“Exceptional Tour Company!!!!”
Review of Alpaca Expeditions

Alpaca Expeditions
Ranked #1 of 628 Outdoor Activities in Cusco
More attraction details
Owner description: Alpaca Expeditions is an experienced culture and adventure travel company that creates customized tours for travelers visiting Peru. We will work with you to create the trip of a lifetime, whether you dream of trekking through the Andes on a 4 day climb to the lost city of the Incas or conquering the heights of Macchu Picchu through the indulgence of a luxurious train, let us make all your dreams come true. Alpaca Expeditions is the only company using satellite phones to operate adventure trekking tours to Machu Picchu as your safety is more important to us.
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Our tour guide, Ronald S., met our family (my husband and our two young adult daughters and myself) at the train station in Aguas Calientes and walked us to our hotel. He was very nice and friendly and offered to take us on an optional tour. Our girls wanted to go so off we went walking to the Machupichuu museum which was about a 45 minute walk away along the roadway adjacent to the river. We had an enjoyable time and then retreated to our hotel to relax before our “big” day the next day to tour Machupicchu! The next morning Ronald met us at 5:30am and took us to the buses. Upon arriving, Ronald led us to a station where we could have our passports stamped with “Machupichuu” (how it’s spelled in Peru) which was very cool. He was the perfect guide. He was very knowledgeable and patient and he did an incredible job at taking us to the perfect picture vantage points/picture spots! We learned so much from him about the ancient Incan civilization. He was very organized and had a binder filled with drawings and diagrams to help illustrate the information he was conveying to us. Machupichuu is simply amazing!!!! He left about 1 1/2 hours before we did, giving us some time alone as a family to explore the remainder of the ruins before heading back. We met in town later and he treated us to lunch at Indio Feliz. (Because our hotel included dinner, and Alpaca Tours also included dinner, Alpaca offered to treat us to lunch instead). As we sat at a cozy round table by the window as it was pouring outside we were served a bounty of delicious foods that looked too beautiful to eat! We gathered around the table, and later, my daughter pointed out it felt like a scene from “Anthony Bourdain, Parts Unkown”. Here we were from the USA sitting down to lunch with a Peruvian of Quechuan decent listening to stories of his childhood, his family and his upbringing & his hikes on the Inca Trail, asking questions & sharing a few laughs while eating Peruvian food. It was life at its best. We loved having him as our guide and we totally loved Alpaca. They were very professional. (Later, when the train accident on 7/30/18 disrupted hundreds of travelers like us, Ronald met us in town to check on us & told us he also was stranded in town as he had planned to catch the 3:30 pm train that day). It was somewhat comforting to see him amidst the turmoil at the train station. Nine hours later, at Ronald’s advice to get on the next train, we squeezed onto the last departing train at 1:30 am and Alpaca Tours met us in the town of OIlaytantambo at 3am and bused us to Cusco on the backroads through the Sacred Valley where we arrived at our hotel at 5am. It was a scary ordeal for us but they were trustworthy and made sure their patrons all made it to their destination safely. They deserve kudos for their professionalism and attentiveness to their customers.) We also loved the fact that the guides are all native Peruvians. It was our pleasure to meet Ronald & our privilege to have him as our guide. We highly recommend Alpaca Tours if you are considering going to Peru or Machu Pichuu!

All reviews
in 135 reviews
"amazing porters"
in 31 reviews

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Great guides (Henri and Marisol). Great porters and chef. Brilliant group. Trip of a lifetime. Well looked after.

Review collected in partnership with this attraction
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Me and my husband have just completed (and survived) the Salkantay Trail with Alpaca Expeditions.

I would recommend this company and this trek to everyone!

First, we reserved it only one week in advance (couldn't think of a better last-minute birthday gift for my husband). Inca Trail is overcrowded. Around 500 tourists enter it every day, while for Salkantay Trail that number is under 30. It means we were pretty much alone all the time. We would occasionally meet some locals with mules and see a few houses. Other than that, it was serene and beautiful nature ALL THE WAY to Macchu Picchu. Snow-capped mountains, beautiful valleys and piercing blue lakes.

Second, Alpaca Staff were amazing.
Our guide, Tino, was one of the nicest, humblest and caring human beings I've ever encountered. I got altitude sickness, because we were spending the first night at an altitude of approx 15,000 ft - and Tino made sure I got over it fast. He was helping with herbal essences, hot drinks and advice (He also had an oxygen tank ready for me, but I didn't use it). When we got to Macchu Picchu on the last day of the trail, and Tino was taking us around the ruins and talking about the Inca history, random strangers asked to join us, because his knowledge and storytelling were great (and on point)!
Our chef, Ramon, was amazingly cheerful ALL THE TIME! My husband has the worst dietary restrictions, and Ramon managed to keep him full and happy this whole trip. As a dessert for one of our dinners, he prepared a banana in pisco and then lit it up. He just walked into the dining tent with the pan on fire wearing his chef hat! It was delicious.
His Assistant Chef, Pablo, was always there to make sure we had hot water to wash ourselves in the morning and in the evening. He was a little shy, but always played cheerful tunes from his phone while he was trekking.
Our Horseman, Manuel, was managing 5 mules. Yes! It took 5 mules to carry all the stuff. He was amazing with them. Always giving them the time to rest. He was also the fastest member of our group. It took him 1-hr once to get to the camp site, while for me it was a 4-hr walk.
All our Alpaca team was incredibly friendly and caring. These guys are in some serious physical shape. I thought I was too, hahah! Tino explained to us that during the off-season for tourism, the majority of the staff do farming. Tourism in Cusco is a major creator of jobs. For example, there are 15,000 porters working in Cusco right now. It's so hard to choose, which company to do a tour with, because there are hundreds of them, big and small. Alpaca treats its employees really well, so I'm glad we chose them.

Third, what really makes Alpaca stand out from competition is their customer service. Tino was constantly checking with us, whether we needed anything. We had some feedback about our hotel in Aguas Calientes. He immediately passed it to their Customer Service team. So when we got back to Cusco, a Customer Relationships Manager rode with us to our hotel and asked to elaborate on our feedback and wrote everything down. I mean, these guys really care and want you to have the best experience of your life! Tino was also checking with us via WhatsApp, whether we got on our train back to Cusco ok.

All in all, we had an amazing trip! 740 photos total, and all of them are majestic. I'm incredibly grateful to Alpaca Expeditions for helping us, foreigners, discover the beauty and hospitality of Peru!

1  Thank DariaAlexand
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

My family's amazing experience on the Inca Trail would not have been possible without Alpaca Expeditions. As other reviews have noted, everything is taken care of for you besides doing the actual hike - clean water, coca tea every night, amazing meals, clean and comfortable camping supplies, etc. Our guides Lizandro and Luz were extremely knowledgeable about everything from Incan culture to the different plant species we came upon on the trail. The guides made sure my parents, who were a bit slower on the hike, were always accompanied and let them go their pace when necessary. Their optimism was much appreciated and definitely made me feel more comfortable.

Alpaca was also very flexible for last minute rentals, carrying extra weight when needed, and arranging for transportation back to Cusco (including helping us get on an earlier train and dropping us off to our hotel on the last night). Super grateful to have had such an experience tour company during my family's first camping trip. Extra shoutout to the porters and chefs who helped carry our belongings, cooked each of our meals, set up our campsite each night, and even applauded each hiker as we completed each portion of the trail, all without complaint.

Some highlights of the trip - seeing the Milky Way galaxy and constellations the first night, making it through Dead Woman's Pass, the amazing views inside the cloud forest on the 3rd day, and getting to know the rest of the hikers and guides.