“Beautiful decor, would have hoped the Sushi was better”
Review of Sakura Sushi - CLOSED

Sakura Sushi
Price range: US$ 7 - US$ 10
Cuisines: Sushi
Dining options: After-hours, Delivery, Outdoor Seating
Dining options: After-hours, Delivery, Outdoor Seating
Reviewed 15 June 2016

Sakura Sushi is one of a handful of Sushi restaurants in Cuenca. As you walk in, you are put to ease with the calming and spacious decor of the restaurant. Our table ordered four full rolls and two orders of Niguiri. I was surprised to find they served Kikkoman soy sauce. Overall, the sushi was good. However, I need to say that the rice was undercooked. Some pieces were even crunchy. While the flavors and presentation were excellent, the undercooked rice spoiled the experience. In addition to the undercooked rice, the rice to non-rice ratio was very high. My wife’s California rolls had the non-rice portion too small for the rice portion. We like sushi so we will probably try the restaurant again in hopes that the chef just had a bad day

Reviewed 29 December 2015 via mobile

This restaurant reopened in another location at Manuel María Palacios 121 y Remigio Crespo, diagonal to banco del pichincha.

On their Facebook page, they show amazing pictures of tasteful looking sushis, but the reality is far from that.

We haven't seen on the other tables sushi looking like what they showcase on their FB page. The sad thing is the place was loaded with locals who seemed to enjoy, but let's face it, this is not sushi.

After eating sushis in the best places on Earth, we started the habit of asking to have rice vinegar to mix with our soy sauce. We realized that the better the rice vinegar is, the better the sushis are.

At Sakura, they brought us blend white vinegar! We were amazed and said we want the same vinegar with which they seasoned the rice. On the third attempt, we got something that was having a kind of sweetness...

My wife ordered two makis with langoustines and both were tasteless with small bits of what was looking like simple shrimps.

On my side, we told the manager on arrival that I was allergic to seafood and I couldn't have shrimp, crab or any other shellfish.

No problem he said, and agreed to prepare two specialities with tuna and salmon only. Tuna was ok (despite the fact it's usually very good in Ecuador) and salmon was just bad. Not sushi quality at all. The worst is they brought my wife's rolls containing langoustines next to mine!! Remember, I'm allergic...

I can understand that locals might like that since they never experienced something else, but I would not recommend any foreigners to go there. It's just a waste of money. Any sushi counter in a North American shopping mall is way better.

Reviewed 15 September 2014

Super clean modern great place for sushi ! On Wednesday they have a special buy two get one free ! Love the mix of sushi ! Easy to find near Parque de la Madre

1  Thank Cinziatorres
Reviewed 28 November 2013 via mobile

We went here the first day we got into cuenca, excited to eat some sushi for the first time in months. The cheapest (basic) rolls were $8, which seemed like a little much, so we just got two.

They weren't bad, but not good either. Okay flavor, but they were 3/4 rice. No wasabi, either.

The atmosphere was nothing special and the service wasn't great. We found a better sushi experience elsewhere in cuenca.

Reviewed 28 August 2013

Left over rice from the night before and very old fish. Ate two pieces. That was enough. It is supposed to open at 1pm. Staff got there at 1:15. We were in no rush at all but they gave us food that was old and rancid. I would never go back under any circumstances.

3  Thank Intensepence