furniture in the club could look in.

Would we stay here the next time we visit Lima? Well, there are two other places in Lima I would like to check out. One is in the old downtown area, which is wonderful for walking around. I might explore that. Gran Hotel Bolivar would be a place I’d look at.

The other is the newer area overlooking the sea with a walking/jogging trail between the road and the sea. It looked very pleasant. This is where Hyatt and Marriott hotels are.

What I intensely dislike about Country Club was the sense of being uppity. I may be taking it too personally but I cannot fathom why I was offered champagne the first time and not the second time. I despise people who judge people by their appearance. (Ironic because my spiffy-looking suit was a US$40 thing from Vietnam and my scruffy-looking jacket was a Hugo Boss bought at Zurich Airport because of a sudden snow storm.) For this reason alone, I don't think I will return to CC. If you have to be in the area, there is a Starwood hotel Libertador next door and Delfines Hotel & Casino right opposite.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Panguin
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
Reviewed 25 December 2011

We booked in US$ on the website, but the hotel actually requires payment in Peruvian Soles at an extortionate exchange rate (2.95, 8% above the 2.73 available at the bank) unless payment is made in cash (not a common payment method given the prices). They also charge 10% service on the room charge. So take whatever you think you're paying and add 18%.

The exchange rate sleight of hand soured our view, although they did adjust the rate down to 2.8 after we complained. Otherwise, the hotel is very good, although note it is a business hotel, so service is professional but nothing compared to the extraordinary service we encountered at other hotels in Peru (our other two hotels were both Inkaterra).

• Stayed December 2011
London
Reviewed 23 December 2011

The hotel looks like an old country club and seems to be one of the few places with character and greenery around. It is smart, and feels like a top international hotel when you walk around e.g. juice/ sparkling wine to drink while you check-in, very smartly dressed staff. Service was generally of a high standard, especially for Peru.
Americans will feel happy in the rooms as the are huge; I felt a little lost. Breakfast was very good (except the coffee which was terrible) and they had plenty of super fresh fruit.
On the downside somehow it felt a little soulless, and it was a little noisy with partying in the evening.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
New York City, New York
Reviewed 2 December 2011

This Hotel, beautiful and elegant, is considered, by the local wealthy people, a "Country Club" Hotel.
It means that, they come (already high in alcohol” for their “nightcap” and, normally, they go forward until get “stony drunk”.
Of course, sometime it is good to get relaxed but a bunch of "High-end Limenos " overpass this condition.
If you come for business a family or just couple vacation, just retire yourself before 11:00 p.m. and you will be freed of a very uncomfortable situations.

On the other side, the "Perroquet" Restaurant is perfect in quality and price, but do not look for fresh, due to quality procedures, everything is frozen.

Room Tip: Take a room near the swimming pool
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
Boston
Reviewed 3 November 2011

In the course of one week, I ended up staying at three different rooms, which makes me uniquely qualified to review this hotel. The first room I stayed at was a double room on the second floor. It was sunny and over looked the courtyard area. The next room I stayed at was on the third floor, in the front of the hotel, with a balcony that over looked the front yard of the hotel. The final room I stayed at was a governor class suite (I think) and had patio area. The distinction here is that it was more enclosed and not as open as the balcony in the room I had stayed in prior to this one. The view was not that good, but it did come with the L'occitane toiletries. Of course, you could always bring your own L'occitane toiletries and save yourself the $50/night or whatever the price difference was. I also saw another double bedroom located on the ground level, and this was not as nice as the one on the 2nd floor because it had substantially less natural light.

The lobby of the hotel is very nicely decorated, as is their dining room. I wish they had more variety in their dinner menu. I got very tired of having lomo saltado for lunch and dinner, but I am a picky eater. I would've loved to have seen some pastas on the menu... or dare I say a pizza. I know, I'm terrible American who likes their comfort foods. I didn't really care for their burger too much.

I did appreciate the small assortment of shops conveniently located on the hotel property. They had a convenience store, two jewelery stores, a men's silk tie shop, and a few other things I forget.

One draw back to this hotel is the taxi drivers do not seem to know it, so you have to tell them you want to go to the Hotel Delfines, which is across the street, or the embajada china which is also near the Country Club. If you stay here on a weekend, be prepared to be innundated with brides taking their wedding pictures on the premises, and receptions being held here. I think on Saturday I counted no less than three brides.

The laundry service here was great; things came back to me in a timely fashion and they even steamed my evening gown for me free of charge. The only thing I can complain about is that they charged me $30 for breakfast when it was supposed to included in the price of my stay, and was included every single day except for one. The woman at the check out did speak English, but not well enough for me to sort out that charge, or maybe she was just pretending not to know what I was trying to telling her. That did annoy me. I was also annoyed that I asked for the hotel car service to pick me up at a certain time and place, and that I didn't see them when I went to look for them. I have no idea what happened there and had to hail a cab off the street. In general, the hotel cabs cost 3x as much as a regular cab, and I don't think they're worth it unless you're traveling with a lot of valuables. They still got lost, and couldn't find addresses just like every other regular cabbie. You would think for 3x the price they'd come equipped with GPS, but they dont.

Room Tip: I'd probably try to stay on the second floor or higher so you can get more sunlight. They do ha...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
Luis G, General Manager at Country Club Lima Hotel, responded to this review, 21 November 2011
Dear Guest,
We appreciate your precious time and for sharing your comments with the members of Trip Advisor.
We are pleased that you enjoyed our lobby and the Perroquet Restaurant, one of the best Restaurants in Lima. Any suggestions in our menu is very welcome.
Please let us know your days of your staying and complete name by mail to give you your bill detailed.
We look forward to welcoming your back soon.
Luis Gomez