Open today: 8:30 AM - 1:00 PM, 3:00 PM - 7:30 PM
Review Highlights
Excellent 2D1N trek

My friends and I decided to go on the 2D1N trek and we had the guide Virginio. He was an excellent... read more

Reviewed yesterday
dominuswalker
via mobile
Classic 4 day Inca trek!! AMAZING!!!

My boyfriend and I completed our Inca trail trek with alpaca expeditions yesterday. They were... read more

Reviewed yesterday
nadiadoma
Ballarat, Australia
via mobile

4,876 results
All reviews green machine cake inca trail chose alpaca juan carlos machu picchu every meal amazing porters amazing food amazing experience head porter soups other companies air mattress day hike these guys toilet tent
Reviewed 21 August 2018

Great guides (Henri and Marisol). Great porters and chef. Brilliant group. Trip of a lifetime. Well looked after.

Date of experience: August 2018
Review collected in partnership with this attraction
Reviewed 21 August 2018

Me and my husband have just completed (and survived) the Salkantay Trail with Alpaca Expeditions.

I would recommend this company and this trek to everyone!

First, we reserved it only one week in advance (couldn't think of a better last-minute birthday gift for my husband). Inca Trail is overcrowded. Around 500 tourists enter it every day, while for Salkantay Trail that number is under 30. It means we were pretty much alone all the time. We would occasionally meet some locals with mules and see a few houses. Other than that, it was serene and beautiful nature ALL THE WAY to Macchu Picchu. Snow-capped mountains, beautiful valleys and piercing blue lakes.

Second, Alpaca Staff were amazing.
Our guide, Tino, was one of the nicest, humblest and caring human beings I've ever encountered. I got altitude sickness, because we were spending the first night at an altitude of approx 15,000 ft - and Tino made sure I got over it fast. He was helping with herbal essences, hot drinks and advice (He also had an oxygen tank ready for me, but I didn't use it). When we got to Macchu Picchu on the last day of the trail, and Tino was taking us around the ruins and talking about the Inca history, random strangers asked to join us, because his knowledge and storytelling were great (and on point)!
Our chef, Ramon, was amazingly cheerful ALL THE TIME! My husband has the worst dietary restrictions, and Ramon managed to keep him full and happy this whole trip. As a dessert for one of our dinners, he prepared a banana in pisco and then lit it up. He just walked into the dining tent with the pan on fire wearing his chef hat! It was delicious.
His Assistant Chef, Pablo, was always there to make sure we had hot water to wash ourselves in the morning and in the evening. He was a little shy, but always played cheerful tunes from his phone while he was trekking.
Our Horseman, Manuel, was managing 5 mules. Yes! It took 5 mules to carry all the stuff. He was amazing with them. Always giving them the time to rest. He was also the fastest member of our group. It took him 1-hr once to get to the camp site, while for me it was a 4-hr walk.
All our Alpaca team was incredibly friendly and caring. These guys are in some serious physical shape. I thought I was too, hahah! Tino explained to us that during the off-season for tourism, the majority of the staff do farming. Tourism in Cusco is a major creator of jobs. For example, there are 15,000 porters working in Cusco right now. It's so hard to choose, which company to do a tour with, because there are hundreds of them, big and small. Alpaca treats its employees really well, so I'm glad we chose them.

Third, what really makes Alpaca stand out from competition is their customer service. Tino was constantly checking with us, whether we needed anything. We had some feedback about our hotel in Aguas Calientes. He immediately passed it to their Customer Service team. So when we got back to Cusco, a Customer Relationships Manager rode with us to our hotel and asked to elaborate on our feedback and wrote everything down. I mean, these guys really care and want you to have the best experience of your life! Tino was also checking with us via WhatsApp, whether we got on our train back to Cusco ok.

All in all, we had an amazing trip! 740 photos total, and all of them are majestic. I'm incredibly grateful to Alpaca Expeditions for helping us, foreigners, discover the beauty and hospitality of Peru!

1  Thank DariaAlexand
Reviewed 21 August 2018

My family's amazing experience on the Inca Trail would not have been possible without Alpaca Expeditions. As other reviews have noted, everything is taken care of for you besides doing the actual hike - clean water, coca tea every night, amazing meals, clean and comfortable camping supplies, etc. Our guides Lizandro and Luz were extremely knowledgeable about everything from Incan culture to the different plant species we came upon on the trail. The guides made sure my parents, who were a bit slower on the hike, were always accompanied and let them go their pace when necessary. Their optimism was much appreciated and definitely made me feel more comfortable.

Alpaca was also very flexible for last minute rentals, carrying extra weight when needed, and arranging for transportation back to Cusco (including helping us get on an earlier train and dropping us off to our hotel on the last night). Super grateful to have had such an experience tour company during my family's first camping trip. Extra shoutout to the porters and chefs who helped carry our belongings, cooked each of our meals, set up our campsite each night, and even applauded each hiker as we completed each portion of the trail, all without complaint.

Some highlights of the trip - seeing the Milky Way galaxy and constellations the first night, making it through Dead Woman's Pass, the amazing views inside the cloud forest on the 3rd day, and getting to know the rest of the hikers and guides.

Reviewed 21 August 2018 via mobile

I would highly recommend Alpaca Expeditions. They are very professional and our guide Alvin was extremely knowledgeable and helped to bring the whole experience to life. Armando (chef) cooked some delicious food to help energise us for the trek. Thank you Alvin and team for making our experience truly memorable.

Reviewed 21 August 2018 via mobile

I’ve just completed the 2D/1N inca trail with camping and it has been absolutely amazing. Alvin is by far the best tour guide, he spoke fluent English and is very passionate about his work which shines through when he is explaining. He took care of everything and made sure that me and my friend were comfortable at all times. If you have Alvin as your guide you’ll be in safe and knowledgable hands. In addition the food was of such a high standard Armando the Chef cooked amazing food each and every time and it was delicious, as a vegetarian I thought i would struggle but they went out of their way to provide me with wonderful veggie delights. Last but not least the porters are absolutely fantastic, they are very humble and hard working and again go above and beyond for your comfort. Definitely choose Alpaca you will not be disappointed.