“Just do it!!”

More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

This one is easy-coolest thing i have ever done, if you like hiking, the outdoors, a challenge and spectacular sights sign up!! The sacred valley and Cusco are also very cool spots to check out. Take the Hiram Bingham train back to Cusco after hiking the trail, its also well worth it! I need to go back!

1  Thank OBXTKN2
in 23 reviews
"worth the effort"
in 24 reviews

Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

We did this experience with Sam Travel, and it was excellent. Top to bottom a fantastic company to work with. Small groups are key, unlike the others who overload the groups and take away from the experience. I did a review for them, please read it.

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Walking the Inca Trail to Machu Picchu was pretty much to be the centrepiece of my trip to Peru. I booked early, to make sure I got a permit to trek the Inca trail, with BackTrack in Brisbane, Australia, and Intrepid (on their "Peruvian Pathways tour which had all that I wanted to see in Peru and provided an English-speaking guide). Intrepid used a company called Peak to provide everything on the ground in Peru, including porters, cooks, tents, mattress, groundsheet, a portable toilet (and someone to look after it), etc. I took my own sleeping bag, liner, blow-up pillow and trekking poles. You could hire some of that stuff, but I chose to take my own. Do take some toilet paper.
The equipment they provided was in very good condition - new or near-new National Geographic branded tents. The porters were very good, and everything was always set up when we arrived in to camp for lunch and for the night. The food was incredible!
We could give the porters up to 6 kilos of stuff to carry (and it's weighed - there are Government restrictions on how much porters are allowed to carry). You carry a day pack. Water (pre-boiled) is provided whenever you need it (I also used water purification tablets to be doubly sure).
You'll need your passport for identification purposes.
We left from Cusco, overnighted at Ollantaytambo (which has it's own Inca ruins to see), and left from there by bus to the start point.
The trek was not that hard, as trekking goes. But that's not to say it wasn't hard. I strapped my knees every morning. You have to be fit. Remember, it's at altitude. One of our number felt the effects. I took diamox.
I went in the rainy season (March - the track is closed in February, as I recall) - you roll the dice - as it was a bit cheaper. It meant that there were people trekking. But it did rain. Mostly at night, which makes you question whether you really need to go to the toilet! But it also meant low cloud over Machu Picchu. So I didn't get those magnificent vistas over Machu Picchu, but as I say, you roll the dice to save costs.
Still - bucket list stuff, and I'm really glad I did it!
Thanks to all at BackTrack, Intrepid and Peak.

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Hiking the Inca Trail was easily one of the best travel decisions I've ever made. Of course, I was excited about going to see Machu Picchu, but I didn't expect to love the hike so much.

Yes, it is challenging and strenuous, and you should probably enjoy hiking and physically train to do it. For it to really be enjoyable, then go with a reputable trekking company. They take so much of the responsibility off of the traveler making it easy to kick back and enjoy.

I researched several companies and decided to go with Alpaca Expeditions. I don't believe I could've gone with a better company. My friends and I had such a great experience. Request the guides: Ronald S. and Robinzon.