New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Ranked #33 of 161 Hotels in Cusco
canada
“A Great Place to Stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2012

The Amaru Hostal was an amazing place. It has beautiful gardens and the room we were staying is was beautiful. I would recommend asking for a room upstairs as they tended to have the nicer view! The breakfast every morning included an egg, bread and salad and was complementary. The location couldn't be better in my opinion. It was so close to anything that we wanted to see!! The staff were helpful, my only concern is that my ViISA number may have been written down and stolen by one of their staff members. I paid by Visa for my stay and they took my card into the back room to run through their machine....this was the only purchase I made by VISA in my 1.5 month stay in Peru. When returning I found a whole bunch of charges made online using my card about a week after staying at Amaru.....I just wouldn't recommend using your VISA card at this place!!!

Room Tip: Ask for the top floor! Room 2 is not that great and the floors higher on the building have a nicer...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Shells444
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
Kansas City, MO
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2012

I was utterly blown away by Hostal Amuru. Stayed four nights in two different triple rooms with two friends. First room was on second floor of the hostal -- sweeping views of the historic center of Cusco and the mountains. Second room (after we overnighted at Amaru Valle in Urubamba) was on the first floor, and lacked the view.....but they probably want to share it with as many guests as possible.

Size of rooms was goldilocksy - not overly big, but not too small....an acceptable amount of space for three adults. Rooms were clean. Furnishings had a hand-carved wood look, which contributed well to the ambiance. Clean. Good size for private baths in the room. (One peculiarity -- the private baths are framed into the actual hotel room, so that does have an impact on privacy.) Also used shared bath for single rooms. It was clean, and it was very small. (If you cared about a big bathroom, you probably wouldn't get a room with a shared bath. Right?)

Hotel was also simply beautiful. Spanish colonial feel done perfectly. Three garden courtyards, golden-colored walls, natural woodwork, red tile roof. The French Candians who arrived kept saying "C'est bon" with amazement. The professional photos on the hotel's website do not really do the place justice.

Location is superb. Walk one block -- see the Inca foundations of the Archbishops Palace. Walk two more blocks -- you're in the main square. Walk three more blocks and you can pick from a supermarket OR the traditional Mercado San Pedro. (At 11,000 feet, that might be all the walking you have in you.)

What really wowed me about Hostal Amaru, though, was the service. Airport pickup -- 12 soles. Also, we opted to combine the hotel-arranged two-day tour of the Scared Valley and Macchu Pichu, with an overnight at Amaru Valle in Urubamba. Everything went EXACTLY as planned -- like to the MINUTE. Was very very pleased with the whole experience. On our first night, we asked for a knife to cut open some avocados. An employee brought them to us, with napkins and glasses, formally arranged on a serving tray!

Still not quite convinced? How about this: My backpack packing wasnt quite right, so I decided to use the hotel's laundry service for my socks, underwear, and a couple shirts. (7 soles per kilo) At the last minute, I threw in the pair of jeans I had been wearing. About 30 minutes after I dropped off the laundry, I realized I couldn't find my wallet. I feared I had left in my jeans. I went to the desk, but they had already sent my laundry off. So, they called the laundry service and the service did in fact find my wallet. Story over? No.....the hotel then had the laundry service have a courier return my wallet to me so that I was not inconvenienced! (All money and cards still there) WOW!

The ambiance, location, and service are among the best I have every experienced at any hotel, regardless of star rating or price. But, at $70 for a triple room, this place is basically going at backpacker hostel rates. To me, that makes Hostal Amaru a hotel value without parallel.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank BradleyJP
Yackandandah
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2012

Amaru Hostel has it all. The location in the middle of the best part of Cusco can't be beaten - you are within walking distance of everything. You are surrounded by eclectic shops and amazing cheap eateries. The arts and crafts abound all around you.

When you enter the hostel it is tranquil and a lovely escape from the bustle of the town. It's a haven. The service was second to none. Incredibly help and pleasant. There is a central courtyard that is beautifully laid out, with colourful plants and nice furniture. By the time you pass through it you will be calm.

Our room was very nice - well decorated and comfortable furniture. You can open windows to get fresh air and we had our own patio where we could sit and enjoy the views over the neighbourhood. The bathroom was good.

The breakfast was the best we had on our whole trip. Fresh juice, fresh fruit, yoghurt, crusty bread, eggs to order, tea, coffee and even hot chocolate for our girls.

Excellent.

Room Tip: Ask for one on the courtyard
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
Columbia, South Carolina, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2012

The location was really the best possible place to stay in Cusco but considering some of their competitors' pricing, it was priced a tad high comparably. The shower in room number 2 has nearly zero water pressure and a large amount of mold around the shower head. We were also told that we would be picked up the airport and were not. Then I had to pay for a taxi back to the airport. HOWEVER, it's a lovely place to stay with gorgeous views and a helpful staff.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms on the 2nd floor.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2012

My father and I were on a 2 week backpacking trip through a few tourist locations in Peru and stayed at Amaru Hostal on Cuesta San Blas on two different occasions. Although slightly more than we would have liked to pay (we were used to paying around 30USD per night and this one was 48USD for a double), we would stay here again.
Location: Great, close to centre, San Blas colonial district
Façade: Non-descript
Public Areas: Beautiful, well-maintained inner courtyards, plants
Staff: Efficient, professional, accommodating
Room: # 209 (second floor): Attractive décor, appropriate for colonial setting, comfortable beds, great view (two walls of windows); freezing without heat (provided after complaint but normally charged 3USD); great daytime light, terrible evening light; decent shower with hot water
Room: #1 (main floor with own terrace): Attractive décor, appropriate for colonial setting, comfortable beds (3 single, one queen), great view (two walls of windows); warmer than second floor room (perhaps just a warmer day), great daytime light, terrible evening light; decent shower with hot water
Noise: average (street noise and birds, but minimal)
Breakfast: Very good (fruit salad w/ yogurt and granola, eggs, bread, tea, fresh squeezed orange juice)
Value: would absolutely stay here again (could be about 10 dollars cheaper, but a great place)

Room Tip: See general review - enjoyed both room #1(own terrace, larger) and #209 (fantastic windows/view on t...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cusco
0.8 km away
1.1 km away
#59 of 161 in Cusco
0.1 km away
Tierra Viva Cusco San Blas

Been to Amaru Hostal? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK