“Real customer service!”
Review of Piccola Locanda

Piccola Locanda
Ranked #39 of 498 Speciality Lodging in Cusco
Reviewed 13 January 2015

I can’t recommend this place enough. Nice rooms, consistent hot water, and great common areas. Cusco in general tends to be expensive, so I think this is a good value for your money although it's more than a basic hostel. The staff was really helpful and promptly took care of any needs. It is run by a family and helps fund a school. There was a mistake with the online reservation, but they took responsibility and found us a place and got our cab. I’ve never seen this kind of customer service in Peru! It was great. Really enjoyable place to be.

Room Tip: Rooms in the back (away from the street) are quieter
  • Stayed: December 2014, travelled with friends
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 11 January 2015

I stayed here in February of 2007, with an aattractive Peruvian of questionable sanity, and reputation, her father, and an NYC buddy of mine. I really liked this place. The owners were young parents, French and Peruvian, and the location was in a good spot, overlooking the main town square, with EZ access to taxis if you decided not to walk. A restaurant was just beginning to take shape. The views from the roof were exceptional, and the rooms were very small but comfortable. I recommend this place to anyone I know going to Cusco. Watch out for the Peruvian woman though, as they are gold diggers, enjoy them, but DON'T bring them home or marry them. LOL. Please, believe my wisdom on this on.

Room Tip: Get a room away from the alley and closer to the center of the building...if you are a light sleeper...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 27 September 2014

I switch from Hostal Recoleta because I wanted a place that was closer to the main square. Huge mistake. This place is closer to the square but located up a massively steep hill... so steep that even for this in-shape reviewer it left me winded every time. And this steep hill also happens to be the bar/club street of Cusco so don't expect quiet on the weekend. The room I had was decent, but it was 85 soles (the cheapest) and didn't even come with a private bathroom. The part that really irked me was the breakfast. The person 2 reviews below me is completely mental... the breakfast is a joke. One pitcher of fruit juice, hot water, a loaf of white bread, some cold cuts, and that's it. No hot food, fresh fruit, or anything prepared specially for the guests like in any other hostel this price. I had to go to a local cafe and drop another 30 soles just to get a decent meal. Add some spotty wifi to the mix and you have a place that doesn't even come close to the value of what you pay. Drop the prices, fix the damn breakfast, and this place would be decent.

• Stayed: September 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 10 September 2014

We stayed at Piccola Locanda for 3 nights prior to doing the Salkantay trek, and then two more nights after the trek. The first time we stayed in Biblioteca and the second in Alex. Biblioteca was a charming room with great views, and we never had any problem with availability of the communal bathrooms or hot water. We stayed during the Fiesta de San Cristobal (the neighborhood festival) which meant that the room as very noisy at night, as the windows opened out to the street. (That being said, it was also a great place to stay to participate in the fiesta, as we were only a few steps away from the parade route and main festival area.) Alex is an ensuite room above the kitchen looking out into the courtyard, and I would not recommend it, as you are easily seen from the courtyard if you keep the curtains open, and we had water issues both with temperature and pressure. The room we originally wanted to stay in was Cecelia, but it was booked for both stays, however we peaked in and it was very cute, and with the view over Plaza del Armas would probably be the best room to stay in. Despite the noise, we liked the location because it was lively even very late at night, and we figured the steps were great training for our hike! We also found the hotel staff to be extremely helpful, doing everything from arranging same-day laundry service to booking a "city tour" taxi to calling a doctor to do a house call (which FYI is the same price as going to the clinic for a consultation, and clearly much more convenient) when I had some serious stomach issues two days before our hike.

Room Tip: Biblioteca is charming but can be loud as it looks over the street, and I imagine other street view...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank sanyamakadi
Reviewed 9 September 2014 via mobile

We have enjoyed a really nice view from our bedroom, it what clean but without any windows shelter and with a disco club next to it it was noisy. We have really enjoyed the breakfast in the morning and we do think that this place is nice but not a so good value for money.

Stayed: September 2014, travelled as a couple